VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:26:58 09/08/06 Fri
Author: Cameron
Subject: Similar situation
In reply to: Cindy Snyder 's message, "Searching for first Friesian" on 17:40:41 09/07/06 Thu

>Your story sounds so much like mine! I bought my first Friesian about a year ago. I have a 20+ y/o TWH and have actually had TWs for about 30 yrs. I used to show when I was younger, but now in my 40s, I find trail riding is my passion and is much more relaxing.

I too have a Friesian breeder who lives about 1 mile from my house and for years I have dreamed of owning a Friesian. I would go play with the babies and brush the big beauties at this breeders and stand in wonder as he drove them by my home. I did not think I could ever afford to buy one, I wasn't sure I wanted a yearling which was more in my price range. Even though I have had horses literally my whole life, I have never raised one and trained it and I know enough about horses to know that you never really know enough!

But anyway, a year ago the breeder had a bad season as he would say and every foal born was a colt. Of course he wanted fillies and couldn't wait to get rid of some of the "boys" so I was able to buy Nigel for a deal, plus some work my husband did for the breeder. Nigel is now 2 y/o and has been very easy to work with. He is about 15.2 hands now and I can literally crawl all over him (I am a small adult). My younger nieces and nephews sit on him while we lead him around and I do some basic training in the round pen with him. We have long-lined him some and hopefully next year we will start hooking him up with the breeders horse and teach him to drive. I will send him for some professional training probably next spring but I have found Nigel easy to train so far and that working with the local breeder has been helpful.

Anyway, not to go on and on, and I do not claim to be an expert on buying Friesians as I only have one, but to me if you could buy one locally it would be better. You could go and get to know the youngsters before you pick out the one you want and know what the dam's personality is. Find one that has the personality that fits you and what you want to do with it, make sure it is in good health and has good conformation. It took me two months to decide on which colt I wanted. Nigel's father is also Anne 340. Nigel is full of personality and has good movement and looks and so far has been my dream come true. Not all Friesians that come from a "show" barn are "show material".

I wish you all the luck in finding your first Friesian. How exciting!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.