VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:55:48 09/26/06 Tue
Author: Leslie Berro, L.M.B.T.
Subject: Barefoot or Shod?
In reply to: Andrea 's message, "barefeet?" on 16:09:37 09/01/06 Fri

My farrier and I laugh about keeping Gunnar's feathers out of the way for his trims (He's barefoot and I have every intention of keeping him that way.). We use a hairclip with a spring; you know, the one you squeeze the top together and the semi-round teeth separate, so you can clip your hair. Takes 2 seconds to put on. Just twist the feathers and clip up and will not hurt the horse if he moves suddenly. (My farrier did admit to me that once he accidentally burned the feathers of a draft.)

I believe it best to try to attack a problem from the inside out. In this case, determine whether your horse is consuming enough fat (Omega 3) and is well hydrated. I supplement my horse's diet with Master's Hoof Blend (Vita-Flex) and Omega Horseshine (Omega Fields). Despite a dry summer, I have not had to externally moisturize his hooves but nonetheless have on hand (a) Effol's "Hufsalbe," (b) Linderlove's "Wound & Scratches Butter Balm," (c) Horse Holistics' "Hoof Blend Essential Oils" and (d) Earth Horse Essentials' "Magic Mud & Herb Poultice (in the event of abcesses, sole bruising, frog problems)." So I feel ready for just about anything! Hope that helps.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.