VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:12:27 11/02/06 Thu
Author: kyla
Subject: Judging and the loin issue

Ok so as a dressage rider and a friesian enthusiast, I have an issue with a certian problem I see within the breed. Friesians in general tend to have very weak loin connections. As a dressage rider, this is seen as a serious fault in a potential dressage horse, as the loin is essentially the connection between the horses motor and his front end. What I am wondering, is why the inspectors seem to be kind of overlooking this. They talk about wanting to breed a sport/dressage horse, they talk about moving the breed in this direction, but it seems they are really missing this issue. They talk about movement ect ect but they seemt to be forgetting that form leads to function. A HUGE reason friesians have a problem with hind legs flailing out behind, not stepping under is because of this weak connection. I just think if they want a strong dressage breed they need to approve stallions that are very strong in this area. Some are good this way, alot are not. Of course you can't select a horse that has major weeknesses and a good connection, however, I would say they should overlook certain things that are not really related to function if they find a stallion with a superb loin connection. Ie there was a gorgeous, correct Lukas stallion being presented at our keuring. Tad too short in the neck. STILL a very nice horse...sheesh dressage riders LIKE a shorter neck.(and I don't mean he lacked type, or that he had an ugly or stump neck). The loin was incredible..the entire topline was incedible. I could have missed something, but clearly, this conformation issue is not a priority with the dutch. IF they want this breed to develope it's carrying power, they MUST adress this issue.And yes, I think they can do this without sacrificing type. Tonnes of stallions aim for approval out there, it shouldn't be impossible to find.
Anyone else notice this??
kyla

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.