VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:10:44 11/07/06 Tue
Author: Kelsey
Subject: Thomas
In reply to: Jill 's message, "FHANA and short friesian lifespan" on 14:39:29 11/07/06 Tue

As a large breed, Friesians do tend to have shorter lifespans on average than the smaller breeds, though there are quite a few who make it into their late twenties or thirties. I would say the norm is early to mid-twenties. However, this isn't particular to Friesians, most large horses of draft type tend to have shorter life spans.

Although I will say that the Friesian community, perhaps because it is so small and close knit, so we hear about everything, seems to have more than it's fair share of tragedies, with horses dying young.

From what I've heard "through the grape vine" about Thomas, he was in a trailer accident some time ago and as a result of his injuries he was no longer able to be bred and had to be gelded (so I'm guessing either an injury to his back or his legs). I guess since then his health has been declining to the point that he had to be put to sleep.
None of this is confirmed at all.. it's third..fourth..fifth hand info. It might be that some other health issue came up.

Anyway, he was euthanized, so it was not just that he was old. There was a problem somewhere, poor guy.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.