VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:44:44 11/17/06 Fri
Author: Kelsey
Subject: Baroque
In reply to: megan 's message, "baroque is better" on 10:57:51 11/17/06 Fri

I agree, I tend to admire the more baroque horses.. like Leffert and Tjimme.. elegant and in possession of some amazing movement, but heavier boned and hairy.

1) Friesian popularity has skyrocketed! I'd never seen so many people or horses of that breed in one area.

-It has! I first got into the Friesian 'scene' in 1999..not that long ago.. and they were still pretty uncommon. People didn't know what a Friesian was, and you had to explain it to them..etc. etc. and when they saw one they would think it was a bit Morgan or something. The New England keur has probably doubled in size since '99.

So yeah..Friesian population and popularity in the US has exploded. While this is good in some ways, for breed promotion, etc.. I think it is also a danger, the absolute worst thing that can happen to any breed of animal, is to have it become a 'fad'. More and more people are buying Friesians just because they're pretty, and more and more people are breeding...and also importing..without really knowing what they're looking for other than blackness and hair.

2) Due to the popularity, it seems almost every other barn has started breeding this magnificent horses, either pure or crossbred. It also has seemed to (slowly but surely) bring down the prices. There were many horses under 20k, some under 15k or even 10k! 15,000 seems to be the typical price now.

Personally, I haven't found that prices are all that lower than they have been. $15k was the normal amount for a typical young, green-broke gelding. If anything I have seen price increases, as people attach a price tag to what is now becoming well known titles, such as Ster, and 1st or 2nd premies. People are becoming more discerning and knowledgable about the breed, so horses from desirable lines, or with desirable characteristics are fetching more. I think it used to be that Friesians were so rare, their prices tended

3) Modern body types are taking over! The majority of the horses were extremely tall and thin, with long faces and short manes. They also seemed a little highstrung or even unfriendly! But that may have been due to the atmosphere of the event.

Yes, I think this is true. The FPS has said it is moving it's breeding goal towards a more modern type as that is the general demand...for horses who can compete successfully, and I think most other registries are, or have already, been following the same trend.
I also agree that the newer 'type' horses are more highstrung..and this is what bothers me! To me the most important and defining Friesian characteristic is their personality, and I would absolutely hate to see that great character dissapear in favor of showy movement or sport potential.

But..that said.. I think the baroque Friesian will stick around as long as there are people who prefer them..and I think there are enough to preserve the type, when/if they fall out of favor. There is just nothing that compares to the build and presence of a baroque Friesian.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.