VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 06:51:45 05/03/16 Tue
Author: Holly Gaskell
Subject: Severe spraddle / can't walk stand / need help

I have a chick that I adopted 2 days ago that needs help.
It was the only chick to pip and hatch out of its whole hatch according to the lady who bred it. Born April 16, 2016 so 2 weeks old now. She is an Americauna/Easter Egger mix.
When she was born, she was severely spraddle legged with one foot over her head. With taping for spraddle leg, she now has her legs both below her but sits on her back hocks and can't stand up and stay standing, and cannot walk. When I got her, I retaped her legs above and below the hocks to stabilize and straighten them forward. I realized the left foot was turning out to the right and both feet had issues with the toes curling/turning in.
So I took sticky foam and pressed her feet to it, in the correct position, and trimmed to shape and taped them. Overnight (yesterday) I had the feet taped together (sort of bracing them straight like you would for a club foot baby). This morning I removed the tape securing the two feet together so she could move her feet individually and try to "walk".
Her right leg is weaker than the left and so she leans right. She also will pitch forward and topple face first sometimes. If she falls over she will quickly right herself using her wings and getting her feet under her and she can scoot around in this way, trying to walk but basically flipping and picking herself back up.
If lightly supported when drinking she will raise herself up a bit when drinking but cannot stand fully straight like an ordinary chick.
She basically "stands" on her hocks and her lower leg mostly is straight from her hocks down, with her feet straight out, she doesn't really stand on her feet. I have put pads on her hocks now as I was working about her getting sores.
She is MUCH improved since birth and is more strong and mobile than when I adopted her 2 days ago.

I removed the hobble above her hocks tonight as it seemed her upper legs are staying in the right position. I still have spraddle hobbles on the lowed legs (vet wrap) and she is still taped into her shoes

I have done some physical therapy with her including putting her in a small cup til she got out (less than an hour) ... And supporting her lightly to stand when she is drinking, and supporting her to be in a standing position and manually moving her feet to walk in a normal pattern. Like showing her how to move feet and be upright. She does well supported but leans to the right and will fall over face first or to the right if not supported, then will steady herself bank into an upright laying position either with her feet under her or out to the left side (leaning on her right). She does not rest on her feet but rests on her hocks.

She has been on chick starter by the original owner/breeder and yesterday I switched her to a mix of medicated game bird starter (higher protein and nutrients, used for my silkie and bantam chicks), as well as Ranch-Way easy-feed (mash) chick starter which she loves.

I also have high quality vitamins in her water. I have pebbles in her water so she cannot drown.

Would appreciate suggestions and advice for treatment.
Hocks are not flat; I don't se any evidence of a slipped tendon.

I know she may not ever be totally normal but I would like to see if I can get her standing and walking, so she can live a more normal
Life as she grows up. I don't want to cull her.

She eats and drinks very well and has a strong will to make it. Very sweet personality. She moves around (albiet awkwardly) and will sort of half stand up and scoot/ move forward, fall over, readjust etc. She eats, drinks and is happy. It frustrates her that she can't walk and move like a normal chick.
I am hoping once the shoes come off she will stand easier.

She was alone until
Yesterday and now has a 3 old Brabanter Chick with her as a friend who is also a little special needs but can stand and move around. That chick (chick #2) has a strong right leg but something isn't quite correct with the left leg, when she goes to use it, so she walks backwards or kind of hops forward -- but is getting stronger and moving better although still not walking normally. Her breeder said she had a hard time pipping and has been wonky since she was born. But she is doing pretty good and I am hopeful she will continue to normalize with her walking as she gets older. She is not spraddle legged and her toes and feet are fine. Her tendons look fine to me also.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you may have. You can email
Me directly at holly@azgaskell.com

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.