VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:55:08 04/03/17 Mon
Author: D C T - friendly poultry orthopedist
Subject: Re: chick with swollen hock
In reply to: NG 's message, "chick with swollen hock" on 20:47:50 04/03/17 Mon

Yes, but I call it a displaced Achilles tendon. This tendon crosses the rear of the hock joint and should be in a groove
in the end of the bone but it can get pushed to the side and not be able to get back in place. The longer it is out of place the more the surrounding tissues swell making it very hard to return it and make it stay in place. Hold the chick one of your hands and grip bad leg just above the foot,pull foot behind chick straightening hock joint, then twist foot while watching the tendon. You should be twisting so that the back toe begins to point outward but must stop when tendon is centered on the hock. When you release your grip and gently sit the chick on its feet the tendon may stay in place but is very likely to pop out of place again if there is swelling blocking the channel. This is where a chick chair or body sling is VERY useful.
Years ago I found a freshly hatched peachick and got the tendon in place right then before any damage had been done. So when I sat the peachick down it did some wild running and jumping so that I feared it would displace that tendon but it did not. But a different peachick had both tendons out of place and had some swelling. It took nearly two weeks of serious effort with chick chair and braces before that one was repaired. I must tell you that sometimes I have not been able to repair a chick even after much effort

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.