VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]
Subject: Robinson/Roberson Surname Southern Band of Tuscarora Connection

Author:
Gavin (Hopeful)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:14:47 07/18/08 Fri
Author Host/IP: NoHost/167.192.44.252

Hi, My name is Gavin Roberson. I, as many people do, have the story that has been passed down that on my Roberson/Robinson side of the family we have an American Indian ancestor. My 4th Grt Grandfather was James Robinson Sr b. 1752 in N.C. d.1832 in South Georgia. From records I know he lived in the Pitt County, N.C. area from the late 1700's to early 1800's but I do not know where he was born or the names of his parents. It has been passed down that his wife was named Mary E.(Last Name Unknown), b. around 1757 in N.C., and that she was Tuscarora or of Tuscarora descent from the North Eastern part of North Carolina. Her parents are unkown also. It is believed that they married about 1774 but location is not known. By the time their first child was born they were living in Pitt County, North Carolina. Their known sons were: Wiley b. 1774, Thomas b. 1776, William b. 1777, Robert b. 1778, John b. 1789, James Jr. b. 1792 and they had one other son named Allen b.______. They are all believed to have been born in Pitt County, N.C. James Sr. was a Rev. Sol in the N.C. Militia during the Revolutionary War. James served as James Robson in the North Carolina militia. (Roster of North Carolina Soldiers in the American Revolution) and in the 1827 Georgia Land Lottery, he drew land as a Revolutionary soldier as James Roberson of Wayne Co.(Ga Land Lottery 1827). As you can see the name has been spelled various ways. I know that Roberson and deviations of the spelling is a surname that is found in the Southern Band of Tuscarora. If I am correct, I believe that the Tuscarora had a reservation in Bertie County, N.C. named Indian Woods until the early 1800's. At that time majority of the Chiefs signed away the lands in N.C. and many families moved north and joined the Six Nations in the N.Y. area. But many others stayed in N.C. and they blended into the general population. These descendants are now the Southern Band of Tuscarora. I was wondering if anyone may have any information that might help me prove or disprove this story about my 4th Grt Grandmother that has been passed down for many generations. I have seen in many places where this story is mentioned and I want to know the truth behind it. Any information anyone might have will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.