VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]
Subject: Letty (Hatchet Grey) Durham m. James Thomas Howard

Author:
Sandy Hecla
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 07:56:24 10/19/06 Thu
Author Host/IP: 71-32-7-32.spkn.qwest.net/71.32.7.32

Hi, My ancestor Letty (Hatchet Grey) Durham b ca 1744 Cherokee Nation, Wilkes Co, Ga or Asheville Co, N C. d. 1843 Morgan Co, Ky married James (Thomas) Howard b Jun 8, 1740 Cherokee Nation, Wilkes Co, Ga d Jun 5, 1822 Morgan Co, Ky. He Died in an Indian attack. Thomas Howard, Lettie's husband was killed by the Shawnee Indians. It's believed Letty's name was Durham. She was Full Blood Cherokee Indain, she came from the Asheville, N.C.Area, it was part of the Cherokee Nation in North Carolina and the border of Tennessee, the War Trace trail went through Asheville and the Cherokee Nation and Hopewell Treaty on Keowee River was 28 Nov 1785.. Her father was believed to be a Samuel Durham b ca 1710, I have found no records of him or Letty. Also, her grandson, Riley (Dood) Howard, son of William (son of Letty and Thomas), filed a claim for Cherokee compensation in 1907. He stated his grandmother was Cherokee and his grandfather was Thomas Howard. Refence #1843. I havn't been able to find any records of this claim. I come off of Letty's son Thomas. Older pictures of family members show we have Indian heritage, but we havent been able to find proof. Other children of Letty and Thomas: James, Thomas, John N (War Jack), Benjamin S, Julida/Judith (Mary Polly), William, Elizabeth, Celia (Seley) Sinera, Sarah and Moses Howard. Son Thomas married Francis (Frankie) Jackson, she was supposed to be full blood Cherokee as well. I come off thier daughter Matilda Howard m. Joseph (Jackson/Johnson) Montgomery. The Howard and Montgomery lines all married into Cherokee Indian blood lines the Jackson, Williams and Coopers. I hope I have given enough info to find someone that can help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Sandy

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Letty (Hatchet Grey) Durham m. James Thomas HowardJennie howard18:24:48 05/10/07 Thu
Re: Letty (Hatchet Grey) Durham m. James Thomas HowardTammy19:41:58 07/05/07 Thu
Re: Letty (Hatchet Grey) Durham m. James Thomas HowardFaye Greene12:35:05 11/29/07 Thu
Re: Letty (Hatchet Grey) Durham m. James Thomas HowardConnie21:24:01 01/24/09 Sat
Re: Letty (Hatchet Grey) Durham m. James Thomas HowardSandy H16:06:31 04/09/09 Thu
Re: Letty (Hatchet Grey) Durham m. James Thomas HowardCurtis Howard (Working on Howard Genelogy)04:10:02 10/25/10 Mon

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.