Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
FUND FREE MAMMOGRAMS
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]
Subject: Re: Cherokee, or Kickapoo--or Kispoko Shawnee?

Author:
Dara
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:53:03 04/19/07 Thu
Author Host/IP: c-71-61-64-163.hsd1.wv.comcast.net/71.61.64.163
In reply to: Kathie - Board Administrator 's message, "Re: Cherokee, or Kickapoo--or Kispoko Shawnee?" on 12:26:47 07/21/06 Fri

ok...I figured out more, I believe. Chief Tanaghrisson is my direct ancestor. He was a Catawba born, adopted by the Seneca and he died in the late 1700s in Pennsylvania. His daughter Maths (Nundawaono) married my ancestor John Owens, the Welsh trader, in a Seneca blanket ceremony in Tyler, Virginia (now West Virginia) they were my great grandparents, 5 generations back from what I can see.

Elizabeth's father must have been one half Kishpoko Shawnee, because the records state his mother was Indian...but why my cousins insist she was an adopted Cherokee (Elizabeth) I do not know. I know, also, her husband called her a "Chichapoo Indian" on her death certificate. Kishpoko Shawnee is the only tribe that makes sense, becase of the geographic location.

Where the stories about an adopted Cherokee ancestor, and her being Elizabeth Edgell, I heard when I was a kid come from, I do not know...unless they meant it was either Ida (my grandmother who died when I was 2 years old, in 1960)but that makes no sense, she could not possibly have been born in 1838...or somebody else...?

I also discovered I am a direct descendant of "Indian Billy" Ice (or Iaac) brother of Mary Ice, mother of Tecumtha. ...but they were white people adopted by the Shawnee...Mary and Billy Ice were children of Mary Galloway, and Frederick Iaac. Immigrants from Amsterdam and Scotland.

My grandmother was Ida Owens, she married a Forrester who was descended from Elizabeth Edgell. It appears there may be Indian blood on both the Forrester, and Owens sides...diluted by Scottish, Welsh, and Dutch.

I hope that clears most of it up?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Cherokee, or Kickapoo--or Kispoko Shawnee?gina Boltz11:55:19 03/13/09 Fri

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.