VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:45:46 09/06/08 Sat
Author: Chuck_Glisson
Subject: Impressions of John McCain's nomination speach

I watched John McCain's nomination speach, it was a painful specticle to endure, but I'm glad I watched, this is my impression of the event.

From the video introduction and on through the entire speech, John McCain dwelled on himself, and ESPECIALLY on his POW experience. We needed to be assured that this was the right man to put in the Whitehouse, instead it felt like he was going for an academy award for "Best Dramatic Actor". This goes in complete contrast to John McCain's past critical remarks(and one made tonight too!) when he has layed the same attacks on Barack Obama's presentations! The result made this speech look very hyprocratical, I would have been more receptive if instead of the attempt at showboating, if he would have tried more to be himself.

He glazed over the issues in only general terms, he hit all the talking points from the predictable GOP agenda, for the applause, but offered no real detail of anything, he was very vague, in PARTICULAR when he discused issues where he KNOWS he is at odds with the majority of Americans, for McCain, that would be MOST of the issues!

Thats why he dwelled so much on symbolism like Patriotism and Honor, and steered away from the details. It helped to fill in the gaps on the stopwatch, but submitted us to a dialog with little substance.

The constant "cultlike" chanting of "USA" from the almost entirely middle age white male audience did not help either. I have nothing against middle age white men, for I am one myself!, but if that is all John McCain appeals to, then he does not represent MOST Americans. I would gather that this audience would be more comfortable at a lynch mob, and under a hanging tree, than a convention. There seemed to be an aggressive and mean spirited vibe in the room, which was in TOTAL contrast to the community spirit at Barack Obama's acceptance speech the previous week.

I guess what it comes down to is; are you more comfortable in an invironment of; "Hope, Brotherhood and Community", or "Fear, Anger and Vengeance". If you can answer that question, then you know what inspires YOU, and which candidate appeals to YOUR core values, and the decision as to the candidate that you will cast your vote for will be an easy choice to make!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.