VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]
Subject: Nurse Training

Author:
Rebelheart
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:53:17 07/30/06 Sun

I was reading a Blog were a nurse in New Jersey
recalled that in her schooling back in 1968, nurses
were instructed that is a male patient were to
ever "show disrespect to them by have an erection
during a procedure", they were to take a metal spoon
and strike the male's penis which would cause him
to lose the erection.

I had trouble believing this to be true but I was
wondering, is this just another of a million or so
Urban Legends or was this ever recommended in
medical training? Can you imagine a male nurse
striking a female on her breasts if her nipples were hard? Hell and the fury of the FBI CIA and the PTA would
rain down.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Nurse Training

Author:
Reb, never mind its a legend
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:03:12 07/30/06 Sun

Never mind, it is a legend. A pretty stupid one
but a legend none the less.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Rodger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:46:28 07/30/06 Sun

The use of a spoon may be an urban legand, but the use of a flicked finger is not. That was a common practice in the 50's and for some time after. Who knows, it may still be in use somewhere, but I doubt it.

Author:
DJ48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:38:29 07/31/06 Mon

I guess different medical facilities had different training and standards. I worked at a hospital during the early 1970s while I was in college. Flicking erect penises was not not done and, really, there would never have been a need to do it. The nurses (all female except for 4-5 males which were actually student nurses) and aides (all female) did the tasks involving the genitals of female patients. They usually summoned the orderlys (all male) to do the tasks involving the genitals of male patients. The only areas where female staff saw male patient genitals or male staff saw female patient genitals were ER, ICU, and the OR. I worked one year in ICU, one year on a surgical floor, one year on a medical floor with added duties of cleaning the Delivery Rooms, and one year in ER. Occasionally I also worked the OR or other areas in the hospital. So, yes, I did see female genitals often in ICU and sometimes when I worked the OR, and an occasional glimpse when I worked the other areas.

Author:
joe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:55:49 07/31/06 Mon

i think the erect penis during medical exams and procedures is a bit overstated. it's never happened to me, or to anyone i have talked to, and the nurses and doctors i have talked to just laughed about it. they say it is just an "old wives tale". i'm sure it does happen, but it's very rare. boys who say they're worried about it are just reacting to rumors they hear "in the school bathroom" and are worried about it because they think it's true. of course, there's no way to take an accurate poll of people across the u.s. on a subject like this.
joe

[> [> Subject: Re: Nurse Training

Author:
Douglas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:14 07/31/06 Mon

For what it is worth someone posted on this board or maybe the board on physical exams a bunch of posts from another board talking about men getting erections during exams. I found them interesting and credible. I do know I have had them a few times, though not what I would call a full erection necessarily, but maybe 80-85% of the way there. In every case I can remember it has happened with a female doctor or nurse, and none has ever made an issue of it in any way, other than one said something like, "a healthy reaction" and smiled a bit.

My sense is not so much that it does not happen but that most medical professionals, especially the women perhaps, do not make a big deal about it. It is a natural function after all, and is well known to happen to people at odd times.

It may just be that many of us confuse the issue of having an erection with having sex. But a doctor in a clinical setting is not so confused. She knows and recognizes it as a physical response, whereas others not in that setting on a day to day basis do get it confused.

I can say uneqivocally that each time it has happened to me I have been treated with respect and my dignity preserved. As you would expect from quality caregivers. People are more sophisticated these days. Women are not expected to be nuns. So young women doctors and nurses are not confused about what an erection means. I cannot imagine someone in this day and age whacking at some poor guy's already embarrassed penis -- I would imagine it would be grounds for a law suit, if not a charge of crimnal assault!

Author:
Douglas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:24:24 07/31/06 Mon

I definitely heard of this practice during the 1950s. I was in the hospital twice during those years, once for a bad bike accident and another time for a ruptured appendix. I wound in wards both times and talking with other guys, older guys, was told about it. One guy in particular I remember telling me that it had in fact happened to him. I knew the nurse and she was sort of attractive but severe in her demeanor, very businesslike. He described it as painful, but smiled throughout the telling. I do think what he said was true and that he was a bit proud of it.

It never happened to me. I did get a bed bath every day during the stay for the bike accident, aged 10 going on 11 at the time. I used to get a little boner almost every time, but the nurse never did anything about it, certainly did not strike me. Probably I was too young, or maybe it was because that was a different nurse.

Over the years I recall other stories about this practice. I do think it is true, but not likely universal, if for no other reason than the fact that most women in their heart of hearts like to see erect penises if they are not threatening somehow to them.

Author:
Rebelheart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:12:57 07/31/06 Mon

Gee, maybe it isn't an urban legend. The blog I read it from looked so legit that it at least appeared to be true.
It seemed so strange and I counldd't find anything else on it that I just assumed it couldn't be true. I had heard of this when I was a kid but back then you could hear almost kind of rumor.

What was disturbing was that the nurse who was describing this, (grad of 68), was not in the least bothered by it.
In fact, she thought it was funny, which lead me to conclude that she was either 1 a fake, 2 a sadist who should have never been in nursing, or 3. Female health care workers are not being taught about involuntary body reactions. While I have the most respect for nurses and appreciate all the crap they have to put with from the hospitals and the patients, striking a patient just seems
unbelievable.

Regards yall. Reb

PS Blog site was "TigerHawk"

Author:
Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:57:54 07/31/06 Mon

>I definitely heard of this practice during the 1950s.
>I was in the hospital twice during those years, once
>for a bad bike accident and another time for a
>ruptured appendix. I wound in wards both times and
>talking with other guys, older guys, was told about
>it. One guy in particular I remember telling me that
>it had in fact happened to him. I knew the nurse and
>she was sort of attractive but severe in her demeanor,
>very businesslike. He described it as painful, but
>smiled throughout the telling. I do think what he said
>was true and that he was a bit proud of it.
>
>It never happened to me. I did get a bed bath every
>day during the stay for the bike accident, aged 10
>going on 11 at the time. I used to get a little boner
>almost every time, but the nurse never did anything
>about it, certainly did not strike me. Probably I was
>too young, or maybe it was because that was a
>different nurse.
>
>Over the years I recall other stories about this
>practice. I do think it is true, but not likely
>universal, if for no other reason than the fact that
>most women in their heart of hearts like to see erect
>penises if they are not threatening somehow to them.

I had a buddy who was in med school about 1970-1978 and he would tell me some pretty in-depth stuff. He did say, in fact that when a patient became erect, to thump the head of his penis (ouch!) with your finger in the way you usually thump something. Yes, it would inflict pain but it was intended to do the job and I believe he said it was rather effective. Of course, virtually all of these erections were involuntary so I guess the thump conveyed back to the brain the message that no pleasure was in sight. I assume this to work with a conscious or unconscious patient.

Author:
DJ48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:18:43 07/31/06 Mon

As I have already stated, at the hospital that I worked at the male orderlies did all of the procedures that involved adult male patient genitals. This would include preps (shaving) for surgery, enemas, catherizations, rectal suppositories, rectal temperatures, applying any ointments, etc. Concerning adult male bed baths, the nurse or aide (females) would give do all of the bath except for the area from the belly button to mid-thigh. They would then get the patient to do that part or summon an orderly to do it.

I can not attest to what happened in pediatrics or nursery. Those units were for newborn to approximately 14. I do know that orderlies very seldom had to do anything in either area so I guess the nurse or aide did all of the procedures on all of the patients in those areas. So, I would guess that they would encounter erections from time to time but I have no idea the frequency of those encounters. I doubt that they would "flick the bic" since those male patients were still children.

Author:
Robert
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:42:29 07/31/06 Mon

I have heard nurses who used to work for me saying how they had in the past pinched erect penises to make them go flacid. They were discussing previous jobs, so I didn't think much of it at the time.

I was reading a seeming reputable website for and by pediatricians recently. One of the FAQ's was about adolescents getting erections during an exam. The answer from them was that it was "not unusual" and to not be embarrassed.

Author:
Chuck 2
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:47:03 07/31/06 Mon

During one of my derm exams, I said something about a darkening freckle on my penis. I got the first and last thorough examination of my penis that day. I was completely deflated most of the time, but some size did start to come about. When I started to grow just a little, the doctor bent my penis completey over on itself so that the head was pointing straight at me. I was surprised that this didn't hurt one bit. There was no freckle or anything at the bending point. I've often wondered if she did this just to prevent an erection. Does anyone know why she did this?

Author:
Douglas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:19:28 07/31/06 Mon

I do not mean to be wise guy, but why didn't you ask her then?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Nurse Training

Author:
Chuck 2
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:47:58 07/31/06 Mon

I guess I was too busy thinking - this will be over soon - for any other words to get processed.

Author:
Reb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:01 07/31/06 Mon

No, not a clue, but I would like to point out that there is a big difference in eliminating an erection for medical purposes during an examination and one done because the caregiver doesn't "like the way it looks" or thinks it is somehow disrespectful.
Not to get too personal, but mine has a mind of it's own.
When it happens, it happens, and it can be from a multitude
of stimuli including those that are in absolutely no way
of a sexual nature.
Reb

[> Subject: It Is Doubful That Such A Method Exists At All

Author:
Leah
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:32:21 08/03/06 Thu

I find it difficult to believe that women in the health care field have a way of relaxing an erection. The reason I have my doubts is that they never seem to use it, according to the posts I've seem here and elsewhere.

Men have described how embarrassed they felt when the had an erection during a procedure, like having a physical, being shaved for surgery, or being bathed or showered.
But not once have the posters mentioned the caregiver doing anything to help them get rid of the embarrassing erection.

If there was such a technique, wouldn't they use it?

[> [> Subject: Re: It Is Doubful That Such A Method Exists At All

Author:
Douglas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:34:45 08/03/06 Thu

>I find it difficult to believe that women in the
>health care field have a way of relaxing an erection.
>The reason I have my doubts is that they never seem to
>use it, according to the posts I've seem here and
>elsewhere.

The reason a nurse would not flick an erection with her finger or hit it with something is that it would hurt. It is assault. And it could conceivably cause real damage. But people were far less sophisticated about all of that 40+ years ago. Nurses, patients, lawyers -- all have come too far to do it, want to do it, accept it, or permit it these days.

The technique by the way is similar to the squeeze technique for avoiding premature ejaculation, but more severe. The squeeze technique is routinely taught in sex ed and similar texts. It works. The flick technique would work too.

Trust me, Leah. The technique of flicking an erection painfully, using either an index finger released suddenly from a thumb or some similar technique, was not rare at all during the 1940s and 1950s. I heard far too many credible stories for it to be a myth.

[> [> Subject: Re: It Is Doubful That Such A Method Exists At All

Author:
Steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:44:59 08/13/06 Sun

I actually met a nurse who told me that she used the finger flick on her male patients who had erections while under her care. Fortunately, I met this woman at a family gathering (she is a distant relative of my wife), not in the hospital. (I think she was retired when I met her). How our conversation got to that topic, I can't remember for the life of me.

She had probably started her nursing career in the 1960s, I would guess. When I met her several years ago she appeared to be in her late 50s or early 60s. She may well have been very attractive when she was younger, but I doubt that her patients who had erections while she was bathing them, or whatever, were responding to her sexually. But that is probably what she assumed.

There isn't any reason why a nurse should have to do anything to suppress a male patient's erection, as far as I know. All that is needed is for the nurse to assure the patient that it is a normal response.

Author:
steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:05:31 08/03/06 Thu

I work at a university, and last time I was in the library I checked quite a few of the nursing textbooks to see if they had anything to say about this unusual procedure. Not surprisingly, they didn't.

The textbooks all say that men sometimes get erections during examinations and other procedures, that it's no big deal, and if the patient is acutely embarrassed you just reassure them that it's normal.

Speaking for myself, if a nurse flicked her finger on my penis or hit it with a spoon, you better believe I'd complain about it.

[> Subject: Well, Nurses or Aides, Is It Yes or No?

Author:
Frank
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:47:11 08/05/06 Sat

Here we are, a bunch of posters, none of whom is a nurse or aide, speculating about a simple yes or no question which can be answered by those who have been trained as a nurse or aide or some other health care job. This is the type of question that is independent of our opinions. Either there is or is not a procedure taught to trainees, either formally or informally by experienced colleagues.
So, let's hope someone with knowledge will answer it.

[> [> Subject: Re: Well, Nurses or Aides, Is It Yes or No?

Author:
DJ48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:13:51 08/06/06 Sun

I can only speak about my own experiences as an orderly (aka male aide) during the early 1970s. By the way I am also a male and was not a nurse female nurse. But, back in those days, I had many conversations with quite a few young, attractive female nurses. These nurses had their studies and student nursing at different schools and hospitals so there was a variety of places of training. And they never mentioned being told any procedures to get rid of erections. Since we sometimes had risque conversations, I think if they had received such training then it would have at some point been discussed.

In my own 4 years of experience I saw many male patients nude and some female patients. I only saw one erection. An approximately 25-yr old man had been admitted to the ICU during the night unconscious because of head injuries as the result of an auto accident. The doctor had left instructions for the patient to be catherized. The orderly working the ICU came and asked for my assistance. I asked him if knew how to do a catherization and he said "no". When he got to the patient I discovered that he had an erection so I told the other orderly that we should consult the doctor (he was in the area at the other end of the hall). We asked the doctor and he seemed pissed off that we asked him (he thought that we were poking fun at the patient's erection.) After I told him that I would have to get the nurse to page the urologist on call because I had never experienced this condition - he then calmed down a little (but I still think that he was somewhat pissed - maybe it was his "time of the month"!). He said to just go ahead and use the normal catherization procedures. I did and had no problems.

I have no ideas about the procedures used today. I rarely visit patients in the hospital. I, myself, haven't been a patient since birth which was a little over 50 years ago. The last time I went to a doctor's office was for an insect bite on the arm 5 years ago. The last time I got a physical from a doctor was 32 years ago. I consider myself to be healthy - although some of my friends and family do question my mental health!

Maybe if I get the nerve and figure out a way to get it into the conversation, I will ask one of the nurses that attends my church.

[> Subject: What Makes It So Embarrassing, Anyhow?

Author:
Leah
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:21:55 08/06/06 Sun

From what I gather from reading the posts from men on this board and others, being exposed for healthcare by a female doctor, nurse, aide, or other caregiver is acceptable. Some of the men even said they prefer female caregivers.

Yet, if they experience an erection during such care, they are acutely embarrassed. Why is that so traumatic for them?
If the women do certain procedures are a regular basis, they are certainly not going to be surprised or shocked
when a patient reacts in that way. So why does such an occurence bother male patients so much?

[> [> Subject: Re: What Makes It So Embarrassing, Anyhow?

Author:
Allan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:36:51 08/06/06 Sun

An excellent question, Leah. Why indeed be embarrassed if you get an erection in front of the doctor or nurse?

I for one am not. Just recently I was examined by, I am not kidding you, four different women clinicians -- three doctors and an NP -- for an odd-looking skin condition on my glans penis. This happened over a eight day period. I am natural, so in each case they had to slide back my foreskin. Each time I was examined I got either a full or an almost full erection. I was not embarrassed (except very slightly the first time). Each woman handled my penis for at least several seconds, and one for several minutes; two did so several times during an extended exam. When they were not handling me, they were usually nonetheless looking at it, erect, right in front of their eyes. None of the women seemed in any way put off by it, each smiled effusively as they spoke to me about it afterwards, each was serious in demeanor as they examined me. I felt quite comfortable with their reactions and they seemed quite comfortable handling, viewing and talking to me. If anything I got a mild, positive, if somewhat surprising, sexual thrill from it.

This is absolutely true as written and is not exaggerated in any way. It really did happen to me. If I had to put money on it I would be willing to bet that each of the women enjoyed the experience as much or more than they enjoy any professional encounter, and I certainly did as well.

So, as you correctly ask, what is to be embarrassed about? A man getting an erection in these circumstances is entirely normal, healthy and if anything something to be enjoyed rather than be dismayed about. I am sure these women have seen erections before both in and out of medical contexts, regard them as natural, have no aversions to them, possibly, probably even, enjoy seeing them (though do not go out of their way to admit it), and thought no less of me, and for all I know more of me, for my having had one.

(The skin condition turned out to be an odd form of yeast infection, susceptible in the end to a special type of ointment, but one that may never go away entirely.)

[> [> [> Subject: Re: What Makes It So Embarrassing, Anyhow?

Author:
joe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:18:56 08/06/06 Sun

very simple allan--our country (u.s.) is full of nude prudes and they can't help it. they are raised that way from birth and told nudity is shameful and wrong. and add an erection to the already prudity of being naked, that's just the icing on the cake. many men are worried about what others think of their "equipment", and when the equipment "arms itself", they are really worried that they won't "measure up" in the eyes of the viewers, whether it be companions or medical personnel. that's my thoughts.
i'm with you on the embarrassment thing. i'm not the least bit worried about my being viewed nude, especially by medical personnel. it's amazing to me that people having skin checks for cancer don't want to remove bras or underwear. i guess they would rather die. (literally)
joe

Author:
Steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:35:44 08/10/06 Thu

Normally, a man would not want it to be obvious that he is aroused in the presence of a woman but in a non-sexual situation. Most of the time that would be considered offensive.

I can recall instances when I had an involuntary erection while in the hospital or the doctor's office. In all of those situations my penis was not only exposed but also being touched or handled in some way by the doctor or nurse. I felt embarrassed because I did not want those women to think that I was responding sexually to them, per se. But I am not prudish and I was not ashamed to be seen nude or partially nude in those situations.

[> [> [> Subject: Surely It Is Not A Surprise In Some Situations

Author:
Frank
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:43:26 08/11/06 Fri

An experienced nurse or aide would certainly expect males patient to react during some procedures, and would therefore not consider the man out of line. The surgical shave comes to mind. Although I have never experienced that procedure, it sounds like it would be no surprise to the caregiver if a man were to react. The procedure requires full exposure, a great deal of contact, and an extended period of time while the work is being done. Maybe the caregiver could head off any embarrassment by advising the man that she will not feel offended if it occurs.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Surely It Is Not A Surprise In Some Situations

Author:
Steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:45:50 08/11/06 Fri

I have been shaved for surgery on a couple of different occaisions. The first time, afer I became erect, I had a very candid conversation with the nurse about it while she continued to shave me. I admitted that I felt embarrassed, but she said that it happens all the time and that it was nothing to be ashamed of.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Surely It Is Not A Surprise In Some Situations

Author:
Reb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:28:21 08/11/06 Fri

I think I could cope with an erection in front of a female, but if the caregiver had been male, (regardless of his sexuality,) in the back of my mind I would be wondering if he thought I was gay. I did not have an erection, but I just felt uncomfortable with a male nurse re-taping my catheter. He was a good nurse and a nice guy, but I am uneasy having my genitals handled by another male. I would prefer a female urologist, but I chose the
one I did because he was the best I could find and had good communications with my primary doctor. For that, I was willing to be uncomfortable and put it out of my thoughts.
I try not to be judgemental about gays, but I am uncomfortable when I am knowingly around them and I suspect that many, if not most, of my age group feels
sorta the same. I suppose it is part of the core values
that I was raised with back in the 50's and 60's.
I realize that does not necessarily make sense in a logical way but feelings are just that and changing my feelings on this subject would be a little about trying to change from right-handed to left-handed.

regards Reb

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Surely It Is Not A Surprise In Some Situations

Author:
DJ48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:53:45 08/12/06 Sat

Reb,
I am a male with no gay tendencies at all. When I worked as an orderly (male aide) at a hospital during the early 1970s, I came into contact with many men (and also quite a few of their genitals). The orderly did all of the procedures involving male "private parts". At times I had to bathe their genitals, shave them for surgery, give them enemas, catherize them, take their rectal temps (I worked in ICU for one year and ALL temps were rectal - no oral temps - the only exception is if there anus was inaccessible due to surgery then the temp was taken from the underarm), give rectal suppositories, give an occasional urethral suppository, apply ointments, and other stuff too numerous to name. At times I did have to spend 10 minutes or more doing one of the previously named procedures and I guess I was lucky because no one got an erection while I was working with them. If they had, I would have just kept working as normal. If the erection would have impeded my continuing with the procedure, I would have stopped for a few minutes for it to subside. I usually talked to the patient while I was doing the procedure - either explaining what I was/would be doing or just general stuff like the weather, sports, my school studies, the TV program they were watching, etc. There was a procedure to do that was ordered by the doctor or the patient needed - I knew that - the patient knew that - the job was done as professionally as possible - and neither the patient or myself had any "gay" thoughts.

I guess I, too, was "gay-phobic" back then. There were gays around but you could usually spot them by their walk, talk, and actions. There were even a couple of gays(at least they had that reputation) working at the hospital back then (and at least one of them was an orderly) but they knew better than to make unwanted advances to the patients and I didn't hang around them because I had nothing in common with them.

I also grew up racially prejudiced but I got over that "phobia", too, working at the hospital. I (a white male) at times worked in ICU with 3 nurses and one nurses' aide (all of them black females). Most of the patients were unconscious or semi-conscious so if I talked to anyone while at work it had to be to one of them. Really had some good conversations with them, and occasionally, some of us would go out after work for a beer.

Author:
Robert
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:41:25 09/22/06 Fri

"So why does such an occurence bother male patients so much?"

Hasn't happened to me yet, but my concern would be that my female practitioner would take it as sign of disrespect.

[> Subject: No Reason For A Nurse To Suppress?

Author:
Fran
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:03:29 08/14/06 Mon

Above, on 8-13, Steve said:
There isn't any reason why a nurse should have to do anything to suppress a male patient's erection, as far as I know. All that is needed is for the nurse to assure the patient that it is a normal response.

Actually, there could be some good reasons for a nurse to employ whatever technique she has been taught. If he is extremely embarrassed, she could ease his shame.
Or, if the procedure she is doing is prolonged, the scene might be very uncomfortable and her supressing the reaction would be helpful to him.

Even though the response is normal, as Steve said, that does not mean the nurse should not help the man relax.

[> [> Subject: Re: No Reason For A Nurse To Suppress?

Author:
Steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:18:15 08/14/06 Mon

>Above, on 8-13, Steve said:
>There isn't any reason why a nurse should have to do
>anything to suppress a male patient's erection, as far
>as I know. All that is needed is for the nurse to
>assure the patient that it is a normal response.
>
>Actually, there could be some good reasons for a nurse
>to employ whatever technique she has been taught. If
>he is extremely embarrassed, she could ease his shame.
>Or, if the procedure she is doing is prolonged, the
>scene might be very uncomfortable and her supressing
>the reaction would be helpful to him.
>
>Even though the response is normal, as Steve said,
>that does not mean the nurse should not help the man
>relax.

Fran, at least your suggestion seems to be motivated out of concern for the patient's feelings. The problem is, if something is done physically to suppress his erection, he will still feel embarrassed by having had one in the first place. That's assuming the nurse does not do something like a finger flick, which would be even more humiliating.

If the erection is the result of a procedure that involves actual handling of the penis, as in the example of a surgical prep, then it is difficult to see how you are going to make an erection go away once it occurs anyway.

I think it's better to deal with the patient's feelings and let the erection run its course. (I hope you read my post above in which I replied to Leah's question about why an erection in a medical situation is embarrassing.) It's just my opinion, but it is based on first hand experience, and I think it's really not that complicated. The point is, if the caregiver lets the patient know that she is not offended by his having an erection, then that is the best way she can help him relax.

Author:
Catherine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:12:13 08/14/06 Mon

I must say that this is an interesting thread. I have not posted on this board, but I really had to add my two cents worth here.

I am a 37-year old woman with a 13-year old son. I was divorced when I was 26 and have known several men since then. I think it is weird and a bit absurd to read that nurses in the past apparently struck or otherwise took painful steps to cause an erection to go soft. What were these women thinking? Any woman with even slight experience with men knows that men and boys get erections at some odd times, just as we sometimes lubricate at odd times. Does anyone suggest it would make sense to stuff a tampon in a woman's vagina because she began lubricating during a procedure? Of course not! The very idea is absurd.

I have two friends who are nurses. I am very close to one of them, as we grew up together and have remained friends through thick and thin, including our divorces. She has told me that she sees men and especially teen boys develop erections during several situations. Not all the time, but often. Although she realizes that it can often be embarrassing for them, especially the boys, she usually enjoys seeing an erection she told me, since they look more natural that way and frankly she likes seeing an erect penis. Plain and simple. Of course she keeps this a secret and never causes a man or teen to have one intentionally. She respects their privacy and dignity. But if the situation truly warrants it, she simply enjoys it. She is a throughly professional person and finds her work satisfying and enhjoyable, so why not this part too? That has always been her style in life, and it is a good one. If I did her work to be honest so would I. And I daresay so would most women.

Most importantly, I can honestly say that if I ever learned that someone had hit my son in the penis during a medical procedure I would find a lawyer! What kind of world are we living in when a boy would be subject to that sort of treatment? It borders on sadism, I think, and any nurse who did it would need to be scrutinized psychologically, at the least. Who knows what sort of long term effect this would have on my son? It borders on child abuse. Every so often you read about nurses charged with murdering patients, and although this is not that serious obviously, it seems to me it shows a dangerous tendency perhaps to cause patients pain and suffering.

So that is my two cents on this subject. I do find the posts interesting, and the different points of view expressed. But as a woman of 37 who has known and enjoyed several men in her life, I think any straight woman who thinks that a hard penis is so objectionable that it requires striking needs help and should not be in charge of giving teen boys (or men) medical care.

Thank you for listening,

Catherine

[> [> Subject: Re: Nurse Training/Catherine

Author:
Roscoe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:24:48 08/14/06 Mon

I've never had a nurse or doctor flick me to take care of the situation, but I did have a female doctor (urologist) start screaming at me. She totally flipped out. Made me wait about 45 minutes until I had plenty of time to cool down.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Nurse Training/Catherine

Author:
Pat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:03:22 08/14/06 Mon

I don't believe you.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Nurse Training/Catherine

Author:
Roscoe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:22:01 08/15/06 Tue

>I don't believe you.
Doesn't matter if you don't believe it, it is still true none the less.
I didn't do or say anything that could be construed as offensive other than get an erection and she started screaming at me. She left the room for 45 minutes before coming back. She totally flipped out over the incident and I really don't know why she freaked. She is late 30's and married.

Author:
joe to catherine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:10:17 08/14/06 Mon

hi catherine, thanks for posting. i wanted to say that i thought it was ridiculous for a nurse to be offended by an erection or hit it to make it go down, but not being a nurse i didn't. i have talked to many who said exactly what you did.
joe

Author:
Steve to Catherine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:01:07 08/14/06 Mon

Catherine, I enjoyed your comments and I find your attitude healthy and refreshing. My question is, did your nurse friend talk about how and if she helps her male patients cope with anxiety and embarrassment when an erection occurs?

The fact that she enjoys seeing this happen is fine with me, because that means she does not take offense. I imagine she is very good at handling that situation (no pun intended).

A couple of weeks after the first time I had surgery, I went back to the hospital for a complete physical, and it was the first time I had it done by a female doctor. I'd had some serious complications right after the surgery, when they actually had some problems stabilizing my vital signs. It was probably a bad reaction to the anesthesia or pain meds, but my surgeon asked me to have the physical just to make sure I was ok, and also because I hadn't had a complete physical in a long time.

The doctor turned out to be a very attractive young woman, probably not long out of medical school. I was 29 at the time and she looked to be two or three years younger. She was very polite and formal, didn't talk very much while she worked, and I found it a little awkward that she addressed me as "Sir".

After a while she had me lie on my back, and she said she was going to examine my abdomen and check my incision, which was below the waist. While she was doing this my gown barely covered my genitals, and I was starting to feel anxious and somewhat aroused. She told me the incision appeared to be healing normally, and I was feeling relieved thinking we were done, and then she said that she would like me to stand up for the rest of the exam, and could I please leave the gown on the table.

I had a full erection before I even got off the table, and I actually tried to cover myself with my hands. She was sitting in front of me on one of those stools that rolls around on wheels, and she just looked up at me and said, "Sir, I'll need you to put your hands aside so I can examine you." At this point I thought about how ridiculous I must have looked, and I just started laughing, and then we were both laughing. After that there was a lot less tension while she finished the exam.

[> [> [> Subject: physical

Author:
DJ48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:01:06 08/15/06 Tue

Steve,
You stated, "...and also because I hadn't had a complete physical in a long time." It seems that they may have gotten the cart before the horse. Unless it was emergency surgery, I would have thought that they would have required you to get a physical before they did the surgery - especially since you said that you hadn't had one in a long time.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: physical

Author:
Steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:14:21 08/15/06 Tue

>Steve,
>You stated, "...and also because I hadn't had a
>complete physical in a long time." It seems that they
>may have gotten the cart before the horse. Unless it
>was emergency surgery, I would have thought that they
>would have required you to get a physical before they
>did the surgery - especially since you said that you
>hadn't had one in a long time.

You are correct, sort of. I was seen by the surgeon before the operation, and a few tests were done, but it was not nearly as thorough as the head to toe exam I received from the young resident.

Author:
DJ48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:54:44 08/15/06 Tue

Catherine,
First, let me say "welcome".

Second, your post was a good one and I agree with you completely. Also, it sounds like your friend is a very good nurse. Tell her that I said for her to keep up the good work.

Just like your friend, when I worked at the hospital in the early 1970s, I occasionally saw some very pretty females nude and I enjoyed every moment of it. I, like your friend, never deliberately bared them (either they did it themselves or the female nurse or aide did it) and occasionally I even attempted to cover them back up - even though their nudity was very pleasing to my eyes. Just like your friend, never would I have intentionally done anything to harm a patient.

I, also, agree with your sentiments concerning your son. I felt the same way about my two children (one son and one daughter). Also, if someone intentionally inflicts pain on me (like flicking my penis), then my hands better be restrained when they do it because I will do all in my power to protect myself.

I agree with you, if any medical staff is out to inflict harm to a patient - then they need to find a new job. Also, a medical professional should expect to see disgusting things - blood, guts, urine, feces, vomit, etc and maybe to some erections. If they can't cope with those things then they need to leave the profession.

[> Subject: "Ignore It" Was What They Were Told

Author:
Larry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:38:48 08/16/06 Wed

My sister is a nurse and had her training about 20 years ago. I asked her about this topic and she told me what her class was instructed to do. They were told, "Ignore it."
Evidently, if there is a method, it came into existence within the last twenty years.

[> [> Subject: Re: "Ignore It" Was What They Were Told

Author:
Dj48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:24:04 08/16/06 Wed

Your sister received some very good advice.

[> Subject: The Conclusion : It's A Myth

Author:
Frank
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:42:22 08/17/06 Thu

After all the anecdotes and debate, no nurse has come forward to tell us that the method actually exists. One nurse was quoted as saying that she and her fellow students were told to ignore it. This tells me there is no method. The case is closed.
The method is just a myth!

[> [> Subject: Re: The Conclusion : It's A Myth

Author:
Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:23:40 08/17/06 Thu

>After all the anecdotes and debate, no nurse has come
>forward to tell us that the method actually exists.
>One nurse was quoted as saying that she and her fellow
>students were told to ignore it. This tells me there
>is no method. The case is closed.
>The method is just a myth!

Are you sure? Has anyone asked a 50-something nurse?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: The Conclusion : It's A Myth

Author:
Steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:29:06 08/17/06 Thu

>>After all the anecdotes and debate, no nurse has come
>>forward to tell us that the method actually exists.
>>One nurse was quoted as saying that she and her fellow
>>students were told to ignore it. This tells me there
>>is no method. The case is closed.
>>The method is just a myth!
>
>
>Are you sure? Has anyone asked a 50-something nurse?

Frank must not have read my earlier post

http://www.voy.com/202532/1042.html

[> [> [> [> Subject: The Question Was Asked And Answered

Author:
Frank
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:57:55 08/17/06 Thu

I asked, above, for any nurse or aide to tell us. None responded directly, but DJ48 said he did ask while he was employed in a hospital years ago and no such method existed.

Another man later said he asked his wife and her answer was similar. She and her fellow student nurses were simply told to ignore it. Although one nurse told Steve that she has used the method being discussed, the balance right now seems to be in favor of the method being a myth.

Perhaps there was such a method taught, but not any more.

Where do we stand? Right back where we started from, at least so far. Maybe we'll hear more on the subject later.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Question Was Asked And Answered

Author:
Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:43:19 08/17/06 Thu

>I asked, above, for any nurse or aide to tell us. None
>responded directly, but DJ48 said he did ask while he
>was employed in a hospital years ago and no such
>method existed.
>
>Another man later said he asked his wife and her
>answer was similar. She and her fellow student nurses
>were simply told to ignore it. Although one nurse told
>Steve that she has used the method being discussed,
>the balance right now seems to be in favor of the
>method being a myth.
>

I posted on 7-31 a statement derived from a reliable source. The method could have been the exception, not the rule. But I'm confident it was taught, though. However, this was in the early 70's, things may have changed. I don't know for, either that the method applied to coherent patients. It's possible it was only for ones under anesthesia who wouldn't feel the pain or even know it happened.
>>
>

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Question Was Asked And Answered

Author:
DJ48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:01:30 08/17/06 Thu

Tom,
You stated, "It's possible it was only for ones under anesthesia who wouldn't feel the pain or even know it happened." Why would it be needed on incoherent patients? They wouldn't (knowingly) be thinking sexual thoughts and would not even realize that they had an erection. I know of no procedure that would require such action. I can think of no reason for a medical professional to knowingly abuse an incoherent patient.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Males Under Anesthesia?

Author:
Carol
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:42:32 08/18/06 Fri

This surprises me, and probably others. I had no idea that an erection could occur while a man is under anesthesia.
I know it happens during sleep, but that's not anesthesia.
Are you saying it can happen during surgery?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Males Under Anesthesia?

Author:
Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:04:58 08/18/06 Fri

>This surprises me, and probably others. I had no idea
>that an erection could occur while a man is under
>anesthesia.
>I know it happens during sleep, but that's not
>anesthesia.
>Are you saying it can happen during surgery?

I'm not totally sure, but I think medical people would confirm this. It's my understanding that involuntary erections can occur anytime. It would, however be a question for someone familiar with the OR.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Males Under Anesthesia?

Author:
An RN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:11:27 08/18/06 Fri

Carol, Yes it is quite common for a man to have an erection when he is under anesthesia. For younger men it is almost a norm, although it may not be a full erection. In fact there are many medical situations where a boy or an adult may develop an erection.

For readers of this thread, I have been a nurse for over 25 years. I am not going to be drawn into a discussion of how nurses deal with erections in male patients, other than to say I've always just ignored them. I was not taught nor would I had I been taught to strike a penis to relax an erection. I do remember vaguely being shocked to hear some much older nurses joking about the practice when I was just starting. I cannot remember any of the details other than the fact that they were much older than I was.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Males Under Anesthesia?

Author:
Rebelheart
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:41:20 08/18/06 Fri

After hearing about this off and on since I was a kid, I found this one day. Can't verify the accuracy of it but
since it has caused this much interest and since it is not too long, I am taking the liberty off cutting/pasting the blog posting that caused me to ask the question.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Friday, May 13, 2005
The nurse's secret weapon
By TigerHawk at 5/13/2005 10:00:00 PM

On the off-chance that you get an erection in the presence of your nurse, be forewarned:

We were advised [in nursing school back in 1968] that we would be facing situations previously unknown to us. Even though we were expected to conduct ourselves in nothing less than a professional manner at all times, it was possible that due to the combination of young women, male nakedness and the Playboy version of the posssiblities during encounters with nurses, some of the male patients might behave in a manner that was disrespectful and have an erection.

This, of course, was unacceptable and had to be discouraged. The best way to go about this was to to carry a metal teaspoon in your uniform pocket. If any one would dare disrespect you by having an erection, all you had to do was to take out the spoon and give a good solid *thwap* to the offending penis and that would cause deflation and make it crystal clear that you would allow no more of that sort of thing.

We could hardly get to the cafeteria fast enough to get our spoons. There we were on the following morning - 6:30 am, nervous and not entirely sure what to expect from our first day on the floors, but we at least had the certainty of knowing that we were well-prepared to handle that one situation. We carried those spoons for weeks until it became clear that we would not be needing them after all.

During my many years as a nurse, I have seen hundreds and hundreds of penises of every shape and size and have never once had to deploy the teaspoon. So far.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Males Under Anesthesia?

Author:
DJ48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:19:42 08/18/06 Fri

Sounds like someone enjoyed playing practical jokes on the new students.

Reminds me of when I started high school and the older grades (especially the sophs) would tell the freshmen that you could buy tickets for the elevator at the school book store on your first day of school. They had no tickets because there were no elevators. Also, that you could go swimming in gym on Fridays. There was no swimming pool, either.

Also, reminds me of when I worked at the hospital. We carried a corpse to the morgue and on the way back, near the lab, we saw another orderly (male aide) coming down the hall towards us. One of the other orderlies hopped on the gurney and we threw the sheet over him. As the orderly got to us, we told him that the morgue refused the corpse and that we had to take it back to its room. At that moment, the orderly on the gurney raised up with the sheet still over him. The orderly that we played the joke on took off running the other way. He was found about 30 minutes later at home (he had run about 2 miles to his house.) We was told to never play that trick again!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Males Under Anesthesia?

Author:
Reb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:00:46 08/19/06 Sat

>Sounds like someone enjoyed playing practical jokes on
>the new students.
>
Actually that was about what I had decided. Not that such a thing couldn't have happened back in the 60's but there is little or no documentation. I re-found the site that
I had run across last night, sent yall a copy of the posting that got me started wondering and then found the email address of the original poster. I wrote her a note a asked for confirmation or additonal info. She may or may not respond. She now lives in New Jersey.
I'm sure it might appear to be a little off-the-wall for someone to get a email asking about mens genitals from a total stranger.

Regards Reb

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Males Under Anesthesia?

Author:
Willie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:53:10 06/07/07 Thu

>Carol, Yes it is quite common for a man to have an
>erection when he is under anesthesia. For younger men
>it is almost a norm, although it may not be a full
>erection. In fact there are many medical situations
>where a boy or an adult may develop an erection.
>
>For readers of this thread, I have been a nurse for
>over 25 years. I am not going to be drawn into a
>discussion of how nurses deal with erections in male
>patients, other than to say I've always just ignored
>them. I was not taught nor would I had I been taught
>to strike a penis to relax an erection. I do remember
>vaguely being shocked to hear some much older nurses
>joking about the practice when I was just starting. I
>cannot remember any of the details other than the fact
>that they were much older than I was.

In the 1960s, while attending a large university on the West coast, my girlfriend told me that earlier that day she had coffee with one of her friends who was a nursing student at the same school. The nursing student recounted that she had been making rounds with other nursing students and a senior nurse. They entered a room with a male patient who had recently undergone surgery for a hernia. To inspect the incision the nurge removed the patient's covers and pulled his gown up exposing him to the student nurses. During the course of the examination the patient developed an erection. Without saying anything, the nurse took a pencil that she carried with her clipboard and hit the head of the patient's penis with the pencil. He winced in pain and immediately the erection subsided. As the group walked to the next room the instructor nurse told the girls that sometimes it is necessary to take action to stifle an erection so as to prevent further embarassment to the patient. The nurse made no other comment or instruction on this procedure which was not part of of the school's training program.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Males Under Anesthesia?

Author:
Rod
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:43:47 06/10/07 Sun

>>Carol, Yes it is quite common for a man to have an
>>erection when he is under anesthesia. For younger men
>>it is almost a norm, although it may not be a full
>>erection. In fact there are many medical situations
>>where a boy or an adult may develop an erection.
>>
>>For readers of this thread, I have been a nurse for
>>over 25 years. I am not going to be drawn into a
>>discussion of how nurses deal with erections in male
>>patients, other than to say I've always just ignored
>>them. I was not taught nor would I had I been taught
>>to strike a penis to relax an erection. I do remember
>>vaguely being shocked to hear some much older nurses
>>joking about the practice when I was just starting. I
>>cannot remember any of the details other than the fact
>>that they were much older than I was.
>
>
>In the 1960s, while attending a large university on
>the West coast, my girlfriend told me that earlier
>that day she had coffee with one of her friends who
>was a nursing student at the same school. The nursing
>student recounted that she had been making rounds with
>other nursing students and a senior nurse. They
>entered a room with a male patient who had recently
>undergone surgery for a hernia. To inspect the
>incision the nurge removed the patient's covers and
>pulled his gown up exposing him to the student nurses.
> During the course of the examination the patient
>developed an erection. Without saying anything, the
>nurse took a pencil that she carried with her
>clipboard and hit the head of the patient's penis with
>the pencil. He winced in pain and immediately the
>erection subsided. As the group walked to the next
>room the instructor nurse told the girls that
>sometimes it is necessary to take action to stifle an
>erection so as to prevent further embarassment to the
>patient. The nurse made no other comment or
>instruction on this procedure which was not part of of
>the school's training program.

The patient probably never knew he was exposed to these nursing students, let alone had an erection in front of them. I wonder how he would feel if he did know? All I can say is I don't think alot of guys would like this situation, they never asked for it. I wonder if they asked this patient his permission beforehand? I do know that if you are fully conscious you do have the right to refuse nurses and medical students view/examine you if if involves nudity or anything embarassing. Were these nurses taking advantage of the situation because he was under anesthesia? It certainly looks so.
I wonder if the nurse would've hit his penis with a pencil if he was fully conscious? Would they have even asked his permission to lift his gown and expose him?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Males Under Anesthesia?

Author:
Willie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:25:10 06/16/07 Sat

>>>Carol, Yes it is quite common for a man to have an
>>>erection when he is under anesthesia. For younger men
>>>it is almost a norm, although it may not be a full
>>>erection. In fact there are many medical situations
>>>where a boy or an adult may develop an erection.
>>>
>>>For readers of this thread, I have been a nurse for
>>>over 25 years. I am not going to be drawn into a
>>>discussion of how nurses deal with erections in male
>>>patients, other than to say I've always just ignored
>>>them. I was not taught nor would I had I been taught
>>>to strike a penis to relax an erection. I do remember
>>>vaguely being shocked to hear some much older nurses
>>>joking about the practice when I was just starting. I
>>>cannot remember any of the details other than the
>fact
>>>that they were much older than I was.
>>
>>
>>In the 1960s, while attending a large university on
>>the West coast, my girlfriend told me that earlier
>>that day she had coffee with one of her friends who
>>was a nursing student at the same school. The nursing
>>student recounted that she had been making rounds with
>>other nursing students and a senior nurse. They
>>entered a room with a male patient who had recently
>>undergone surgery for a hernia. To inspect the
>>incision the nurge removed the patient's covers and
>>pulled his gown up exposing him to the student nurses.
>> During the course of the examination the patient
>>developed an erection. Without saying anything, the
>>nurse took a pencil that she carried with her
>>clipboard and hit the head of the patient's penis with
>>the pencil. He winced in pain and immediately the
>>erection subsided. As the group walked to the next
>>room the instructor nurse told the girls that
>>sometimes it is necessary to take action to stifle an
>>erection so as to prevent further embarassment to the
>>patient. The nurse made no other comment or
>>instruction on this procedure which was not part of of
>>the school's training program.
>
>The patient probably never knew he was exposed to
>these nursing students, let alone had an erection in
>front of them. I wonder how he would feel if he did
>know? All I can say is I don't think alot of guys
>would like this situation, they never asked for it. I
>wonder if they asked this patient his permission
>beforehand? I do know that if you are fully conscious
>you do have the right to refuse nurses and medical
>students view/examine you if if involves nudity or
>anything embarassing. Were these nurses taking
>advantage of the situation because he was under
>anesthesia? It certainly looks so.
>I wonder if the nurse would've hit his penis with a
>pencil if he was fully conscious? Would they have even
>asked his permission to lift his gown and expose him?

The patient was wide awake when the nurse and nursing students checked his incision following his hernia operation. The nurse explained that the students were there as part of their training and not to be embarrassed. When the patient was exposed to the students he developed his erection. The nurse said nothing but proceeded to check the incision, which was fine, and only afterwards did she flick the patient's erection with a pencil. He said nothing and she did not explain her action except to the nurse trainees later. This took place in the 1960s and may not be taught to nurses these days.

[> [> Subject: Frank - You are so smart

Author:
and the rest of us are just dummies
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:34:37 08/17/06 Thu

Ten thousand years of human experience has proven that beating a tom-tom when the sun goes down at night causes it to come up again the next morning.

[> [> [> Subject: I Hope We're Not Going To Start Flaming People

Author:
Carol
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:16:21 08/20/06 Sun

I'm not sure whether the writer intended to flame anyone, but it came across that way. I hope we're not going to fall into the habit of flaming contributors we disagree with.
This is a great board, very polite and civil, so I hope it can stay that way. If I'm wrong and no flame was meant, please accept my apology in advance.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Carol: This board...

Author:
Reb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:46:09 08/20/06 Sun

Carol,
This is a unique board, unlike the others I have found it
to be informative, entertaining, and interesting. I do get some comfort knowing that there are some people who agree with me. For those who disagree, I enjoy them too. It causes be to learn to defend my position and if they are right, adjust my way of looking at things.

I enjoy a spirited, even heated debate. Arguments on the other hand are just not that much fun. I get enough of them at work. I am sure that the writer did not mean this as harshly as it came across, but nevertheless, I read it like you did. If we start flaming one another, the interesting posters will simply quit and we will all lose.
Case in point, notice the lower amounts of posters.

Speaking of which; Joe, are you still there? I miss his wisdom and humor. Why don't you start a couple of new threads and get things moving? I have run out of ideas.
Some of the treads I started just kind of lay there. Others seem to cause a great deal of interest. You just never know.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: This board...

Author:
DJ48
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:43:06 08/20/06 Sun

I, too, like to hear (in this case read) different viewpoints on a topic. But I, also, don't like the screaming, ranting and raving, and name-calling. All that does is get the focus off of the topic and onto the participants. And, quite frankly, I don't care a hoot about the participants - I care about the topics. The Fox News Hannity and Colmes show comes to mind. They start discussing some very good topics but then they resort to arguing with each other. At that point, the show is just plain old noise and I change the channel. I finally realized that since I changed the channel about 5 minutes after tuning in each night, it was best to just not go there in the first place. So, I don't try to watch it anymore. The same is true with some of the discussion boards that I used to visit. Some got to where the majority of the posts was name-calling, vulgar comments, and stuff totally unrelated to the topic. I felt I was wasting my time so I quit going to them.

Just this week, I got miffed with some comments on a topic on the new VoyForums "medical exams and proceudres" board concerning mothers attending son's exam versus fathers sttending daughter's exam. Being a divorced father with both a son and daughter, the subject brought up some old wounds. Since I couldn't figure out a way to word my thoughts without possible misinterpretation and even some rather harsh words, I elected to not respond at all.

At least this board has an active moderator that tries to keep the board on-topic and civil. But, it seems that if a post has to be deleted then the whole thread has to be deleted. For example, at this time, there is 56 good posts and one bad post in this thread. It seems that if the moderator deletes the one bad post then all or at least part of the 56 good posts will also end up deleted. I wish there was some way for the moderator to be able to delete just the one bad post but still keep the other good posts.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: This board...

Author:
joe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:39:26 08/22/06 Tue

well, i'm still here and well i think. i was gone for 4 days hiking and camping with the grandson and his friend. and yes, to be on subject (overall subject of nudity), we skinny dipped for hours (early morning and late afternoons/early evenings which eliminated the need for sunscreen, plus boosting the vitimin d).
and i had a root canal this morning, a very nice thing to come home to :( however, the nurses let me stay dressed:)
all i can say on the subject of nurse training is that the couple of nurses i have talked to about this subject have said they were taught to ignore an erection, which eases the possible tension and embarrassment.
i posted some time back on the old board about my serving as a volunteer for our local nurse training school as my co-worker's wife (age 40) was in nurse training and he said they had very hard times getting volunteer practice patients and he asked me if i would. i did, it was fun and very educational, and the students were much more shy than i thought they would be. i think my lack of embarrassment actually embarrassed them more!!
joe

[> Subject: They Follow The "Ignore It" Procedure

Author:
Fred
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:40:57 08/30/06 Wed

We have talked about the various methods we have heard about, such as finger-flicks, taps, and spoons, but no one has said they ever experienced anything except "ignore it". That seems to be the correct answer to all our questions about how the situation is dealt with in reality.

[> [> Subject: Re: They Follow The "Ignore It" Procedure

Author:
AR
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:42:27 08/31/06 Thu

No kidding?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: They Follow The "Ignore It" Procedure

Author:
Fred
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:38:09 08/31/06 Thu

What you meant by "No kidding" seems to be that I was stating the obvious, but I don't think I was. If it was obvious that "ignore it" was the accepted reaction, why would so many posters describe other reactions. It was only after it became apparent that there is no evidence for any other method, that "ignore it" became so obvious.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: They Follow The "Ignore It" Procedure

Author:
Dr. Watson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:49:40 08/31/06 Thu

Fred, it's because other posters have vivid immaginations. Get real!

>What you meant by "No kidding" seems to be that I was
>stating the obvious, but I don't think I was. If it
>was obvious that "ignore it" was the accepted
>reaction, why would so many posters describe other
>reactions. It was only after it became apparent that
>there is no evidence for any other method, that
>"ignore it" became so obvious.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: They Follow The "Ignore It" Procedure

Author:
AR
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:18:08 08/31/06 Thu

Is that right?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: They Follow The "Ignore It" Procedure

Author:
joe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:16:35 08/31/06 Thu

of course !! :)

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: They Follow The "Ignore It" Procedure

Author:
Roger D
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:35:33 12/14/07 Fri

>of course !! :)

Author:
Wayne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:17:05 05/25/09 Mon

During my first 3 exams when my female doctors examined my penis I got full blown erections.

I was not embarrassed and I was not made to feel embarrassed.

It's totally natural. Why would a man feel embarrassed to have an erection in front of a woman?

Author:
LOL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:41:04 08/18/09 Tue

>I was reading a Blog were a nurse in New Jersey
>recalled that in her schooling back in 1968, nurses
>were instructed that is a male patient were to
>ever "show disrespect to them by have an erection
>during a procedure", they were to take a metal spoon
>and strike the male's penis which would cause him
>to lose the erection.
>
>I had trouble believing this to be true but I was
>wondering, is this just another of a million or so
>Urban Legends or was this ever recommended in
>medical training? Can you imagine a male nurse
>striking a female on her breasts if her nipples were
>hard? Hell and the fury of the FBI CIA and the PTA
>would
>rain down.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.