VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:52:42 03/20/13 Wed
Author: rcder41
Subject: Re: New Superintendent Richard Langlois
In reply to: marlboroite 's message, "Re: New Superintendent Richard Langlois" on 11:55:25 03/20/13 Wed

As a teacher I have to disagree. More pay isn't going to make me a better teacher. I don't consider the pay I have to be horrendously low but it's also not in keeping with what my peers make with similar educational backgrounds. But that's not a big deal for me. I like the job.
What teachers need is to be able to teach.
Because of the idea that all our students should excel even at the lower grades teachers now teach with a purchased curriculum that does not allow for any creativity within the classroom. All 5th graders need to be on the same page at the same time.
Kindergarteners are spending less time on play and social behaviors and more time on learning to read and write. Consequently those behaviors then need fine tuning as kids get older and teachers then spend teaching time refereeing disputes. Parents are supportive only if the student is doing well. As soon as the student has difficulty it's the teachers fault. It's certainly not the fault of any one else. Late nights out at sports events, parents who don't want to participate in studying with their child, vacations during times when school is in session, all these things contribute to our children's education or lack of......
It is my hope the new superintendant supports his teachers when they have to encourage parents to participate in their child's education. That he backs up the teachers on discipline issues and allows students serve consequences for actions that are not desirable. Teachers have lost a bit of power when it comes to making students responsible for their own learning. We need that back in order to have children understand how important school really is. Parents think they know how to teach and tell me my job all the time. I have a masters in education and enough credits to add a PHD. I wouldn't presume to tell a Dr. or Lawyer how to do his/her job? Why do parents think they can do mine? Getting a child to learn is a team effort between parents, teachers and the student. It won't work any other way.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.