VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:16:02 05/01/13 Wed
Author: rabw
Subject: Re: Does the Spanish Vote matter
In reply to: Lisa 's message, "Re: Does the Spanish Vote matter" on 13:32:10 05/01/13 Wed

From what I understand, the immigrants that came here, whether Polish, Italian, German or whatever, did not exactly rush to learn English upon arriving at Ellis Island. They moved to area's where fellow immigrants spoke their native tongue, and formed large communities centered around their customs from their homelands. It was not until their children started attending school did English start to make it's way into their everyday life and culture. There are still elderly immigrants from the 40's and 50's, who have lived in America for 60 years, that don't speak a lick of English. But their children appear just like you! I in fact grew up with Italians in my neighborhood, and I could not understand what their parent said, let alone their grandparents!

I agree that immigrants should assimilate as best as they can, and be respectful of the customs and traditions of their new adopted country. But historically, it does take time. Even in the old days!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.