VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
shoey
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 10:07:32pm
In reply to: 412 Express 's message, "Finally" on Tuesday, December 11, 11:53:11am

412-That's the last thing you want to have happen is have your 165 lb red shirt freshman start against YSU. Mitchell is going to start he is much more polished and has a bigger armm. You may need to tell the friends and relatives to hold off a year unless we get a bigtime d1 transfer in. You havbe no clue on how physical the NEC is.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 13, 09:08:27am

Great news to have this confirmed. Always a Duke had the rumors sniffed out and I was hoping to see it made official. I think he has electronic listening devices in the Athletic Office. This is a good chance for a very doable road trip to a great place to see a game.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

[> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 14, 09:50:10pm

I am happy to see us play YSU, the old dominions and georgia southerns....BUT i believe until we have our players stay in the burgh all summer and work out....it actually is unrealistic to expect to win and actually puts our players in harms way. It already isnt an even playing field. Tough task.....dont like athletic departments making $ when they set athletes up for failure. Im watching georgia southern and i dont see one body out there that resembles a duquesne kid.....maybe bell but thats it.....oh well the check is all they care about.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 15, 07:29:17am

Shoey, i am usually pretty critical of the half-a$$ed measures the department takes, particularly when it wouldn't take much more to do it right. Conditioning at this level must be a year-round program and kids like Mike Pasadalis (sp) have taken it very seriously with good results. I would hope that the weight room is open all year.

I don't believe that the department nor the team would see themselves as putting themselves in "harms way" for the money when they play up. That is the Duke's tradition.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 16, 10:48:26pm

Coffee- with all due respect its a lot different to have the weight room open and playing teams that pay for school, meals and they stay together all summer. Huge difference. This year Duquesne takes a bus on labor day weekend the day before they play Old Dominion with a gatorade and one stop for food. They fly home after a team that trains year round and physically exposes our lack of year round scholarship program. I don't think playing up against the likes of ysu old dominion georgia southern is tradition. Playing up against low scholarship teams when we had none may be but this is a whole different animal. I just don't think a check is worth setting student-athletes up for failure. 57-23 (could of been worse) wasn't worth it. I don't think the team gained anything from it. Let's be honest your playing for a check.....and in my mind its just legal prostitution of athletes.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 08:11:18am

Very true about the 165 lb thing, I forgot how frail he looked this year. Hopefully a full year of eating at the towers dining hall and welday's lifting program will pack on a few pounds.

As far as the 'playing up' debate, I also agree that its setting us up for failure, but at the same time its a big help with recruiting. We all know rooney is a sorry excuse for a college football field, so playing bigtime teams is a form of exposure. Going to the delawares, ODU's, and YSU's is an experience in itself. It's the only opportunity a Duke has to play in front of a bigger crowd than they had in high school. I think the pros outweigh the cons in this situation. Plus, just think if we pulled off an upset one year?

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.