VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
Coffee
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Saturday, December 15, 07:29:17am
In reply to: shoey 's message, "Re: Finally" on Friday, December 14, 09:50:10pm

Shoey, i am usually pretty critical of the half-a$$ed measures the department takes, particularly when it wouldn't take much more to do it right. Conditioning at this level must be a year-round program and kids like Mike Pasadalis (sp) have taken it very seriously with good results. I would hope that the weight room is open all year.

I don't believe that the department nor the team would see themselves as putting themselves in "harms way" for the money when they play up. That is the Duke's tradition.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 16, 10:48:26pm

Coffee- with all due respect its a lot different to have the weight room open and playing teams that pay for school, meals and they stay together all summer. Huge difference. This year Duquesne takes a bus on labor day weekend the day before they play Old Dominion with a gatorade and one stop for food. They fly home after a team that trains year round and physically exposes our lack of year round scholarship program. I don't think playing up against the likes of ysu old dominion georgia southern is tradition. Playing up against low scholarship teams when we had none may be but this is a whole different animal. I just don't think a check is worth setting student-athletes up for failure. 57-23 (could of been worse) wasn't worth it. I don't think the team gained anything from it. Let's be honest your playing for a check.....and in my mind its just legal prostitution of athletes.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 08:11:18am

Very true about the 165 lb thing, I forgot how frail he looked this year. Hopefully a full year of eating at the towers dining hall and welday's lifting program will pack on a few pounds.

As far as the 'playing up' debate, I also agree that its setting us up for failure, but at the same time its a big help with recruiting. We all know rooney is a sorry excuse for a college football field, so playing bigtime teams is a form of exposure. Going to the delawares, ODU's, and YSU's is an experience in itself. It's the only opportunity a Duke has to play in front of a bigger crowd than they had in high school. I think the pros outweigh the cons in this situation. Plus, just think if we pulled off an upset one year?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.