VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]
Subject: Duquesne Announces 2012 Recruiting Class

Author:
CoachL
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 04:33:03pm

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020112aaj.html

Dukes receive commitments from 20 student-athletes covering seven states

WELCOME TO THE BLUFF, GENTLEMEN!!

GO DUKES!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: I'd say this is a heck of a class. Good QB, some receivers, and some very sturdy linemen on both sides of the ball. We're also in the hunt for a kid from Piscataway who could be a major "get" for us.

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 10:33:29pm

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: We're also in the hunt for a kid from Piscataway who could be a major "get" for us.

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 02, 06:59:01am

I'd say it's a long shot, but this young man would look great in a Duquesne uniform!

http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/football/index.ssf/2012/01/tevin_shaw_of_piscataway_left_looking_for_a_school_after_iowa_ran_out_of_scholarships.html

"Just yesterday, Duquesne, a Division 1 FCS school offered Shaw a scholarship."

[> [> [> Subject: Re: We're also in the hunt for a kid from Piscataway who could be a major "get" for us.

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 02, 07:08:10am

It looks like he's off to Kansas.

http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/football/index.ssf/2012/02/tevin_shaw_of_piscataway_signs_to_play_for_on_national_signing_day.html

A question for you "old timers"...

Could you have even imagined a few years ago that Duquesne would even be going after a player of this caliber - to join a current team with the caliber of talent we already have on board??

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: We're also in the hunt for a kid from Piscataway who could be a major "get" for us.

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 03, 04:35:54pm

Tevin Shaw had given Kansas an oral commitment; however, he had not signed anything. I have it from good sources that he is on Duquesne's campus today (Friday) taking a tour. He will head back to NJ Saturday morning. So there still is a possibility that the Dukes may land him.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: We're also in the hunt for a kid from Piscataway who could be a major "get" for us.

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 05, 03:38:13am

I heard from reliable sources that Tevin Shaw and his mom were impressed with Duquesne's campus and the school on their recent visit, but Tevin made no commitment to the Dukes. Tevin still plans on visiting Kansas. Obviously Duquesne cannot match Kansas' facilities, but there's more to a college than just the athletic facilities alone. I guess we will find out Tevin's decision in the near future. If Tevin were to sign a NLI with the Dukes, it would elevate the recruiting class a few notches.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Shaw to Kansas

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 13, 04:15:31am

University of Kansas sources are reporting that Mr. Shaw has signed with the Jayhawks.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: We're also in the hunt for a kid from Piscataway who could be a major "get" for us.

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 06:02:00pm

Coach L, I have always believed it was possible that the football program could return to prominence with the right committments and I believe we are getting close! Did I think just a couple of years ago that we would be recruiting these types of kids this soon... absolutely not,no way! Thanks as always for your insights and info! PS My response to your question constitutes an admission to my "old-timer" status! Jack

[> Subject: TO THE DUQUESNE RECRUITING CLASS OF 2012

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 05, 09:00:11am

You are joining a Championship Team at an excellent university with a football tradition going back to 1891. The team has been declared #1 in the Nation among all collegiate programs and then cut from existence. It has won major bowl games such as the Orange Bowl and has played teams ranging from Alabama to Allegheny County Community College after being reborn as a club.

It has steadily grown in stature after its rebirth and has, with your own contribution, fantastic potential.

Please take time to learn some of the tradition you are about to become part of. We wish you well as students and as athletes. No matter what is printed here or on the Football Forum, know that your fans and Duquesne Alumni are behind you. GO DUQUESNE!!

[> [> Subject: Re: TO THE DUQUESNE RECRUITING CLASS OF 2012

Author:
Judge Jack mcVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 06:31:12pm

Coffee, Haha, somebody besides those of us who played against them knows that Community actually had a decent local football team that included some pretty talented local high school players. We beat them my freshman year but it was a tough game and the Onyshko brothers ended up transferring from that Community team to Duquesne and playing pretty well for us! Thanks as always, Jack. PS the fan is better than any picture of me anyway! haha

[> [> [> Subject: Re: TO THE DUQUESNE RECRUITING CLASS OF 2012

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 10:11:56am

I don't know enough about the players or the programs from which they come to judge where this class stands historically. But on paper, the size of these linemen, the reputation of the QB, and the new receivers (including a good-sized TE) are really impressive. And I'd really like to see out program become one of the best FCS programs in the country.

For Judge Jack, those club teams on which you played were very talented for that level of football, something I attributed to the quality of talent in the Pittsburgh area. But what a transition this program has made, first to DIII, then to 1AA, then to FCS. I have always wondered what the program - and DU - would have been like if the HG Fathers would've had the foresight to keep the program after the War. Would we have been on a par with schools like ND and BC?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: TO THE DUQUESNE RECRUITING CLASS OF 2012

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 13, 07:06:34pm

ED- Great observation. Duquesne could be a modern Boston College if their program wasn't cut. To be honest with you, the other thing that Duquesne should have done was to work with Mercy Hospital to put together a decent medical school to provide competition with UPMC.

I read that Pittburgh has the highest health care costs in the nation. This would have added another third to the campus and enhansed the university's reputation and recruitability... and maybe given enough room for some seats around the football field and room for more parking.

... not that the move should have been driven by the football program- It just seems odd that Mercy and Duquesne didn't form a Catholic Health are system like Detriot Mercy and other big city jointures.

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 20, 10:13:12pm

Hey El Duque! I have often wondered "what if" and then realize that I wasn't in the HG Fathers shoes at the time and very well might have made the same decision!My Dad told me that the program had declined some by then but it still had some pretty good individual talent too!Thanks for the love re our teams and the talent level which I agree was pretty good and as you describe, and what I would charecterize as competetive DIII despite the club status.Always enjoy your posts!Thanks, Jack

[> [> [> Subject: Re: TO THE DUQUESNE RECRUITING CLASS OF 2012

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 09, 11:13:40pm

Judge Jack- Some day I'd like expand the blog on Duquesne's Football History. Then, see if it can be published as a book. There are enough newspaper articles from the 1920's on until the program was cut in the 50's but not a lot of info during the Club years into D-3. Has anybody written down the history of the team's re-birth?

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 20, 10:23:07pm

Coffee, how are you my friend? I do agree with you and El Duque and think in hindsight what a bad decision it was to drop football but I wasn't there either! It definitely would be interesting to talk with someone who was there at the time like Dan Rooney who went to Duquesne to play football like his Dad but then it was dropped! I think a book is an excellent idea and would be glad to collaborate but the first two guys to talk to about the rebirth would be Sam Costanzo and Coach McCann! Thanks as always, Jack

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne Announces 2012 Recruiting Class

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 07:38:14pm

Awesome class...Can't wait for summer camp!

[> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne Announces 2012 Recruiting Class

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 11:38:13pm

You know you are progressing as a program when you get such a great recruiting class on paper and dont really NEED them to produce next year. There is depth in this program now. Not saying some wont play but we dont need saviors like before.

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.