VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]
Subject: So why was this game so close? Bit From the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 08:23:57am

Much like Duquesneís only loss of the young season by a single point to Bucknell, the Dukes seemed to outplay the opposition and led in the statistical categories. The closeness of either game canít be blamed upon individual effort.

Offensively, Duquesne had plenty of heroes. The best example would be the pure guts shown by Larry McCoy to grind out a very hard earned 153 yards and a touchdown against a determined Bryant defense. These yards werenít ripped off in chunks as they were the week before. Of the five receptions thrown at Conner Dixon three went for touchdowns. This man proved again that he can find the end zone. Sean Patterson didn't have the game he had the week before but he certainly didnít play badly with over 200 total yards passing and running on a sloppy day. One interception was the ricochet type that bounced off the receiver and the other can be forgiven.

The Duquesne Defense had a number of standouts too. Horvin Latimer and Khiry Carter had 8 stops with Mike Passodelis and newly activated Dorian Bell right behind with 7 and 6 respectively. Collectively, the Dukes had 6 stops in the backfield and three sacks.

Nor can this gameís closeness be attributed to the special teams. Charlie Leventry showed again that the faithful should relax. Hitting on all field goal and PAT attempts and producing a healthy 41.2 yard punting average. He has shown that he can kick under pressure and in the rain as well.

This was just a good back and forth came where the Bulldogs lived up to their nicknames and somehow refused to let the Dukes pull away until Richie Piekarskiís interception with about two minutes left in the game. Every time the Dukes took a lead, Bryant seemed to have an answer with 5 lead changes during the game.

How do the cliques go? You have to "put the final nail in the coffin", "put your foot on their throat", "finish them off", "put them away", "close the door", "Don't let them hang around" etc., etc. The Dukes let this team hang around but this time pulled it out at the end. This is a great team with tons of potential to go very far if it learns to "slam that lid".

Read the Rest on the Blog or at the Rivals Site- Links above.

Last edited by author: Sunday, October 02, 09:12:55am   Edited 3 times.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: So why was this game so close? Bit From the Blog

Author:
DukeFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 10:35:23am

Awesome effort in the game yesterday! The weather was horrendous, but our DUKES stayed focused and minimized mistakes. Congratulations to the Coaches and the boys!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

[> Subject: Re: So why was this game so close? Bit From the Blog

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 10:55:33am

I think the weather played a role in the Duke's not being able to put the Bulldogs away. The field was a little tricky, the wind and the rain were formidable and the play calling as a result was conservative. I saw Dixon and Spragg both slip on their routes, Patterson had some trouble with his grip and Leventry muffed a snap that fortunately worked out for us. Play this game on a clear, calm autumn afternoon and this game wouldn't have been that close.

Also, don't forget that Bryant is a pretty darn good football team. They only lost to Maine by a couple of scores....the same Maine team that yesterday beat
#5 Delaware and earlier almost upset Pitt. Bryant is primarily a big, strong, running team that wants to control the clock and push you around. Yesterday's conditions were an advantage to them.

That said, the Duke's did what they had to do. Defensively, they were very tough, holding Jordan Brown to less than 4 yrds a carry. Turnovers resulted in two of the Bulldog's TDs and a third was a 70 yard pass when our DB slipped on the wet turf.

Offensively it wasn't pretty but we moved the ball quite well given the conditions. Larry McCoy took a pounding yesterday and still gained over 150 yds, and I loved the pass to Brian Layhue over the middle. We need to see more of that. But it was the awesome display of Connor Dixon that wowed me. The kid has 8 TDs now in 5 games. He was denied a 4th TD yesterday when a Bryant DB mugged him in the endzone for pass interference setting up McCoy's TD. Defenses just can't stop this guy. The first TD was one of the finest catches I've EVER seen. He turns the DB completely around, adjusts to a poor throw, has his jersey almost torn of him by a beaten cornerback and makes the catch of a wet ball. Incredible!

Charlie Leventry avg over 40 yrds a punt and put 4-5 inside the twenty. A great performance on a terrible day.

So friends, I think this team came together yesterday and refused to lose. Confidence is building and should continue next week in Albany. One last thing....I hadn't seen Dorian Bell since he played at Gateway. Damn, is he put together or what???

[> [> Subject: Re: So why was this game so close? Bit From the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 11:14:19am

I didn't mean to sound negative and the Dukes did win an exciting game. If I were coach I'd be VERY pleased but still would realize that this team can take it to an even higher level. This could be the best team the Dukes have had in a long time.

Last edited by author: Sunday, October 02, 11:22:34am   Edited 1 time.

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.