VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]
Subject: Re: Athletic Scholarships for NEC Football-Some Clarification

Author:
Curious
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 01:13:57pm
In reply to: Always a Duke 's message, "Athletic Scholarships for NEC Football-Some Clarification" on Tuesday, November 23, 11:21:47pm

I just did some quick, VERY ROUGH calculations based on figures from the Duquesne University web site.

Tuition, Room & Board, Books, and Fees for most of the undergraduate programs comes to APPROXIMATELY $37,500/year.

$37,500 X 22 = $825,000 (2010 football scholarships)
$37,500 X 63 = $2,362,500 (maximum equivalencies)

It appears to me (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that even if the NEC/Duquesne were to go to the full FCS 63 athletic scholarship limit, the effective limit on the amount of money that Duquesne could provide to players on the football team would remain at approx. $2,362,500.

That would appear to mean that moving up to 34, 40, or even 63 athletic scholarships would only change the "pot" from which the money comes.

It would theoretically change the type of student/athlete that Duquesne could recruit. When the majority of aid money comes in the form of merit and/or need-based aid, the types of athletes who are most able to make use of the aid available are good students from disadvantaged backgrounds. However, those student/athletes force the program to reach its aid limit quicker.

Strangely, the "best" prospect in this scenario (aid money-wise) is an average student from a well-off family. If the Dukes' coaching staff finds enough good players who are average students from rich families, they save the programs lots of aid money.

Athletic scholarships, on the other hand, lower the percentage of need-based and merit aid in the overall equation. In this scenario, great students from poor families don't "cost" the program anything extra. Athletic scholarship money is academics and need-blind.

It would appear that raising the number of athletic scholarships largely gives the football program more CONTROL over the scholarship money available, but does little to change the overall amount available.

There is the psychological and emotional issue of the "FREE RIDE" (read: "full athletic scholarship") for which so many high school athletes and their families are looking which cannot be totally discounted.

What am I missing here?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.