VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]
Subject: Time to Reflect and Look Back About 120 Years

Author:
Coffee
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, November 26, 12:28:17pm

Having a couple of days off over the holiday gave me a bit of time to reflect. Running the forum and the blog is really a labor of love. Learning about Duquesne's traditions and passing them on is something I enjoy doing (One of my degrees is an MA in history from Duquesne).

I enjoy going back through the old newspaper archieves to see just how history repeats itself. I read an old PG article about Duke's from the 1930's that observed how absurd it seemed in the 20's to think that Pitt and Duquesne would ever play each other. Not only did the Dukes play Pitt, they beat them twice in the 30's; once when Pitt was ranked #1 in the Nation before Pitt ended the series. I always wonder where the program would be today had not WW II forced the university to gut the entire athletic department when it was one of the best in the nation.

The same thing occurred even earlier than that at the beginning of the 20th Century when the the team from the Pittsburgh College of the Holy Ghost (Duquesne) beat the 1903 team from the Western University of Pennsylvania (Pitt) after losing their first game in 1901. That team was also cut during the First World War. I even found a PG 12/27/1891 mentioning a game between the two schools coming up on New Year's Day but I haven't tracked down who won.

I get a real sense of accomplishment to research to keep records up to date. I'm not sure how many really knows or cares if Duquesne now has over 400 recorded wins all time. I used to wonder if anybody cared that the media guide still lists the West Virginia 1897 as the first collegiate game when W & J and other sources list their 1893 game a full 4 years earlier. The pre-1903 record is now largely documented and should be recorded in the university's media guide.

The Forum and Blog put me in touch with others who think the current program and its history are important. The blog and forum now are measured in the thousands of hits every month rather than the handful it started out with.

Duquesne's program, over time has been re-born many times. Each time starting out as a small time affair and at one time was even ranked by some sources as the best in the nation. Remember when even scheduling Bucknell was an accomplishment?

I wonder what the next decade or so will bring...

Last edited by author: Friday, November 26, 12:58:38pm   Edited 2 times.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.