VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]
Subject: Triumph and Tragedy (and of course a little politics)

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, November 26, 06:15:30pm

Coffee, you are an all conference selection for sure. I wonder if the people on the Bluff truly appreciate your passion. Thank you for making this board available. Getting away from history for a minute, I want to say that I am suprised by the seemingly passive reaction to a really good year by the posters. For example, Shaler Tom who has made very insightful contributions all year is earily silent. Where is everybody? This year was an historical year for the Dukes. The result was unexpected and the play on the field was noticeably improved in almost every category. I'd like to thank those boys for some really good football with 2 exceptions (RMU and Monmouth). The all conference teams came out and I am at the same time thrilled for some of the boys and appalled at the process. Dave Williams and Thai Bangura made first team all conference. Dunn, MCCoy , Dixon and Wade Powell made second team. Our two first teamers absolutely deserve it. Great job, gentlemen. It is tragic that Nathan Totino whose stats were tremendous and whose leadership was unsurpassed was overlooked. Agreed that it was linebacker heavy this year but come'on. Was anyone paying attention? I wonder whether Duquesne even has a seat in the table in this conference from a politcal standpoint. As good as our offensive line was this year blocking for Larry and Bill and protecting Sean you would think that Ronnie (Dunn) would have been named first team. Congrats anyway, Ronnie. I get McCoy being on the second team because of pure numbers but neither the kid from Bryant or from Robert Morris who were great were as valuable to their team as Larry. Next year, big guy. Here is another interesting thing, the receiver from CCSU who made first team had half the number of catches as Dixon!! He was suspended for 5 games for disciplinary reasons, had only 26 catches all year and was not even in the top ten statistically in the conference according to the website. He had three touchdowns, Dixon had 7. I get that the winning teams get the bigger numbers but doesn't that sound ridiculous? I also thought Devin Dugan and Garret Herron from our vastly improved defense deserved some recognition. Eric Duale--it is hard to believe that other kickers were better. Believe me as a former player I love looking back but let's take a few minutes to honor these fine young. I am really looking forward to next year.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Triumph and Tragedy (and of course a little politics)

Author:
moe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 27, 08:52:32am

Congrats to the boys from Duquesne that made the all conference teams. They deserve it! I do agree that it is tragic that Nathan Totino did not even make second team. They were line backer heavy this year, as you stated, but we all know that Nathan Totino did just as good as some of them. Twice elected as defensive player of the week this year. He has great stats to show for his efforts and leadership. Pulling in fourth for number of tackles in Duquesne history is really something he can be proud of. Again, congratulations to the whole team for bringing in third place in the conference. Way to go Dukes!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Triumph and Tragedy (and of course a little politics)

Author:
moe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 27, 08:58:31am

Forgot to add that McCoy, Dunn, Herron, Dugan and Duale deserved some recognition for their efforts as well. Congratulations to them for a great season.

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 27, 09:48:59am

Great summary of the outstanding players for this year- some officially recognized and some not. Not to take away from Williams but I thought that Dixon was our #1 receiver this year. He was our best weapon at Delaware and he seemed to draw more double coverage and could have had even better stats.

Your best point is just how great an improvement the Dukes had this year. There was a ton of momentum going into the Homecoming Game but after that disaster it seemed to take the wind out of the sails. The same thing happened at Robert Morris. Some wins hurt more than others.

The Bryant win was a good one since they haven't been beat at home for more than a year.

Shaler Tom will be back- he's a real fan. Some may be away for the holiday.

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 27, 11:06:48am

I guess they both bring different things to the table. Williams was more explosive and fast than I had imaginged. Real game breaker. Dixon has glue for hands and boy can he jump but he did not run like I thought although most of the catches I saw were sideline routes. As a mobile QB, I thought he would have used his supposedly break away speed more. Great possession receiver though and if he had more time as a receiver maybe we would have seen some of the other things. Anyway, it is a good story.

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 27, 05:58:28pm

Sorry about the "eerily silence". I promise not to stay away as long in the future. I also would like to thank Coffee for an outstanding year at the helm of this fine board.

I thought that the year was a great success for the Dukes. The NEC proved that it is becoming a strong conference and to finish third behind RMU who deserves the title and CCSU was awesome. I still think we got jobbed on that 2 point conversion at CCSU but...so it goes.

As far as the end of the year All Conference teams go, I couldn't agree more with Marquis and Moe. Bangura, playing the middle on an undersized D Line was terrific. He rarely took a play off and took a beating from a physical standpoint the entire year. Every time I talked to that kid after the games, he was iced up, taped up and limping. A true all star, Thai will be hard to replace.

David Williams will surely be missed as well. First in just about every receiving catagory, this was a no brainer. The kid was a threat to go all the way on every play.

Ron Dunn most surely deserved first team status. He was a mountain of a man and was rarely beaten. The voters went with an all senior OL which I suppose is understandable, but Dunn played as well as all of them and better than both of Wagner's first teamers, Feriozzi and Hernandez, at least in the game between the two.

The pick that to me was the most ridiculous was Dixon. Obviously the voters only looked at the statistics which I guess is understandable. Nonetheless, Dixon was probably hurt in the long run by his great performance against Delaware, (my pick to win the title). He was the ONLY receiver to gain 100 yrds against the Hens all year. Opposing coaches saw the film and he was double covered the rest of the year.

Totino was another glaring oversight. This kid was the iron man of the team. Nathan played hurt the entire year with a broken hand, dislocated thumb, strained knee, ankles, and numerous contusions. An awesome role model for the younger kids.

All in all the year was a good one. 7-4, 5-1 at home and a terrific non-conferece showing. Its now up to the AD and administration to take the next step. A full complement of scholsrships, a full time recruitong coordinator, stadium improvements and marketing are what we need to compete on a yearly basis.

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 27, 06:36:59pm

He's back and better than ever..always enjoy your take, TS

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 28, 05:57:28pm

Congrats to our guys but with all due respect when a guy makes it after being suspended 5 games it throws all credibility out the window. We just have to win the conference and everyone will make it.

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.