VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]
Subject: Random musings on the 2010 season and Duquesne Football

Author:
Curious
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sunday, December 05, 05:19:00pm

I'm not sure where I'll go with this post. However, I suspect that it may be rather long! I humbly beg your indulgence.

1. Nathan Totino being left off of the All-Conference teams is a travesty! I understand that the NEC was rich at the linebacker position this year, but... REALLY?

2. In my opinion, Coach Schmitt has put together a coaching staff that can and will guide the Dukes to an NEC Championship and the FCS Playoffs much sooner than later.

3. While I'm not a Duquesne "old timer", it seems to me that this year's team has to be ranked amongst the very best of Duquesne Football's "Modern Era". While all the MAAC success was admirable, the level of competition that this team faced (and in most cases, conquered) far surpasses anything that the Dukes faced in the MAAC days.

4. Congratulations to all of the Dukes who were selected to the NEC All-Conference teams. Honors richly deserved!!

5. Finishing third in the NEC after being chosen to finish seventh is a testament to the fact that those outside of the Duquesne Football Family underestimate what is happening on The Bluff.

6. I'm very interested (and curious!) what others, who are closer to the program than I, think about the talent that is coming up through the program. It seems like the OLine should be solid next year, and our starting QB and RB are first-rate. But what about the guys who are going to be replacing the ones we lost? Lots of turnover in the defensive backfield, for instance.

7. The NEC is really an up-and-coming FCS conference. I am thrilled that Duquesne has come along for the ride. I kinda wish that Marist had joined us, but they seem happy in the PFL. It will be great to welcome Rhode Island in a couple of years.

8. Valparaiso? I understand the scheduling challenges. Heck, even Robert Morris only played 10 games this year because of the difficultly of scheduling Division I FCS opponents, but... Valparaiso? After replacing Delaware with Valparaiso on the schedule, I guess that anything less than an 8-3 season next year will be a major disappointment!

9. Rooney Field. Quaint. Great place to watch a football game. However, as Coffee so succinctly put it: "Not quite yet worthy of the name Rooney, but its getting there..." I don't believe that it is as big a turn-off to potential recruits as some might believe. However, there really is no excuse for this program to have an intramural field as their home. Let's get serious about this!

10. It appears (from my far-off perch) that the members of the Dukes' Football Family now believe that Duquesne "belongs" as a full member of the Division I Football Championship Subdivision. Duquesne is no longer a "I-AA Mid-Major". Now it is time to start convincing others, including members of the Duquesne administration. (I think the folks at Albany, for example have gotten the memo!)

11. The Pittsburgh sports press... What the heck?

12. More night games. Great atmosphere. Great for attendence.

13. "Duquesne is a basketball school." Seriously? When is the last time a Duquesne basketball team made the NCAA Tournament? 1977? I'm pulling for the basketball Dukes to succeed, but where is the football love?

14. Anybody know how much faster the Dukes are going to increase football scholarships after the cuts that took place last January in the four men's programs? We were at 22 for the 2010 season and increasing by 2 each year. The NEC is going to 40 by 2013. Will the Dukes get close to that any time soon? Just curious...

15. I can't begin to express how proud I am of each and every person connected with Duquesne Football this season. I'm proud to say that I am a supporter of the Dukes, and I am proud to have all of these fine young men represent Duquesne University.

GO DUKES!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Random musings on the 2010 season and Duquesne Football

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 05, 06:20:21pm

Additional thought...

To the Duquesne Athletic Department:

Please STOP with the "Playing Up" stuff about the Dukes' success against the Patriot League.

During the MAAC era, playing the Patriot League may well have been "playing up", but Duquesne is in the NEC now and the Patriot League might well be considered to be "playing down".

My wish for the New Year:

I wish that I never see another mention of "playing up" against the Patriot League coming from the Duquesne Athletic Department.

GO DUKES!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Random musings on the 2010 season and Duquesne Football

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 05, 11:47:48pm

3rd place in the conference is a huge morale booster and solidifies the Dukes presence in the NEC. Although some significant players to graduation, we return the bulk and should make a run for the title. I hope the coaches address the recruiting needs this year to replace our losses

[> [> Subject: Re: Random musings on the 2010 season and Duquesne Football

Author:
Kevin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 12, 02:10:37pm

The Patriot League is still a bit better than the NEC, but the gap has closed significantly. However, the PL is having a vote this week as to whether to approve football scholarships. If that happens, the gap may widen again - especially if they allow 50 or more over the next four years.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Patriot League vs. Northeast Conference

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 12, 09:04:15pm

Re: "The Patriot League is still a bit better than the NEC..."

I would argue that is purely subjective perception based upon years past. Every single objective measurement of current conference strength places the NEC above the PL.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?331-GPI-11-23-2010

End of regular season GPI:

Conference Ranking:

1. Colonial Athletic Association (22.188)
2. Missouri Valley Football Conference (27.234)
3. Big Sky Conference (29.097)
4. Southern Conference (30.403)
5. Great West Conference (38.750)
6. Southland Conference (39.875)
7. Ohio Valley Conference (41.792)
8. Ivy League (57.719)
9. NORTHEAST CONFERENCE (58.125)
10. Southwestern Athletic Conference (59.65)
11. Big South Conference (60.554)
12. PATRIOT LEAGUE (64.232)
13. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (66.694)
14. Independents (66.844)
15. Pioneer Football League (70.213)

The VERY questionable RPI:

http://www.realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html

#16 Northeast Conference
#21 Patriot League

The Massey Ratings:

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

1 Colonial
2 Missouri Valley
3 Southern
4 Big Sky
5 Great West
6 Southland
7 Ohio Valley
8 Ivy League
9 NORTHEAST CONFERENCE
10 Southwestern
11 Big South
12 PATRIOT LEAGUE
13 Mid-Eastern
14 FCS Indep
15 Pioneer

(And look at all of the individual ratings on the Massey page. Every single one has the NEC higher than the PL.)

It is possible that if the Patriot League goes to 50+ scholarships that they may pass up the NEC in coming years, but for now, playing the Patriot League is NOT "playing up".

[> Subject: Re: Random musings on the 2010 season and Duquesne Football

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 06, 10:09:28pm

Curious, Great post and I wholeheartedly concur! Specifically, as to "item 3" , I am an old-timer and proud of having played on 3 of the teams Coffee listed as worthy of all-time consideration and I agree that this was clearly one of the most talented teams in Dukes history!Again, kudos to Coffee and the 2010 Dukes!

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.