|Subject: President of Telemundo Puerto Rico talks about Miss Latina USA|
[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: 00:55:33 05/18/13 Sat
The President of Telemundo Puerto Rico, José Cancela, confirmed yesterday the information about the Miss Latina USA Reality. Also, Denise Quiñones, Marisol Malaret, Dayanara Torres and Trump gave their opinions about the Reality Show.
( Google translate from spanish )
And the new Miss Universe is ... Miss Latina USA!
A new discussion has arised around the Miss Universe beauty pageant due to a new beauty reality show to debut in Telemundo next year.
On Tuesday, during the presentation in the U.S. of the new Latin channel programming, owned by the multinational NBC, was announced the creation of the Miss Latina USA reality show. This space will be something similar to the production Nuestra Belleza Latina, from Univision, with the only difference that the winner of the reality show will win a direct pass to the Miss Universe pageant.
In the press release of the network is reported that this is the first time in the history of Miss Universe that two candidates will represent the United States, although one of them will be "Latina".
The president of Telemundo Puerto Rico, Jose Cancela, yesterday confirmed the information and said that Puerto Rican girls have the opportunity to participate in this new contest, which will air in Puerto Rico.
"The interesting thing about this concept is that the title to be awarded to the person will be real, as the winner will have the opportunity to participate in Miss Universe representing Latinos in the United States. This show will be a giant step in making reality shows, as it is a reality "meet the real world." he said in a telephone interview with Primera Hora.
The executive said that the producers of reality have plans to conduct auditions in Puerto Rico. When asked if the reality show could somehow undermine participation in the local contest Miss Universe Puerto Rico, Cancela said no.
"I don't think so. But we are of those who think that the more beautiful, the better. With this contest, there might be the case of having two representatives from Puerto Rico in Miss Universe, instead of one, although it could be two Mexican, Dominican ... etc. "he said.
The girl who wins the reality show, of course, would not represent a country, but the entire U.S. Hispanic community, Cancela said.
"It would represent all Hispanics," he said.
But the real reason for this move of Miss Universe and NBC, is that it represents the economic beauty of the Latino market and Audience in USA.
Proof of this, as said by Cancela, is that U.S. multinational chains continue to open and buying Hispanic channels.
"Definitely this is a clear response to a need, since all the major American media companies are looking to get the tune of the Hispanic market. The Hispanic market is no longer a niche, it's starting to be a very viable market being an integral part of the U.S. market, "said Cancela.
The director of the franchise of Miss Universe Puerto Rico, Desiree Lowry, preferred to remain silent yesterday on the new project of Telemundo until she talks to the MUO.
Natalia Monllor, relationist of Miss Universe Puerto Rico, reported yesterday that Lowry would contact Miss Universe managers for details of the project and then to express her opinion about it.
If someone can get afected with the reality show Miss Latina USA is precisely the local competition (MUPR), as this could cause a considerable decrease in the participation of Puerto Rican candidates, since we are American Citizens and they could compete in that program.
It has also raised a number of doubts about the participation of Miss Latina USA in Miss Universe. For example, if it is a Mexican-born in USA, what is the culture that she will represent? What would be her national costume?
These questions may have answers, maybe not, what is clear is that with this move, NBC and Miss Universe are seeking a clear winner: ratings.
Opinions about the reality
Denise Quiñones (MU 2001):
"In part, it's very strange, because it would not represent a country, but on the other side, it's clear that they are looking for new blood, something refreshing. I believe it's a way to attract other type of public that maybe do not follow beauty pageants that much, and since Reality Shows have increased in popularity... Commercially I can understand the move. And about the National Costume, I guess it will be a Giant TV, since the candidate comes from a Reality Show (jokes, laughs)"
Marisol Malaret (MU 1970)
"The pageant has lost glamour and credibility, it has lost audience and sponsors of prestige, besides the countries are not willing to pay Trump millions to be host, so then it's logical to look at the Latino market in USA. It's a business move, because it will attract a part of the population that is big with strong opinions, to the point that it determined Obama's victory. Apart the us latinos are passionate about beauty pageants and in general latinas are the one's who have won the MU crown the most times. I don't think it will affect MUPR, but it will affect Miss USA because it will lose interest."
Dayanara Torres (MU 1993)
"I do not understand it, because, what it the winner is from Mexico, ¿Which country would she represent? ¿About what culture she would talk about? It seems strange to me."
"Consistenly, Miss Universe obtains the highest ratings in the Hispanic market. Miss Latina USA, without a doubt, would give a new twist to the competition, it will definitely produce high numers in ratings."
Image with their opinions in spanish: http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9484/reinasdf.jpg
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
- So much better if Miss Latina USA compete in Miss USA rather than a pass directly to Miss Universe.I still think is a bad idea,but is less conflicting and controversial.Another great idea would be a Miss Cuba or Miss Cuba USA to give a chance to those beautiful cuban girls living in USA.Any more ideas? Keep them coming.I'm puerto rican,and i believe this is not fair to Miss USA,Miss Universe Puerto Rico and the world's National Pageants.One delegate per country is enough. (NT) -- Think about it Miss Universe Org., 03:18:57 05/18/13 Sat
- I've already read Missosology and other international forums,and many latin and international fans think this is simply ridiculous,a very bad idea. (NT) -- Take note Donald Trump, 03:44:31 05/18/13 Sat
- so besides focusing on the winner getting a chance at the universe title what does she do if she hasn't won universe? (NT) -- LadyChatterly, 07:51:22 05/18/13 Sat
- It is NOT too late to change the winner's admission from Universe to USA. Makea SO much more sense. C'mon MUO - I bet their will be a boycott if the go through with this plan. (NT) -- UGH!, 08:21:42 05/18/13 Sat
- I am not a fan of this idea at all. Why give a title to one etnicity over other ethnicities? Because MUO has markets in those demographics that support the ratings. But it truly is not fair to do that when other countried only get to send one rep. I just don't think it is good for the organization. As it is, I wonder how other countries feel about this issue. (NT) -- SanFranGuy, 08:37:32 05/18/13 Sat
- I don't like this idea either. By the way, I find Marisol Malaret's comment on "credibility" very ironic, since she is one of the most unbelievable winners in pageant history. I can imagine the shock people had back in 1970... (NT) -- MiamiSpice, 09:52:42 05/18/13 Sat
- I think this is one thing that a majority of pageant fans are all in agreement with. THIS SUCKS! (NT) -- HiJake, 17:21:54 05/18/13 Sat
- What bothers me most about this news is this Latina USA thing is that there's no need for it, plenty of Latin girls complete for state pageants so it's not like they were ever excluded. It seems like they want an all white thing going on for Miss USA. But I guess it's good news for Latin girls living in the US that don't have any citizenship and speak Spanish only. (NT) -- I'm Mexican and I think this is pretty unnecessary., 21:19:36 05/18/13 Sat
- sorry, don't agree with this. whats so special about the latins that they get their own pageant on top of miss usa. go back to your own farkin countries if you can't make do like everyone else here has. no other ethnic group expects us to speak their language and give them all of these special rights. (NT) -- georgia peach, 08:32:44 05/19/13 Sun
- I am completely against this. Let's see...Miss Asia USA, Miss African American USA, Miss Middle Eastern USA...then all the other countries should be able to have their minorities represented. Suddenly, a 500 contestant pageant. Leave well enough alone. (NT) -- Reality Check, 08:54:01 05/19/13 Sun
- MUO is losing its credibility. This is so sad. They are going to ruin Miss Universe Puerto Rico and they are going to creat a major upset for european and asian contestants. Maybe, just maybe Donald Trump already sold this edition to Telemundo and we are going to have a latina Miss Universe. (NT) -- Cal, 10:22:17 05/19/13 Sun
- This idea is terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. (NT) -- TERRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE, 11:04:23 05/19/13 Sun
- I have an interesting idea. Whyt not place the winner of the Miss Latina USA DIRECTLY into the semis in Miss USA...sort of like the public vote does. THIS would be something the would satisfy the winner and that pageant but not make other nations angry. Direct to Universe is totally unfair...and I am a BIG MUO supporter. But their idea is just simply not right. (NT) -- me3, 13:23:15 05/19/13 Sun
- Yeah,why not? A pass to the semis in Miss USA is fine with me,NOT Miss Univese! (NT) -- This sucks!, 14:17:19 05/19/13 Sun
- But then,what if Miss Latina USA win Miss USA? That's the question! Loll (NT) -- You see? This idea is so stupid! Very lame., 14:24:12 05/19/13 Sun
- No! I find that insulting and racist. I'm black and compete. How come as a black women I can't INSTANTLY become a Miss USA semifinalst all because I'm black and a special contest was designated for me background. This is blatant bias on the part of MUo (NT) -- Jenny, 14:09:05 05/20/13 Mon
- Orrrrr how about these Latinas in the U.S compete on their own for a state pageant like everyone else does, without a free ride all for revenue? There's an idea. You want to implement a free pass program for various groups, then you better also do a Miss Asia USA, Miss Black USA, Miss Euro USA, Miss Gay USA and all those women should also have the privilege of advancing to Universe or else this will be called the obvious source of partial bias it is for one specific demographic. -- FanaTic, 14:20:21 05/20/13 Mon
- If Trump does this, I will switch my support to Miss America! If Latina USA goes directly to Miss U, why is there not a Miss Caucasian USA too? This is b*llsh*t! (NT) -- TarHeel, 13:43:53 05/19/13 Sun
- I see the entire pageant this way. They will get rid fo the state pageants, turn into a casting call in major cities and then have miss usa. This is the first year in many I can remember it being an accually competitive year. The past few years aside from 15 girls it was pretty bad. (NT) -- i would love to see a massive overhaul and change., 16:36:21 05/19/13 Sun
- some brilliant ideas lately from muo! get rid of scores, start the bq band, miss universe club that you have to pay, create a miss usa latina contest which makes no sense to give hr instant rights to universe..... they can NEVER find a host city, WOW they are on a downhill spiral it seems. (NT) -- Bostonian, 17:55:32 05/19/13 Sun
- This is BLATANT racism against black Americans. Asian Americans. Anglo Saxon Americans. Middle eastern Americans. MUO is not even TRYING to hide the fact that they are bias toward the Latinas! (NT) -- *, 22:27:35 05/19/13 Sun
- So the Latinas in the U.S now get TWO chances to get to Miss Universe. Miss USA and Miss Latin USA. MUO is showing serious lack of good judgment with this. I'm about ready to find a new system to support. Maybe the International pageant. (NT) -- Sparkle, 22:29:16 05/19/13 Sun
- Just watch, Miss Latina USA will replace Miss USA and be MUO golden child and Miss USA will start not making semis, and average Miss Latina USA will start making Miss Universe semifinals EVERY year because of the ratings they produce. What a darn shame, and MUO has no shame for money. (NT) -- Steve The Pageant Fan, 22:31:22 05/19/13 Sun
- I'm half Latin and even I agree this is preferential treatment for us. But even more than that, if you're American even as a Latino, you should compete for the national title and be proud of that. We don't see Miss Asian American at Miss Universe. Just petty. (NT) -- ., 22:34:42 05/19/13 Sun
- Anything for ratings, right MUO? What a horrible slap in the face to all our hard working state pageant competitors and titleholders in the U.S who don't fit your money making ploy. (NT) -- Clean house at MUO and fire everyone. We need fresh new blood, 22:36:58 05/19/13 Sun
- And did anyone actually read the article that this is taking place in Puerto Rico? And being shown in Puerto Rico? This is not happening in some podunk town. So basically there will be Mis sPuerto Rico, and Miss Latina USA who will also be from Puerto Rico. I dont think some chick from california or any other state will go up against the puerto rican girls and beat them. THis will not affect the US pageants at all. (NT) -- it is a pageant, that is all. Keep it in perspective people, 22:43:45 05/19/13 Sun
- And with this, Miss Universe Organization OFFICIALLY jumped the shark. Days are numbered when you do desperate acts like this to survive. (NT) -- Pageantista, 22:44:42 05/19/13 Sun
- I agree this is nothing more than a ratings ploy. But here is the problem - who cares?? Until contestants stop entering preliminary and/or state pageants, directors start losing money and parents/family/friends stop spending money, MUO can do anything they want and will. Maybe contestants should begin to support other pageant system, but I am afraid there will always be girls willing to enter MUO pageants no matter what. (NT) -- And I do agree with the statement this is wave of the future. Castings, no state pageants and reality TV., 23:41:31 05/19/13 Sun
- I am Latino and I am strongly against this stupidity. It's completely unnecessary. Let the Latinas in the USA compete at Miss USA and earn their spot and pay their dues like Susie Castillo and the many others have. This is dumb, but Telemundo is doing this because of Univision's very popular Nuestra Belleza Latina for which the winner gets a one year contract with Univision and becomes instantly famous. (NT) -- Telemundo is owned by NBC which airs Miss Universe. They think they can beat out NBL by making going to MU a prize considering how MU is such a big deal for Latinas., 00:49:51 05/20/13 Mon
- The largest and fastest growing demographic is hardly represented on the pageant stage at the national level. How many girls who refer to themselves as Latina competed at MA or will compete at MUSA? The answer will explain why MUO and Telemundo decided to move in this direction. (NT) -- ureka smoke, 09:13:53 05/20/13 Mon
- ANYTIME Telemundo and MUO partner up with a contract a tactic, we get a Latina winner. Deserved or not. The building blocks are in with MUO to crown a Latin winner this year regardless of how competitie other countries are. (NT) -- SouthernGal, 14:01:41 05/20/13 Mon
- Trump said above he's doing this because the pageant needs the ratings. How pathetic. Miss Universe is not the fair and prestigious pageant I once thought. And I totally agree with others this favoritism toward Latinas of them getting a golden ticket to the grand daddy pageant is unfair to other countries, but also OUR STATE winners here in the U.S. (NT) -- Justin, 14:05:15 05/20/13 Mon
- My question is, why do Europeans Asian and Africans even bother competing for this system? Sure they'll throw a token winner from there but the Americas have won NINE of the past 12 contests. NINE have either been Canada, USA, or the Latinas and in some of those Latin wins they had no right winning (Amelia and Zuleyka) ...... Why are these national directors from other countries even bothering. MUO has an agenda they play with and this confirms it. (NT) -- PageantFortune505, 14:13:45 05/20/13 Mon
- For me, this is the worst decision MUO has made as an organization possibly in their history. Not only is it creating a HUGE uproar among pageant fans all over various forums, sites, twitter and facebook but it makes MUO lose all credibility. This is a pretty low move even for Trump. (NT) -- Observer, 14:16:22 05/20/13 Mon
- A great way to promote the Miss Latina Universe pageanat would be to have the Miss Universe pageant in Puerto Rico. (NT) -- delilah, 16:14:24 05/20/13 Mon
- I think what is insulting is how transparent this is. (NT) -- SanFranGuy, 16:18:39 05/20/13 Mon
- I've really not wanted to comment on all of this, but this is a terrible idea. Does this now mean that all Latinas should only compete for Miss Latina USA? Or does it mean that every ethnic group now gets to have a pageant for USA and bypassing to go straight to Universe? Is there now hope for all the brown women who are passed over in Venezuela. Will you have to release papers that prove your Latina-ness or if you "look" the part you make it? Will speaking Spanish be the requirement or can New Yoricans make it in? So confusing. (NT) -- va gal, 17:05:41 05/20/13 Mon