VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345678910 ]

United States of Beauty Board/USB Bubble Board

Pageant Information Sites State Message Board Links Links for the USB Community Links for your posting needs

Miss USA State Pageant Dates for 2017 State Titles

USA state pageants for 2017 are now COMPLETE !Stay tuned for national Miss USA and Miss Teen USA dates !

OFFICIAL Sponsor of the Mr. USB contest

Subject: This is such a bittersweet moment captured.

Author:
KiwiGuy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:29:33 01/30/17 Mon

I need this framed. #piawurtzbach #missuniverse #finalwalk #michaelchico #aprilsoderstrom #marquisbias #styledbymb

A photo posted by Marquis Bias (@marquis.bias) on

Last edited by author: Mon January 30, 2017 18:36:53   Edited 1 time.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Replies:
Subject: Miss Universe winner controversy: Twitter users say Iris Mittenaere's answer was mistranslated

Author:
GoldenBoy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:05:25 01/31/17 Tue

This was on AOL's homepage; seems Iris' answer was way more substantive than translated. Link and story here:

www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2017/01/30/miss-universe-2017-winner-controversy/21703405/

The possible mistranslation of Miss France's answer to the final Miss Universe question has spurred controversy on Twitter, where some users are saying Iris Mittenaere — who was crowned Miss Universe on Sunday — was misquoted.

When many people think of Miss Universe, they picture sexy swimsuits and sparkly evening gowns fit for royalty. Yet the pageant also includes a personality interview, a segment that gives viewers a chance to learn more about the contestants as people. In a pageant previously co-owned by Donald Trump and one criticized for sexism, racism and body-shaming, the competition's personality interview matters.

Still, as important as it is to remind viewers the contestants are worth more than their looks, the interview segment poses a challenge for pageant producers. After all, the contestants come from all over the world and not all speak fluent English. This language gap requires the use of live interpreters.

But did Mittenaere's interpreter correctly translate her answers? Some Twitter users are complaining Mittenaere's words were not properly interpreted during her final interview question.

Here's how her answer was interpreted onstage, according to Angelopedia:

"I've failed several times in my life, so I thought that I failed the first time that I went out on a casting, because my name wasn't on the list. The very next day, I found that I was in a new book. So I think that when you fail, you have to be elevated, you have to try again, and keep going. If tonight, I'm not one of the winners, I will still have the great honor of being one of the three finalists, so I think that I have failed before, but I think this is a great first opportunity."

Twitter user Erwan Heussaff tweeted his own translation of Mittenaere's answer:

“I have failed several times in my life. I thought I had failed my first year in medical school because my name wasn’t on the passing list. So, the very same day I went to buy a new set of medical books to keep on studying. I think when you fail, you need to stand up and keep going, we are all able to do so. If I don’t win tonight, I will still keep on smiling tomorrow because I am proud to be part of the 3 finalist. I’ve learnt a lot from my failures and happily, I did end up passing my first year of medical school.”

At her first press conference as Miss Universe, Mittenaere defended her interpreter. However, she did clarify that she said medical school, not casting, in her interview answer.

Interpretation, while critical to a multilingual world, is an imperfect art. Language is complex, context is crucial and cultures have different ways of capturing certain concepts. In hospitals, a mistranslation can cost a life. The same goes for court interpretation. And if you ever thought robots could eliminate human error, you should know auto-translation software still has miles to go.

Now take all the normal challenges of interpretation and add the pressure of live television. It's easy to see why Miss Universe's live interpreters would get nervous and possibly even make mistakes.

Technically, the only requirements for Miss Universe involve age and pregnancy. Contestants must be between the ages of 18 and 28. They also cannot be married, pregnant or have given birth to a child.

Still, even if there are no restrictions regarding height or weight, the contestants generally fit certain standards. Otherwise, Miss Japan's complexion or Miss Canada's size would not have been worth noting in mainstream and social media. For the pageant to really be more than a display of female objectification and an exercise in body-shaming, it needs to evidence diversity — not just a diversity of looks, but a diversity of talents and opinions.

When Miss Universe contestants speak, viewers owe them the respect of listening — just as they listen to co-host Steve Harvey, who was surprisingly invited back for Sunday's competition despite his previous crowning flub. The woman who wins the crown spends an entire year making public appearances, including countless speaking engagements. Thus, it matters how a non-English-speaking Miss Universe is interpreted for the general public.

After all, a big part of Miss Universe's job involves choosing and advocating for a social cause. Mittenaere, for instance, has chosen to focus on oral hygiene for her awareness campaign. Who knows what the student of dental surgery could do to change public health? Hopefully, accurate interpretation will facilitate that end.

Replies:
Subject: That moment. Audience POV

Author:
KiwiGuy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:22:04 01/31/17 Tue

A video posted by Erion Zeqiraj (@erionzeqiraj) on

Replies:
Subject: who is competibng for Miss Alaska?

Author:
betty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:38:06 01/31/17 Tue

Nothing on the web... very outdated

Replies:
Subject: Miss Earth and Miss International at Miss Universe. Wonder what they thinkin bout Iris?

Author:
KiwiGuy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:23:37 01/31/17 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Miss Universe takaways... According to Kenya, Trump has unified our nation. And I believe Haiti said that there are six different human species.

Author:
Yep, they said it!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:06:00 01/30/17 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Interview

Author:
Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:41:14 01/30/17 Mon

We'll I had an opportunity to reflect overnight about the wonderful direction that the IMG organization is moving in. Without question future cycles will no longer reflect caricatures of marketing products. They don't just want physical or subjective beauty. Last night the organization sent a clear message that intellect and universal appeal is there new formula for success.

They sent a clear signal to the world and all preliminary pageant organizers that a new day has arrived and here to stay. The theme of cultural tolerance and racial inclusion was on full blast last night. The racial and cultural composition throughout the pageant was mesmerizing. The judges panel, entertainment, host/commentator and semi finalist selection represented the World community. I think that the Miss Brazil and Colombia organization read the tea leaves earlier and sent untypical prototypes to represent there nation.

Osmel, didn't get the memo and there delegate paid an enormous price. All of the money and influence of the Venezuela machine couldn't propel there delegate to semi finalist status. Her stage presence was flawless. She had a year to be transformed into one of Osmel manufactured Goddesses. Her lack of facial beauty stage presence didn't hinder her. But her inability to connect her life story to something broader is what devastated her prospects for success last night. You cant teach a person how to wow in interview. It has to be inherited. Charisma is a gift and can't be taught is coaching sessions. The Obamas, Bill Clinton are examples of charisma and overall stage presence. If a pageant girl cannot connect to people on an intellectual or emotional level she will lose at the national international level of competition.

Miss Kenya emotionally won the pageant, but Miss France was the great communicator. Miss Brazil blew her moment in the first interview. In any pageant the first on stage conversation is your introduction to the World. I was absolutely horrified that her prep team didn't prepare her for this type of question. She could have elaborated on the racial and income inequality in her Country, and how her presence as a black women from Brazil would bring awareness to change in her Country. Miss Colombia is a black women from Choco and properly would have been more comfortable talking about racial and social unrest in her Country. If Miss USA had made the top six, she would have done well. Deshauna has excellent interpersonal communication skills and she sounds like an empowered woman when she speaks. That's the direction the organization is moving in. The Miss USA Pageant is five months away. I've reviewed a lot of post interviews from various State winners on-line. Miss Georgia, California, Illinois, South Carolina, Neveda, Oklahoma and New York are incredible public speakers. If Miss California or Miss Georgia can answer questions as effectively as they engage in interpersonal conversations on television (check out YouTube), they will be your last two standing in June. Interview, Interview, Interview you guys is the closer with IMG.

Replies:
Subject: I love this Miss Universe, so classy, humble, and confident

Author:
fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:31:40 01/31/17 Tue

Miss Universe Press Conference after the pageant

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VQiAEZRWJHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Subject: Timing of Next MU Pageant

Author:
Former
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:04:17 01/30/17 Mon

Will the new Miss Universe's reign be cut short? Due to MUO/IMG wasting time, our current Miss Universe is Miss Universe 2016. ...It's 2017. We will have another MU pageant soon?

Replies:
Subject: Not logged in posts were not from me

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:05:38 01/31/17 Tue

Hey all, this is a little off topic but I just wanted to say that there were some posts that were made under the name "Samuel" during the final telecast. I want to emphasize that any posts that are not under the logged-in handle were not made by me. Thanks.

Subject: Did Canada gain weight on purpose to have a story?

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:55:20 01/31/17 Tue

Something tells me she gained weight on purpose. There was a side by side photo of her after she won Canada in a swimsuit vs. her in swimsuit now. If I would be competing, I certainly wouldn't want to gain pounds since I'm moving up to an international stage. Wonder if she do it so she could make a story, out of nothing. She still is beautiful. NOT fat at all like some people are describing her. She's very normal if you were looking at women on a beach. But maybe not pageant (swimsuit) material.

Replies:
Subject: When Formers Become National Directors: Miss France 2002, Miss Netherlands 2002, Miss Singapore 2002

Author:
KiwiGuy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:55:28 01/31/17 Tue

Replies:
Subject: France's First congratulates Iris: Christiane Martel at 85. yes, you read it right. 85.

Author:
KiwiGuy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:00:03 01/31/17 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Korea was Miss Congeniality. Albania was Miss Photogenic.

Author:
KiwiGuy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:34:27 01/31/17 Tue

KOrea

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: [1]2345678910 ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.