|Subject: My apologies for being "missing in action" over the last few days. LOUISIANA was a whirlwind of excitement and ended up being one of the most competitive pageants I've ever attended! Congratulations to RPM for putting on a tremendous production. That stage was awesome, and the show went on without a hitch. Just sitting back watching the production I realized how lucky Louisiana is to be under the direction of RPM. I'd also like to congratulate the winners, who I think will both be very competitive at their national pageants!|
[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: 11:30:13 10/27/14 Mon
These are my comments/ opinions on some of the MISS contestants from this past weekend in Louisiana. Like I said, things were very tight. I think just coming up with a top 10 was brutal, much less picking a winner.
MISS LOUISIANA USA, CANDICE BENNATT - After prelims I knew Candice was in the top 3. She just looked the part and radiated confidence. There is discussion over her gown, but I actually liked it (despite not caring for the designer), and I thought it was different and stood out from the rest. Wasn't my favorite, but it did the job it was supposed to. She won swimsuit, and I agreed with that pick as well. In finals, I also picked her to win the title. I look forward to her continuing Louisiana's streak at Miss USA!
1ST RUNNER UP, Sharee Carroll - I help with the Miss Lafayette/ Acadiana pageant, and Sharee is the reigning Miss Acadiana. When she was crowned back in April, I knew without a doubt that she would be in the top 5. I think she is only 19 years old, and has many years of eligibility left. I'm certain this title will one day be hers! I thought she looked great in all rounds of competition, and thought she gave the best answer in onstage question.
2ND RUNNER UP, Whitney Moss - I didn't have Whitney making the top 5. Not because she didn't deserve it, because she absolutely did. I just couldn't make room in my personal picks. I had 9 girls making the top 5 (Whitney was one of them). But I certainly was not surprised that she made the cut. She is kind of a triple threat, always doing great in interview, gown, and swimsuit. So she could easily win this title. I think she has one or two more years of eligibility, so we shall see!
3RD RUNNER UP, Tanya Crowe - I knew to watch out for Miss Florida Parishes before the pageant, even when she wasn't getting a lot of hype. She has a great team behind her, and more importantly, I really think she has a "USA body" to help her through the earlier rounds of competition. Very tall and lean muscle... I know that will work in her favor moving forward. I think she lacked a little spark in personality on stage. But she is young, and this was a great first showing!
4TH RUNNER UP, Lauren Whittle - I'm happy Lauren made the top 5 on her final attempt at the title, as I believe she ages out this year. She is one of the sweetest, most genuine contestants Louisiana has ever had. I think this feature shows up well in her interview, which could explain her placement. I didn't have her advancing quite this far. I thought she could have worked on her fitness a little more, and I personally didn't gravitate towards her gown. But like I said, everyone is always happy for Lauren because she is so well liked. I congratulate her on a long, illustrious career in Louisiana pageantry, and wish her all the best!
TOP 10 - Devin Boyd (Red Stick) - I'm not really concerned with everyone saying I'm biased because I liked Devin's chances. I wasn't the only one who had her making the top 5. Several people said it was between she and Candice to win the title. I agree with that, as Devin was also in my personal top 3 after prelims. The photos that were put up on this site after prelims did her no justice. Her swimsuit was amazing, and I thought she had the best evening gown presentation in the entire field. Truthfully, I ranked her 1st runner up overall, and was very surprised to see her not make the top 5. With one year left of eligibility, it will be interesting to see how she competes next year!
TOP 10 - Madeline Langlinais (Lafayette) - Madeline rounds out my top 3 after prelims. I had her ranked as 2nd runner up over all, and thought she had a great showing. I agreed with many posters on here that her presentation was a little over the top in prelims, but she really worked that out in finals, where I thought she looked sensational in both swimsuit and evening gown. She had my favorite swimsuit of the competition, and I thought that black gown was beautiful on stage. (It did not look nearly as pretty in pics or on the video I saw)... But up close, it was fantastic! She is another young contestant with many years ahead of her. I look forward to watching her growth in this system!
TOP 10 - Maaliyah Papillon (Greater Lake Charles) - After several top 5 finishes in TEEN, Maaliyah burst onto the scene with tremendous confidence and poise. I really love this girl, and hope she wins the title one day. I also had her in top 5, and though it was the best I ever saw her. Her figure, which was her crutch in teen, was totally ironed out. She looked great in swimsuit. And the gown (even though I would never suggest pink in MISS) really worked great on her.
TOP 10 - Felicia Bolton (Monroe) - I knew Felicia would do well, but personally I eliminated her in top 18 after her swimsuit presentation. It certainly wasn't bad, I just had others ahead of her. She gave a good showing, but was a little over the top most of the night (something I see often in MAO). But if she returns a little more refined and poised, she could do well.
TOP 10 - Abby Guidry (Vermilionville) - I'm very happy for Abby making the top 10. I personally did not have her making it this far, but I know she has a vast amount of potential and could really shake up the rankings in the future. A cousin of former Miss Louisiana USA, Erin Edmiston, Abby showed a lot of confidence, and has a really nice interview. Keep an eye on her in the future.
TOP 18 - Christina Famularo (Lakeshore) - Shocked she did not make the top 10. I thought this was her best year ever in this competition.
TOP 18 - Hilary Tuttle (Gulf Coast) - Another one I was shocked with her elimination. A lot of people did not care for her gown. I actually liked it. It was simple and refined. And her swimsuit figure was fantastic.
TOP 18 - Sara Comiskey (Crescent City) - I think Sara kind of sabotaged herself in a way. The hair was too blonde, the tan was too orange... If you could get beyond that, she is a beautiful girl, best smile award in my opinion. Clearly has a spark and could make the top 5 next year if she is styled properly.
TOP 18 - Mariah Gewin (Pelican State) - Mariah is a beautiful blonde. Her problem may lie in her size. She is a small framed contestant. But her swimsuit figure looked phenomenal, and I loved her gown. I guess the judges just couldn't squeeze her into their top 10. A good showing for her though.
TOP 18 - Lauren Vizza (Vieux Carre') - If Lauren would have made the top 5, she could have won. But I think she was just not quite as fit as some of the other contestants, and personally I didn't favor her gown. She has a striking face though. I think she may have a year or two left to compete?
TOP 18 - Taylor Halsey (New Orleans) - Taylor did well. She deserved the top 18 placement. Along with the judges, I eliminated her in the swimsuit round. I think she needs to find a spark moving forward. She could do well.
TOP 18 - Amanda Piglia (Camellia City) - Nice figure. Seemed a little manic in presentation though. If she can work out a few quirks, she could progress through the ranks in this competition.
TOP 18 - Deandra diNapoli (LSU) - I know she received a lot of hype going into this competition. I never really gave her credit in this field because I saw her win LSU, and I find her just too small to compete against some of the others. When she was on stage, I thought her modeling needed work, and she just lacked confidence. I did not have her in my top 20.
OTHER NOTABLE NON-FINALISTS
Ragin' Cajun (Ashley Giambelluca) - No one will be able to explain her exclusion from the Top 18 to me. I thought she was top 5 in both swimsuit and gown. The only comment I had was that she could have had a little more energy in gown. And I know she interviews great, so this one is a head scratcher for me.
UL (Kimberly Newville) - One of my favorite gowns of the night, and a rock hard body. Some have said she needs to get to MAO asap. I think she can compete well in both systems.
CENLA (Courtney LeBlanc)- I think she can work on her fitness a little more. But she has the face. She will make the cut in future competitions.
VIOLET (Krista Toussant) - She could have made the top 10 and I wouldn't have been surprised. I think her not making the top 18 shows just how competitive this group was.
HEART OF ACADIANA (Alexandra Ahmadi) - Alexandra is a strong competitor... But yes, as discussed on other posts, she had a pretty bad fall in swimsuit. Probably the worst I've ever seen (at least in the swimsuit category). I think it was just too much for the judges to forgive, and none of them could look past it. She looked great in evening gown, but the damage was already done. I was asked if I thought she could have won if this has not happened. I think she could have found herself deeper into finals, but considering some of the other girls that got cut in top 10, that's probably where I would have placed her as well.
Last edited by author: Mon October 27, 2014 12:16:44
Edited 2 times.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
- nice read. Thanks for your input. Quick question, you referred to several being "small" what do you mean? Short? The winner was on the short side. I wish we could all drop the height card. So many deserving beautiful girls and we have proven record that short girls can win (NT) -- Olivia, Nia more to come, 11:58:46 10/27/14 Mon
- Though critical of the winner, I had her in the top from the start. Will do very well at nationals and has a figure to die for. (Gown fit like a dream, I just would have cut off that inverted triangle and make the stones more rich looking.) Sharee is phenomenal; my only critique is I'd like for her to darken her hair. I didn't have Whitney in my original top 5, but only b/c I didn't have room. She looked the best she's ever looked. Tanya is stunning; with some more experience on stage she could be a threat. I had Devin, Madeline, and Maalyiah in my top 5. Devin was phenomenal, Maalyiah was so elegant, and Madeline really fixed her issues from prelims to make a stunning, elegant showing on finals night. I would have loved Tuttle to make the top 5; she was my dark horse for the crown. Comiskey was a little too blonde but the dress was great and she exudes personality. Gewin made a great showing and surprised she didn't make 10. Giambelluca has a great figure but needs more pep (NT) -- DAPHNE, 12:12:48 10/27/14 Mon
- Thanks for this iceman. I think this years top 5 photo is one we will look back on in years and see many Miss Louisiana's in. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite states. (NT) -- jmo, 12:18:22 10/27/14 Mon
- Thank-you ICEMAN for the objective review and your personal take of the outcome. (NT) -- Merci beaucoup mon ami, 13:18:42 10/27/14 Mon
- Thanks ICEMAN for the rundown on the finals......of course, we only get to see the webcasts, that sometimes don't quite translate as well into what is really happening on stage. Now I understand why these girls made the Top 5. (NT) -- SexyDrew82, 13:29:16 10/27/14 Mon
- Thanks for the review! (NT) -- Athalia, 13:41:59 10/27/14 Mon
- It's always nice to get an honest, objective review from someone in the audience who is a respected member of the board. Thanks sweetie, for taking the time to do this and giving us a taste of "being there". (NT) -- DAIRYQUEEN, 14:21:26 10/27/14 Mon
- Ditto. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, ICEMAN! (NT) -- Celia Fo'realia, 14:52:09 10/27/14 Mon
- Ahmadi sore loser, i hope she read lol and there's no chance for horrible SS Presentation would make it even in top 50 lol, thanks ICEMAN! (NT) -- yup, 15:02:43 10/27/14 Mon
- Oh really?!?! She walks the runways of top designers! Alexandra can walk! You can't! (NT) -- Know the facts before you open your mouth!, 21:55:34 10/27/14 Mon
- Are we talking about the girl that FACE-PLANTED in the prelim swimsuit competition? I'm not saying she can't walk, but in a VERY competative field surely not makign the cut after face-planting can't be all THAT much of a shocker. I mean, the facts do rather speak for themselves in this situation. (NT) -- Tiki-Java, 22:56:05 10/27/14 Mon
- With all due respect, I'm an Alexandra fan, but if you've read through her Model Mayhem website and followed her for a while, you'd know that most of her modeling is pretty well in Texas with a little dabbling in NYC. I don't know if that constitutes saying she walks the runways of top designers. And yes, the girl can work a runway!!! It was highly unfortunate that her stumble happened on a state stage, when she could have easily been a frontrunner. Alas, it wasn't meant to be and maybe she can still have her ticket to USA before too long. I would like to see her compete there, to see how far she can objectively get! (NT) -- ...., 23:00:52 10/27/14 Mon
- I love reviews like that! Everyone that attends a state pageant, please take a note and write a similar review for all of us. It'd be greatly appreciated! (NT) -- HawtPlusSeksi, 17:54:36 10/27/14 Mon
- Thanks for the great rundown! Always appreciated! Also, could not agree more on Hilary Tuttle's gown. It was my favorite of the bunch. Great color on her, so classy, and it really stood out in a sea of bedazzled gowns. (NT) -- NKH, 17:55:34 10/27/14 Mon
- Thanks for the recap! I was looking forward to this. (NT) -- JennNYC, 19:22:32 10/27/14 Mon
- STOP TRYING TO BULLY US INTO ACCEPTING YOUR OPINIONS!!! MODS PLEASE MAKE ICEMAN STOP!!!! (NT) -- BamaMan, 20:48:44 10/27/14 Mon
- This is a very thourough review, ICEMAN, giving us a more real idea of how competitive this pageant was. It looks like Louisiana hosted the most competitive state pageant so far, with many beautiful girls out of the semis. (NT) -- MiamiSpice, 00:41:18 10/28/14 Tue
- OH MY GOD!!! When they said she tripped on stage I thought it was a little slip...but holy shit, she like fell off a cliff!!! WOW! One of the worst falls I've seen in a long time. As far as her mouth....that has ALWAYS been a huge topic of discussion in Texas. She is a gorgeous girl until she snarls and sneers with her mouth. You would think that after competing for years that someone would have told her to tame that mouth or don't smile, to HELL video tape herself while she practices so she could see what that mouth does when she's "on". She is a girl that is pretty for modeling and ad campaigns...but she does't have the face for a beauty pageant. I honestly think she is wasting her time in pageantry, she should focus her efforts in a place where beauty like hers is welcomed and appreciated and thats in high fashion modeling and editorials. She's really just wasting her time. -- JMHO, 00:45:18 10/28/14 Tue
- The purpose of my commentary was not to have nasty comments thrown around regarding specific contestants. But I'd like to address the issue surrounding Alexandra Ahmadi... The bottom line is she looked great. Had she not taken that fall, she definitely would have been in the conversation of winning. The hateful banter back and forth is not necessary. Ultimately this is just a pageant. I wish Miss Ahmadi success moving forward... (NT) -- ICEMAN, 12:13:12 10/28/14 Tue
- Sharee needs to completely re-do her hair. Colouring (!!!), cut and styling. All of it. Her EG hair esp., it aged her tremendously. Her pics did not project young and vibrant. I truly believe her hair is the main culprit (also make-up). Like I said earlier, I wanted to put her as my #1 so I don't at all think she's unworthy. (NT) -- eloise, 12:31:17 10/28/14 Tue
- I havenet said a word regarding others opinons on her attitude. However one thing stuck out to me when she wrote "People didn't even know I didn't know what concealer was until one week before the pageant! Lol" Um... this is not your 1st pageant. So this commeent just strikes me as LIAR. Why lie? Why make up stories? It seems she likes to exagerate more than most pageant girls and that grates on my nerves. (NT) -- jmo, 15:26:44 10/28/14 Tue
- We missed you! So happy you are having all this fun going to FL, TX and LA! (NT) -- Bostonian, 18:57:40 10/28/14 Tue
- What is sad is that OBVIOUSLY Alexandrias mother is posting on this board. As a mother it's instinct to find no fault or flaw with ones daughter, but in doing that, you're also doing a huge disservice to your daughter because you can't objectively step back and acknowledge some of the truths being mentioned about your daughter. 1) As her mother, of course you'll never acknowledge that your daughter does weird things with her mouth on stage...but she does, and it's a huge distraction. 2) both you and your daughter are crying "politics" and how Louisiana is affraid to crown a Texan.....uh, the winner IS a Texan. So that political theory is crushed. 3) you're daughter is tall and gorgeous and has a face for modeling NOT pageantry, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. 4) if you're daughter chooses to compete, quit being defensive and calling everyone a hater, perhaps some people are just speaking the truth and you both just refuse to accept and in return choose to be defensive. -- For real, 02:48:11 10/29/14 Wed
- I think the Ahmadi posts should be done. Her friends and family are certainly not giving up being defensive. And we all know the critics are never going to disappear either. (NT) -- The horse is dead. Let it be., 13:34:19 10/29/14 Wed