|Subject: How a woman from the Dominican Republic became Miss New York - NY Post|
[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: 00:08:59 01/21/18 Sun
Genesis Suero only became an American citizen seven years ago — but she’s already the queen of New York.
“I love, love, love my city,” said the 26-year-old Harlem resident who was crowned Miss New York 2018 after beating out a group of 133 contestants on Jan. 14. She’ll go on to represent the state in the Miss USA pageant later this year. “It’s the American dream. I wasn’t born here, and now look where I am.”
“I remember watching TV in the Dominican Republic in 2002, and I saw one of the contestants for Miss Universe, and I said, this is what I want to do. This is what I want to be. This is going to be my career.”
But it’s her other career that has proved an excellent training ground for the pageant world.
For the past six years, Suero has worked as a male-skincare specialist at Bloomingdale’s flagship 5th Avenue store. “English is not my first language,” she said, “but when I work I always talk to everybody in English” — an experience that’s boosted her confidence and public speaking prowess.
Two of her regular customers even sponsored her bid for the crown after hearing she was entering the pageant. “They saw these things … in me, and they didn’t hesitate to invest,” she said. “They got a good deal!”
She has an incredibly packed schedule, as the beauty queen is also wrapping up her bachelor’s degree as a business management major at Hostos Community College. But Sueros has her pageant prep down to a science. She wakes up at 5:45 a.m., downs a Nespresso, and makes an omelet to fuel her busy days.
“I have the gift of being skinny, petite, so I must take care of what I have,” she said. That means workouts at grueling boot-camp gyms Tone House and the Fitting Room, and even running last year’s New York City marathon. The famous race helped deepen her love of the city.
“My favorite part of the marathon is the Verrazano Bridge,” she said. “Oh my god, beautiful!” This year Suero plans on running in her sash.
The one thing that Suero doesn’t have time for is dating. “I have a lot of admirers, but I’m so busy,” she said. “I get invited to dates, and I wish I could go, but I can’t.” For now, she said, “I’d rather be alone, working on me.”
Suero sees the pageants as her chance to empower those around her.
“I really want to share the gift that God has gifted me,” she said. “He hasn’t gifted me financially, but he has gifted me a very amazing personality. I can make people laugh and I can make them happy, and if you can do that you don’t need money.”
Photo: Annie Wermiel/NY Post; Stylist: Estrada Twins; Hair: Cynthia Petfield; M
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
- I'm liking her more and more... (NT) -- she'll place at USA most likely, 11:51:36 01/21/18 Sun
- She is full of herself. She has many admirers, It seems like the only one who she is going to empower is herself (NT) -- NY, 13:49:09 01/24/18 Wed
- Not good to be 25 or 26 and still working on your degree. Shes a sales associate/cashier, plain and simple. (NT) -- Not impressed if shes supposed to represent the empowered woman of today in America, 20:19:08 01/24/18 Wed
- I like getting to know her a bit more (running in the NYC Marathon), it's a nice counterpoint to commentary on the ghetto-izing of Miss NY USA 2018 Pageant that I've read through here recently. (NT) -- nsi, 10:18:05 01/25/18 Thu
- Why does NY screw up so much? Last year was fine, but it is hit or miss with them, including teen (NT) -- Clapper, 12:37:10 01/27/18 Sat
- She is short and unremarkable in photos. No way this woman would have won a state pageant 10 years ago. (NT) -- No just no, 12:39:46 01/27/18 Sat
- She goes to a community college. She is not getting her BA, she is getting her AA. Why is she lying? Community colleges do not have 4 yr programs (NT) -- Community College, 12:41:35 01/27/18 Sat
- Let me educate some of you who hasve not taken the time to learn about community colleges. A community college (CC) is affordable. (Continue) -- ., 07:48:12 02/01/18 Thu
- Several if not all community colleges are partnered with four year institutions. When the student graduates from the affordable community college they move on to that university that is partnered with that community college. I know a young lady that obtained her AA from a CC continued on to a prestigious university obtained her BS, and now has 3 Masters, has just applied to Harvard to work on another Masters and thereafter her Doctorate degree. Whatever 2018 Miss New York USA circumstances at least she is moving forward and accomplishing her dreams. For your information a former Miss New York USA that made top ten was petite, one became Miss USA.! Get off your high horse (NT) -- ., 07:52:25 02/01/18 Thu
- Nope not seeing it at all!! Very full of herself. She reminds me of Courtney Hall from Indiana, and that is not a compliment!! I (NT) -- Harmony, 17:34:12 02/01/18 Thu