VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]

United States of Beauty Board/USB Bubble Board

Pageant Information Sites State Message Board Links Links for the USB Community Links for your posting needs

Miss USA State Pageant Dates for 2018 State Titles

Oct 20-21, 2017
Miss/Teen Louisiana USA

Oct 21-22, 2017
Miss/Teen Miss Indiana USA
Miss/Teen Virginia USA

Oct 27-28, 2017
Miss/Teen Mississippi USA

Oct 28-29, 2017
Miss/Teen Arkansas USA
Miss/Teen Colorado USA
Miss/Teen Maryland USA
Miss/Teen New Hampshire USA

Nov 3-4, 2017
Miss/Teen Alabama USA

Nov 4-5, 2017
Miss/Teen North Dakota USA
Miss/Teen Washington USA

Nov 11-12, 2017
Miss/Teen Ohio USA
Miss/Teen Vermont USA

Nov 17-18, 2017
Miss/Teen Arizona USA
Miss/Teen Georgia USA
Miss/Teen South Carolina USA

Nov 18-19, 2017
Miss/Teen Miss Massachusetts USA

Nov 19, 2017
Miss/Teen Hawaii USA

Nov 25-26, 2017
Miss/Teen Delaware USA
Miss/Teen Kansas USA
Miss/Teen Maine USA
Miss/Teen Minnesota USA
Miss Texas Teen USA

Dec 2-3, 2017
Miss/Teen California USA
Miss/Teen Pennsylvania USA

Dec 14-17, 2017
Miss/Teen Florida USA

Dec 16, 2017
Miss/Teen District of Columbia USA

Dec 16-17, 2017
Miss/Teen Oklahoma USA

Jan 5-6, 2018
Miss/Teen Connecticut USA
Miss Texas USA
Miss/Teen Utah USA

Jan 6-7, 2018
Miss/Teen Nebraska USA
Miss/Teen Nevada USA

Jan 13-14, 2018
Miss/Teen New York USA

Jan 26-28, 2018
Miss/Teen New Mexico USA

TO BE VERIFIED
Kentucky USA

Subject: Miss Universe pageant skipping Hawaii over the state of Blaisdell Arena

Author:
Pageant Fan from Hawaii
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:05:02 07/28/17 Fri

Hawaii News

Miss Universe pageant skipping Hawaii over the state of Blaisdell arena
By Allison Schaefers
July 28, 2017

STAR-ADVERTISER

“We need to be world class. We don’t want to lose opportunities. The pageant is held in over 190 countries worldwide and is seen by more than half a billion people annually. It would have provided a good opportunity to showcase Hawaii to an international audience.”

Sherry Menor-McNamara

President and CEO, Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii

Efforts to bring the Miss Universe pageant to Honolulu this year — the 20th anniversary of when Hawaii’s Brook Lee was crowned — ended this week after pageant officials determined that the Neal S. Blaisdell Arena did not meet the event’s structural requirements.

Lee, who became the only Native Hawaiian to wear the crown when she won the 1997 pageant, had been working with a host committee to bring the event to Honolulu for a second time. Hawaii paid $3.3 million to host the 1998 pageant, which was then owned by President Donald Trump, to capitalize on the publicity generated from Lee crowning her successor in her home state.

City Enterprise Services Director Guy Kaulukukui said the department was contacted by Miss Universe representatives in May and had been working closely with “the pageant’s local and national representatives to accommodate their needs for the event and the days leading up to the actual show.”

ADVERTISING

The city had arranged for the pageant to use the arena for two weeks and the concert hall for one week in November, Kaulukukui said. But in recent days pageant organizers told the city that they were no longer considering the arena or Honolulu, he said.

Miss Universe officials did not return a call or an email from the Honolulu Star-Advertiser; however, its website says competition sites are selected based on “city infrastructure and capabilities of the venue for production.”

Miss Universe has not announced its 2017 venue; however, according to news reports, earlier contenders included Australia, the Philippines and Las Vegas.

“It was determined by the pageant that the arena’s structural capacity for suspending overhead equipment above the stage area was insufficient for the show’s needs,” Kaulukukui said. “However, arena weight capacity has not been a limiting factor for shows staged in that venue over recent years, for example Bruno Mars, WWE, Diana Ross, Janet Jackson, Garth Brooks, Mariah Carey and more.”

Lee said Thursday that there were enough financial commitments to bring the event to Hawaii; however, the most recent global structural engineering analysis that the city could provide was from 1994. Paula Shugart, president of The Miss Universe Organization, sent an email to the Hawaii Tourism Authority on Wednesday saying that she was disappointed that the event could not be held in Hawaii and expressing concern about Blaisdell Arena.

“Our key rigger was sent to Hawaii this past Monday and his report yesterday was not favorable. He had serious cause for concern in the facility being able to structurally accommodate a show of our size. He could not in his professional capacity, sign off on the facility and in fact, indicated that there do not appear to be any up-to-date structural plans in existence,” Shugart said in the email, which has been widely circulated in political circles.

The Stan Sheriff Center, the only other site big enough for the event, was already unavailable for the pageant’s November dates, so the Blaisdell issue “brought everything to a halt,” said Rick Fried, HTA board chairman.

Fried told the Star-Advertiser that HTA had met multiple times with pageant organizers this year. The agency was awaiting additional information when it was informed that the pageant was ending negotiations, he said.

“I think this is an unusual requirement that’s peculiar to Miss Universe and their rigging needs,” Fried said.

According to news accounts, the pageant’s 1998 prime-time show was a circuslike extravaganza that relied on major set construction, specialized rigging and advanced technology. It transformed half of the floor of Stan Sheriff Center on the University of Hawaii-Manoa campus into a miniature island with blue sea and rotating coral sand mountains. Scenic images of Hawaii were projected on 16-foot screens as “sailing warriors” swayed back and forth at angles made possible by special harnessing.

Fried said he hopes the pageant will consider Hawaii for next year, but also hoped organizers would start the process earlier.

Sherry Menor-McNamara, president and CEO of the Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii, said venues across Hawaii must realize the importance of conducting regular safety and standards checks.

“We need to be world class. We don’t want to lose opportunities,” Menor-McNamara said. “The pageant is held in over 190 countries worldwide and is seen by more than half a billion people annually. It would have provided a good opportunity to showcase Hawaii to an international audience.”

If the pageant had been held at the arena, Kaulukukui said, the Miss Universe group would have paid rent, and food concessions would have been open.

The Blaisdell Arena issue comes just six months after the city released a new master plan for Blaisdell Center calling for the arena and concert hall to be renovated and a new exhibition hall to replace the existing one. The city’s website says most center facilities were built in 1964, so they are “facing increasing maintenance and renovation needs and were not designed to meet the demands of today’s users.”

“These facilities mean so much to so many people and bring back cherished memories, whether it’s the Elvis concert, graduations or sporting events. We look forward to improving the Blaisdell for many more generations of Hawaii residents,” Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell said in a statement.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: :-(

Author:
Ugh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:02:45 08/06/17 Sun

For the love of God, can we please get rid of Deshauna and Karlie on the top of the main page? I can understand Miss Teen USA not being changed yet but Kara has been Miss USA for nearly 3 months now. I don't know why this board even exists anymore. It either needs to be deleted for good or at least consider new options and let some new people take over it.

Subject: A lot of these pageant girls aren't pretty.

Author:
Snarky Sylvia
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:12:59 08/06/17 Sun

Having seen the new Miss USA recently I was very under impressed. I was with a former model who was 34 years old. She looked younger and miles prettier than Miss USA. So what gives? I remember when Miss USA was supposed to represent the most beautiful girl in the USA. Now she's not the prettiest girl waiting for the light to change in New York City!

Replies:
Subject: SICK OF STUPIDITY OF SAYING A PAGEANT IS FIXED.

Author:
pageant pearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:03:17 08/03/17 Thu

To fix a pageant you would need to have several things work in your favor.

1. Judges who would know to keep their mouths shut
2. Realizing that the accounting firm is perhaps one of the finest in the world, and anything that would mess with that isn't worth the price of tea in China.
3. Knowing that finding the information out would all but kill the pageant then and there.

So if anyone is willing to think that a major company like the one that owns Miss USA/Universe would risk all of that just to get a winner they like is perhaps one of the stupidest people on the planet.

I'm tired of reading this or that pageant was FIXED. In the meantime I will continue praying for a society that doesn't think with one collective brain cell.

Replies:
Subject: What would it take to make you think the pageants are not fixed?

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:34:07 08/05/17 Sat

After every pageant these days, there are people screaming that it was fixed and the winner was determined beforehand. (I guess that has always been the case, but it does seem worse over the past few years.)

So my question is, what could/should MUO do to make you feel confident that the results are legit?

I think three things would help:
1) Have a bigger and more diverse panel of judges.
2) Explain exactly how the judging/scoring works.
3) Show scores, or release them afterwards.

I doubt any of these changes will actually be done, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Replies:
Subject: if anyone is interested 2 miss teen usa program books are listed on ebay

Author:
betty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:16:35 08/04/17 Fri

Replies:
Subject: My Miss Teen USA review

Author:
Glitzy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:59:44 08/01/17 Tue

The opening was much better than Miss USA. I liked having the girls introduce themselves instead of walking for 2 seconds like Miss USA.

The hosts were terrible. Please MUO do not get them to come back. Ernst & Lung? Since when did California become a town? Ugh! Bring back Erin Brady or even have Katherine Haik host.

The top 15 was decent. But I had Pennsylvania, Mississippi, and South Carolina in there. I didn't understand Indiana and Maryland placing. Seriously, booing a teenager? Even though NY wasn't in my top 15 no teen should have to be booed by some jerk. So disgusting that pageant fans can be so cruel.

I have no problem with fitness wear if the contestants are at least wearing something similar. How to judge someone the same if one is wearing shorts and the other looks like she is ready to go jogging in 50 degree weather? It doesn't seem fair if they are all not wearing something similar.

My favorite gown was Nevada. I thought the gown was perfect for her. I also liked Missouri's gown too. New York's gown was more Miss looking to me. I wasn't a fan of it. California's gown was nice too. Yellow looked perfect on her.

I was surprised a little with the top 5. I don't know how Texas and Arizona failed to place. I had them as the top 2 after swimsuit and gown. They both killed it. It is hard not to think they didn't place because of last years blonde top 5. I had them in instead of Oregon and Indiana. Vermont was also someone I would have liked to see in top 5. How cool is it that VT has placed 3 years in a row now after that long hiatus between 1993 and 2015. Keep up the good work VT and you will soon have another Miss Teen USA.

After the top 5 questions I had Missouri winning with California as first runner up. I was shocked she got 4th runner up. I don't think she came across as not being humble but rather personalizing her answer which is what Shandi and Susie trained her to do.

Overall I liked the pageant better than Miss USA and Miss Universe because we had a top 15, no groups of threes coming out at once, and decent intros.

Grade: B

Replies:
Subject: In any given pageant, whom do you prefer to win?

Author:
Just curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:05:10 07/28/17 Fri

1) A "put together" pageant pro with stage presence, perfect walk etc. - and an average face

2) A true facial beauty, but she's a newbie who doesn't know how to sell herself on stage

Replies:
Subject: 35th Miss Teen USA

Author:
Anon-ie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:41:30 08/01/17 Tue

Honestly since Miss USA my interest has waned in the pageants, but was there any acknowledgement that this was the 35th Miss Teen USA pageant? Any montage or commemoration of former winners or memorable moments? No, I have not watched the pageant yet, just brief clips.

Can you believe this was the 10th Miss Teen USA not televised?! I think many didn't think it would last 1-2 years not on broadcast television, but here we are a decade later and it's still going, maybe not ideal or how most want it to be, but Miss Teen USA, still around.

Replies:
Subject: Since the board was apparently having issues. I'll start this off. Miss Teen USA 2017 finals thread? What did you think?

Author:
:)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:31:50 08/01/17 Tue

Miss Teen USA 2017 is Missouri, Sophia Dominguez-Heithoff!!!
1RU Oregon, Vanessa Matheson
2RU Nevada, Alexis Smith
3RU Indiana, Paige Robinson
4RU California, Jaanu Patel

Top 15
•Texas, Kirby Lindley
•Maryland, Taylor Spruill
•West Virginia, Olivia Hutchinson
•Oklahoma, Baylee Ogle
•Utah, Rachel Bell
•Wyoming, Autumn Schieferstein
•New York, Isabella Griffith
•Iowa, Carley Arnold
•Vermont, Kelsey Golonka
•Arizona, Karly Riggs

•••••••••••••••••••

Replies:
Subject: Nevada Teen look alike

Author:
curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:53:26 08/01/17 Tue

Did she remind anyone of Miss Teen USA 1991 Janel Bishop??

Replies:
Subject: Thoughts on Miss Teen USA 2017

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:26:21 08/01/17 Tue

Format
I loved having the whole pageant in 90 minutes. No filler (except that one awful musical performance), no heart-tugging videos after each announcement in the Top 15, and more time devoted to each contestant in active wear and evening gown. The USA and Universe pageants lately have felt stretched out *and* rushed (stretched out in the unimportant parts, rushed were it matters most) and I wish they'd use the simpler format of Miss Teen USA.

Top 15
I thought this was a very strong group. The only big surprises for me were New York and Utah, and I ended up thinking Utah was adorable. I was surprised that Alabama, South Carolina, and North Carolina missed the cut.

Top 5
This also seemed like a strong group, although I was not a fan of California. When they called the Top 5, I was expecting Nevada to win, but I wonder if her ballpark resemblance to Miss USA worked against her. I loved Oregon all along and was hoping she would win, but I think Missouri is a good choice. She reminds me a lot of Katherine Haik.

Replies:
Subject: California Girls Competing at MISS NEVADA USA 2018

Author:
MISS NV USA 2018
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:41:32 06/14/17 Wed

The Following Girls from MISS CA USA have switched to NEVADA:

Catherine Waters (1st runner 2016-2017)
Emily Delgado (NF 2017)

Both of these women will compete for the title of MISS NV USA 2018

Replies:
Subject: MISS TEEN USA- PICKS AND PANS

Author:
pageant pearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:12:44 07/29/17 Sat

Many lovely girls, but few true, blue stand-outs. If I had to pick a TOP 5 they would be:

Mississippi
Missouri
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Vermont

Honorable mentions:

Arizona
Arkansas
Wyoming

SPECIAL AWARDS:

Looks 30 Award: Florida
Highly Overrated Award- California
Burn the Dress Award- Wisconsin
Hair in Light Socket Award- Nevada

If I had to pick a winner just for beauty that would be:
MISSOURI

Replies:
Subject: TOP TEENS for TEEN USA!

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:31:49 07/23/17 Sun

Once again, we have very strong Teen contestants competing for the title of Teen USA this year. I think the big underlying question is how will the new IMG regime affect the outcome of the pageant. Personally I hope the leave Teen alone. I think we should still be looking for a beautiful, all-American, naturally gorgeous, girl next door. Of course I'm all about philanthropy and community engagement at the Teen level. We shall see.

My Top 16 Teens right now are:

NEVADA
CALIFORNIA
SOUTH CAROLINA
ARIZONA
LOUISIANA

ARKANSAS
TEXAS
HAWAII
NORTH CAROLINA
OHIO

ALABAMA
UTAH
WASHINGTON
FLORIDA
IOWA
PENNSYLVANIA

Last edited by author: Sun July 23, 2017 12:33:46   Edited 1 time.

Replies:
Subject: Miss Texas USA contestant photos are up

Author:
TX
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:13:31 07/26/17 Wed

Danielle Doty is competing. I did not see that coming.

Replies:
Subject: My thoughts on last night.....

Author:
No Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:27:47 07/29/17 Sat

First off, I HATE the active wear competition, so I will not even comment on that. When people are dressed that way it makes me think of sweat, sweat =smelly, and I don't like my beauty queens to be sweaty or smelly. So enough about that. Now on to evening gown.....
To be clear, all of these girls are most attractive, otherwise, they wouldn't be there. My comments are only directed towards their gowns, which we all know can be changed. I call this "Frock Faults."
One question....what is up with these BIG dresses?
Both CO (Beautiful girl) and OK (Drop dead gorgeous) were the biggest offenders. It looked as if CO had dragged both the drapes and comforter from her hotel room. OK, fantastic color, but that huge hump of fabric on the side needed to go. It literally seemed to have a life of its own. I thought she was smuggling in a small child.
NY seemed to want to exercise a little side nakedness. Not good for a teen pageant. TN is very pretty, loved her gown, but did not care for her hairstyle. She looked as if she could break into an updated version of "I've Written a Letter to Daddy" at any moment.(Con't.)

Replies:
Subject: Miss Universe pageant skipping Hawaii over the state of Blaisdell arena (Honolulu Star-Advertiser)

Author:
BarbieQ!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:04:16 07/28/17 Fri

By Allison Schaefers
July 28, 2017

STAR-ADVERTISER (http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/07/28/hawaii-news/miss-universe-pageant-skipping-hawaii-over-the-state-of-blaisdell-arena/?HSA=3cbfd3d39da4af659413259dab0b9fc7b9e16e00)

“We need to be world class. We don’t want to lose opportunities. The pageant is held in over 190 countries worldwide and is seen by more than half a billion people annually. It would have provided a good opportunity to showcase Hawaii to an international audience.”

Sherry Menor-McNamara

President and CEO, Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii

Efforts to bring the Miss Universe pageant to Honolulu this year — the 20th anniversary of when Hawaii’s Brook Lee was crowned — ended this week after pageant officials determined that the Neal S. Blaisdell Arena did not meet the event’s structural requirements.

Lee, who became the only Native Hawaiian to wear the crown when she won the 1997 pageant, had been working with a host committee to bring the event to Honolulu for a second time. Hawaii paid $3.3 million to host the 1998 pageant, which was then owned by President Donald Trump, to capitalize on the publicity generated from Lee crowning her successor in her home state.

City Enterprise Services Director Guy Kaulukukui said the department was contacted by Miss Universe representatives in May and had been working closely with “the pageant’s local and national representatives to accommodate their needs for the event and the days leading up to the actual show.”

The city had arranged for the pageant to use the arena for two weeks and the concert hall for one week in November, Kaulukukui said. But in recent days pageant organizers told the city that they were no longer considering the arena or Honolulu, he said.

Miss Universe officials did not return a call or an email from the Honolulu Star-Advertiser; however, its website says competition sites are selected based on “city infrastructure and capabilities of the venue for production.”

Miss Universe has not announced its 2017 venue; however, according to news reports, earlier contenders included Australia, the Philippines and Las Vegas.

“It was determined by the pageant that the arena’s structural capacity for suspending overhead equipment above the stage area was insufficient for the show’s needs,” Kaulukukui said. “However, arena weight capacity has not been a limiting factor for shows staged in that venue over recent years, for example Bruno Mars, WWE, Diana Ross, Janet Jackson, Garth Brooks, Mariah Carey and more.”

Lee said Thursday that there were enough financial commitments to bring the event to Hawaii; however, the most recent global structural engineering analysis that the city could provide was from 1994. Paula Shugart, president of The Miss Universe Organization, sent an email to the Hawaii Tourism Authority on Wednesday saying that she was disappointed that the event could not be held in Hawaii and expressing concern about Blaisdell Arena.

“Our key rigger was sent to Hawaii this past Monday and his report yesterday was not favorable. He had serious cause for concern in the facility being able to structurally accommodate a show of our size. He could not in his professional capacity, sign off on the facility and in fact, indicated that there do not appear to be any up-to-date structural plans in existence,” Shugart said in the email, which has been widely circulated in political circles.

The Stan Sheriff Center, the only other site big enough for the event, was already unavailable for the pageant’s November dates, so the Blaisdell issue “brought everything to a halt,” said Rick Fried, HTA board chairman.

Fried told the Star-Advertiser that HTA had met multiple times with pageant organizers this year. The agency was awaiting additional information when it was informed that the pageant was ending negotiations, he said.

“I think this is an unusual requirement that’s peculiar to Miss Universe and their rigging needs,” Fried said.

According to news accounts, the pageant’s 1998 prime-time show was a circuslike extravaganza that relied on major set construction, specialized rigging and advanced technology. It transformed half of the floor of Stan Sheriff Center on the University of Hawaii-Manoa campus into a miniature island with blue sea and rotating coral sand mountains. Scenic images of Hawaii were projected on 16-foot screens as “sailing warriors” swayed back and forth at angles made possible by special harnessing.

Fried said he hopes the pageant will consider Hawaii for next year, but also hoped organizers would start the process earlier.

Sherry Menor-McNamara, president and CEO of the Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii, said venues across Hawaii must realize the importance of conducting regular safety and standards checks.

“We need to be world class. We don’t want to lose opportunities,” Menor-McNamara said. “The pageant is held in over 190 countries worldwide and is seen by more than half a billion people annually. It would have provided a good opportunity to showcase Hawaii to an international audience.”

If the pageant had been held at the arena, Kaulukukui said, the Miss Universe group would have paid rent, and food concessions would have been open.

The Blaisdell Arena issue comes just six months after the city released a new master plan for Blaisdell Center calling for the arena and concert hall to be renovated and a new exhibition hall to replace the existing one. The city’s website says most center facilities were built in 1964, so they are “facing increasing maintenance and renovation needs and were not designed to meet the demands of today’s users.”

“These facilities mean so much to so many people and bring back cherished memories, whether it’s the Elvis concert, graduations or sporting events. We look forward to improving the Blaisdell for many more generations of Hawaii residents,” Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell said in a statement.

Replies:
Subject: Why hasn't someone changed the picture on the header yet????

Author:
No Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:37:38 07/29/17 Sat

Subject: LOVEgggg

Author:
HIM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:32:01 07/29/17 Sat

Your winner.

Subject: MISS TEEN USA PRELIMINARY

Author:
malinda g.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:19:58 07/28/17 Fri

Just not the same without the bikini's and stiletto's. Now they look like field hands getting ready to plow the land.

Replies:
Subject: MISS TEEN USA IS MISSOURI, Sophie Dominguez Heithoff!!!!!!

Author:
:)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:26:20 07/29/17 Sat

1RU: OR
2RU: NV
3RU: IN
4RU: CA

Subject: My top 15 in alphabetical order:

Author:
gAgA_x
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:57:20 07/29/17 Sat

ALABAMA
ARIZONA
CALIFORNIA
HAWAII
IOWA

MISSOURI
NEW MEXICO
NORTH CAROLINA
OKLAHOMA
PENNSYLVANIA

SOUTH CAROLINA
TENNESSEE
TEXAS
VERMONT
WYOMING

CLOSE:

GEORGIA
INDIANA
LOUISIANA
NEW YORK

Replies:
Subject: My TOP 5

Author:
Opinions
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:01:09 07/29/17 Sat

Texas
Wyoming
Iowa
California

With a tie for fifth spot between : NY , AZ, MO

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.