VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Does anyone care anymore? Olivia Jordan won USA while living in California and nobody saw a problem.

Author:
Only Nia took the sh*t because she didn't have any relatives in Nevada. It's no longer "residency requirement", it's "being able to submit some papers" requirement.
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 05:15:50 03/16/17 Thu
In reply to: Spectator 's message, "There's allegations/whispers" on 14:28:27 03/15/17 Wed

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: LAWWWWWD, y'all! It's plainly evident that MUO has pretty loose residency requirements, and that's THEIR CALL because they own and run the organization. These ladies aren't running for Congress; they're competing for a crown and sash and a chance to win Miss USA. As long as contestants meet the standards set by the people who run Miss USA, then WHO. CARES. It's not our call.

Author:
BamaMan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:30:40 03/16/17 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Agree. These continuous arguments over residency are so tired. If you have a valid claim, take it up with MUO. But if the girls fall within the residency requirements, and you are just cranky because you disagree with MUO on residency, its time for you to move on.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:31:41 03/16/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: MUO should seriously give up on the residency "requirement". After they allowed Nia and Olivia to keep their crowns, it's just ridiculous to "require" anything in this respect.

Author:
A simple declaration would be OK - "I want to represent Oklahoma at Miss USA, because I have family there" / "I want to represent Nevada, because I've been to Vegas once and I had a lot of fun". Would be fair, no?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:25:05 03/16/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: I disagree. I think there needs to be actual state representation, however loosely that may be applied through residency requirements. However, I'm not totally opposed to "at large" contestants either. Similar to Miss 52 last year.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:31:36 03/16/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: MUO does not believe in rules. Too scared of being sued. FYI if you don't win.

Author:
take it to court. look at Florida
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:41:58 03/16/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yeah, but they can have state representation WITHOUT pretending that you have to reside in the state to represent it. Like Olivia Jordan - you reside in La La Land, but you choose to represent Oklahoma, because the state pageant is easier and you used to live there.

Author:
It's not an issue whatsoever to establish some paper trail, so they can just say it's OK to repesent you home state / favorite state / whatever state. Why pretend you have to reside there when they really don't care?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:42:48 03/16/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I agree. I don't understand the defensiveness over the loose residency requirements. It's not fooling anyone. You'd think directors would want easier standards as the number of statehoppers would likely be higher.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:04:54 03/16/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Well I know if I was competing I would rather a girl at least have some sort of ties to the state she is representing. (I think I remember Olivia Jordan was from Oklahoma and went to college there?). I dont like the idea, for example, of a girl being from Louisiana and competing in Oregon with absolutely zero affiliation there. So I would rather play the residency requirement game to at least have the perception of representation.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:25:27 03/16/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I'm with you on this. The state title comes with state appearances. Wouldn't you want someone who had some connection to the state? My daughter will jump ship and compete her final year as a teen in the state she will be going to college. She will spend more time there over the next four years than she will at home and she has other connections to that state. If not she'd still be competing for her home title.

Author:
Why have state titles if they aren't legit, why not have names?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:49:52 03/16/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: State appearances?? Olivia Jordan again. She was born in Oklahoma, but no, she didn't go to college there. She moved out of OK when she was 18 and won the state title when she was 25. Seven years later! She never bothered about any state appearances. Appearances are not obligatory, are they? If MUO thinks it's OK for OJo to represent Oklahoma, because she had graduated from high shool there seven years earlier - fine with me.

Author:
Just call it "connection to the state requirement". It's not residency requirement if you can reside in LA and be fine.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:28:08 03/17/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I agree. I think MUO is striking a balance between traditional state representation and creating opportunities for the best girls to advance to Miss USA. If you don't like it, then don't compete in their pageant system. Their pageant; they set the rules.

Author:
BamaMan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:28:20 03/17/17 Fri

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.