VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: I just thought I would like to share a bit about myself with the USB world.... I usually keep to myself but this is me (gaj).... also competing for Mister USB 2017

Author:
gaj (not signed in)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:02:45 03/20/17 Mon

I realized that I really haven't told many of you about myself.... so sit back and get the popcorn....

July 15, 1969…. NASA sent Apollo 11 to the moon and for a moment, the world stopped for a moment and Jason arrived at 5:20 am in Calgary, Canada the son of William and Jean Smith and younger brother of Jeff Smith. The day that I was released from the hospital with my mom Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. “One Small Step For Man…. One Giant Leap For Humanity” he was quoted to say. I would like to think that if he knew…. He would have said “The Jason has landed”. 4 days later Gloria Diaz would be crowned Miss Universe 1969 and a love affair with pageant would begin.

Some may not believe this but one of my only memories as a toddler was remembering my mom and brother laughing while we were watching TV in our townhouse in Calgary…. I vividly remember them laughing and saying “her crown fell off”…. I may have been a toddler but I remember a pink dress…. Years later when I got to see some crowning moments of Miss America I realized we had been watching Phyllis George being crowned Miss America 1971.

Shortly after that, we moved to Spruce Grove, Alberta (just outside of Edmonton, Canada). As many Canadians we used to watch Miss Canada and Miss Teen Canada and in 1975 my hometown of Edmonton won the Miss Canada crown. I was then mesmerized by this world and would never look back.

Growing up was a bit awkward….. trying to fit in, I tried to explain why Miss Saskatoon beat Miss Montreal to a bunch of second graders. Needless to say, I was bullied a lot…. It was the 1970s and try to explain your understanding of the evening gown promenade of the Miss Canada Pageant. I had a small group of friends but was tormented all through elementary, junior high and part of High School. I really didn’t come into my own until my last year and a half of high school. Even my family still doesn’t understand my passion for this world but they now accept it and are happy for all of the exciting things that have happened to me.

I thought that I was the only one with this interest, so imagine my joy when I found the internet and other pageant fans… I realized that there was an entire world of us. I can truly and honestly say that my closest friends in the world I have met through the pageant world. In fact, my best friend came out of the message boards and attending Miss USA. I was even a groomsman in his wedding. I am beyond thankful for the relationships that the pageant world and the message boards have provided me! I don’t feel alone any longer! Who would have thought all those years ago that Shanna Moakler would become one of the most special people in my life as well!

I graduated from The University Of Calgary with a major in Canadian Studies specializing in Communications and minoring in Asian Studies. When I got out of University I sold shoes (worst job ever) at a department store before starting my career. I now work in the Financial Industry as a Client Relationship Manager for major corporate pension plans. On the side…. I help out and am Creative Director for the Miss Nevada USA Pageant and have had the opportunity now to work with MUO as a researcher alongside my best friend Travis and got to travel to The Philippines this past January. Talk about a bucket list dream come true! I have judged several state pageants and my palms are always clammy when I submit my final ballot.

In my personal life I live now in Vancouver Canada and have for 19 years. I am an avid walker, golfer, tennis player, I enjoy gourmet cooking, travelling, reading, going to Disneyland, roller blading, skiing and spending time with my family. I am a classically trained pianist and studied for several years. I am very very close to my parents, brother, sister in law and niece and nephews (and assorted animals!)…. Yup, I am a momma’s boy. I wear glasses and have just decided to stop colouring my hair and try to be a “silver fox” LOL!

In 2011 I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I am not ashamed of it and speak openly about it. I am quite active with Bell Media’s “Let’s Talk” day supporting Mental Health Awareness. I have it fairly under control but every so often I have a tough day. I know how to deal with it much better these days though! I am not a sad person, just one that needs to look at situations a bit differently then some others.

All in all, what I would like everyone to know about me is that the pageant world is a long time love of mine. I have been around since the beginning of the message boards and every so often even though I may need to take a break…. I will always support them and the people that add valuable information and become friends. I may not come into this contest with youth on my side…. But I come with my commitment, love and passion for this world! I am also a nice (but shy until you get to know me) guy… I hope I get to meet many more of you over the years!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Thanks Jason! I like that you lived in a town called Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada. And the next time I see you, I would like to know all about Miss Saskatoon beating Miss Montreal. Sounds like a very compelling story! :)

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:18:34 03/20/17 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Saskatoon is my favorite name for a city. For some reason, it stuck in my head after I visited the Canada Pavilion at Epcot as a child. We "flew" through Canada on video and Saskatoon was featured.

Author:
BamaMan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:52:11 03/20/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: I didn't put it in there but I actually lived in Saskatoon for 10 months in the early 1990s. It is actually quite a nice city.... except when it is -40!

Author:
gaj (not signed in)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:25:40 03/20/17 Mon

[> Subject: Wow, gaj, this was great! It was nice getting to know you. We have a lot in common, growing up in the same era and all. Thanks for the bio...it really helps me in the voting proccess.

Author:
answered all my questions!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:52:57 03/20/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: thank you for your comment! I really appreciate it!

Author:
gaj (not signed in)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:23:01 03/20/17 Mon

[> Subject: So interesting learning more about you. You're such a genuine person and kudos to you for being able to open up and share more about your life with us. I really hope you win!!

Author:
lipbalm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:12:48 03/21/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Oh my

Author:
B.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:31:53 04/21/17 Fri

Z

[> Subject: I just wanted to bump this one time for people that might not have seen this and gotten to know a bit more about me.

Author:
gaj (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:00:58 03/28/17 Tue

[> Subject: You got my vote!

Author:
Sheesh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:18:46 03/28/17 Tue

😊

[> [> Subject: Ditto! :)

Author:
MoNkayMaN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:24:19 03/29/17 Wed

[> Subject: I SERIOUSLY plan on attending Miss USA 2017. I'd love to meet you! Will you be there?

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:17:57 03/28/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: I am hoping so!!!!

Author:
gaj
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:59:56 03/28/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Haha Groove, you better! It's in OHIOO! Unfortunately with it being on Mother's Day, I'm instead attending my nephew's university graduation on the same date.

Author:
Former
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:19:00 03/29/17 Wed

Haha Groove, you better! It's in OHIOO! Unfortunately with it being on Mother's Day, I'm instead attending my nephew's university graduation on the same date.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.