VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Meh, I don't know. Duke has won 3 times between Dalton the First and now, and yet NC hasn't gotten all that close those years at all. I don't see any causation at all between UNC (or Duke or NC State for that matter) in the NCAA tourney and Miss NC at Miss USA....just a fun correlation factoid :) Duke won in 2015 and we all saw how Dalton the Third did, as she had everything going for her. I love Coble. I really do. I loveddddd her as a teen, but her stage presence has floundered in the past several years (which would explain her annual runner-up-ship in RPM). I hope she wins or is close, but she can't coast to the Top 5 off of her beauty alone, which is what I'm afraid of. I've followed her for years and I don't think she has any story either. I HATE that stories matter now, but the powers that be have decided they do, so.....KATIE! I IMPLORE YOU. GO SAVE A CHILD FROM A BURNING BUILDING....like as soon as possible. Or doctor photos of you and say you were a fat kid.

Author:
Former
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:43:33 04/05/17 Wed
In reply to: TarHeel 's message, "North Carolina" on 00:38:19 04/05/17 Wed

Meh, I don't know. Duke has won 3 times between Dalton the First and now, and yet NC hasn't gotten all that close those years at all. I don't see any causation at all between UNC (or Duke or NC State for that matter) in the NCAA tourney and Miss NC at Miss USA....just a fun correlation factoid :) Duke won in 2015 and we all saw how Dalton the Third did, as she had everything going for her. I love Coble. I really do. I loveddddd her as a teen, but her stage presence has floundered in the past several years (which would explain her annual runner-up-ship in RPM). I hope she wins or is close, but she can't coast to the Top 5 off of her beauty alone, which is what I'm afraid of. I've followed her for years and I don't think she has any story either. I HATE that stories matter now, but the powers that be have decided they do, so.....KATIE! I IMPLORE YOU. GO SAVE A CHILD FROM A BURNING BUILDING....like as soon as possible. Or doctor photos of you and say you were a fat kid.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Do you really think they need a story? What makes you believe that?

Author:
LadyBug
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:10:57 04/05/17 Wed

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Deshauna Barber

Author:
we all should know that LOL. Nonetheless, I'm still hoping NC wins
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:21:04 04/05/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Exactly. I know I'll get major flack for this, but it's the truth. Deshauna is a wonderful girl. She's a hard worker. But so is basically every other contestant. Everyone on this board (and on FB when the board went down) was flabbergasted by who made the Top 15 last year and who didn't. It was a free-for-all, basically. I'm happy she's Miss USA, because she's a lovely girl. But it was her story that got her that crown. Plain and simple. For someone who was left clapping to Lizzy Olsen (Miss DC USA 2015, who did zip at USA) to then win the whole thing in 2016 and be Top 9 at Universe. Gurllll, that's crazy talk. The amount of media camera time she got at USA and at Universe speaks volumes. It's not a beauty pageant anymore. And stories matter now. For better or for worse.

Author:
Former
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:48:48 04/05/17 Wed

Exactly. I know I'll get major flack for this, but it's the truth. Deshauna is a wonderful girl. She's a hard worker. But so is basically every other contestant. Everyone on this board (and on FB when the board went down) was flabbergasted by who made the Top 15 last year and who didn't. It was a free-for-all, basically. I'm happy she's Miss USA, because she's a lovely girl. But it was her story that got her that crown. Plain and simple. For someone who was left clapping to Lizzy Olsen (Miss DC USA 2015, who did zip at USA) to then win the whole thing in 2016 and be Top 9 at Universe. Gurllll, that's crazy talk. The amount of media camera time she got at USA and at Universe speaks volumes. It's not a beauty pageant anymore. And stories matter now. For better or for worse.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Dont forget that the pretty Muslim girl that competed and lost got a huge modeling contract with IMG and they have been pushing her bigtime on the Miss Universe/USA website. I've been following all of the girls on instagram and snapchat,. If that's the case...watch out for New Jersey. She's articulate and got this whole diversity story so down with her Indian roots. If she takes it, kiss this system goodbye, it's a shitshow.

Author:
LadyBug
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:02:17 04/05/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I can't speak to her situation, because I've never seen her compete on stage, so I have no idea if she's got that "beauty pageant factor" or not. But beauty-wise, she's S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G. So I'm happy for her modeling contract because it seems well-deserved, story or not. But yeah, overall, the MUO/IMG org is basically a "who's got the most marketable story and isn't completely unfortunate looking" competition. ***sad face***

Author:
Former
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:41:30 04/05/17 Wed

I can't speak to her situation, because I've never seen her compete on stage, so I have no idea if she's got that "beauty pageant factor" or not. But beauty-wise, she's S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G. So I'm happy for her modeling contract because it seems well-deserved, story or not. But yeah, overall, the MUO/IMG org is basically a "who's got the most marketable story and isn't completely unfortunate looking" competition. ***sad face***

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I watch it on my computer, she was fabulous. But in fairness to the other contestants, she really couldn't and shouldn't have won because they couldn't score her with a burkini on which covered her entire body. They couldn't determ8ne her fitness or proportions. Yes, she is stunning and is so classy gorgeous in the runway shows. As for New Jersey,...to each is own...not for me personally, though she has very pretty eyes. I just anticipate another looking as Miss USA material.

Author:
LadyBug
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:00:08 04/05/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Woud someone please tell me what Miss Frances story was because I seem to have missed it.

Author:
Tiki-Java
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:42:47 04/05/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Hence, why I asked the question. It doesn't make sense to hold two different standards for each pageant.

Author:
LadyBug
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:27:18 04/07/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Oh my

Author:
G
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:58:24 04/19/17 Wed

H

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: You should know better than to compare previous performances to current. That happens all the time. You lose to a person who wins then you go onto win the whole thing. That literally happens all the time (Crystle, Alyssa, Oliva, etc.) so why point out Deshauna for it.

Author:
miss usa fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:30:39 04/06/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Click in :)

Author:
Former
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:07:13 04/06/17 Thu

@miss usa fan, Yes! While I would almost always agree with that argument, we are met with an exception to the rule on these facts. (The exception being the result of IMG searching for a marketable story). Every girl you mentioned was already a high profile pageant "force to be reckoned with" veteran before they even won their state. They didn't come out of left field by any stretch of the imagination. Crystle was 1st RU to Miss TX USA how many times? I think 2? Hot damn that's amazing. And was 3rd RU a time before that. A semi finalist a time or two I think. That girl was always killing it in one of the most competitive states, where there are a zillion top of the line contestants. Alyssa had been 1st RU to Teen USA in 2007...which many consider to be the most impressive year of teens ever, and had been personally mentored by Fadil between those years. And Olivia was 1st RU in CA on her first try. While CA isn't as competitive as TX imho, it still ain't no joke and it likewise has a laundry list of top of the line contestants. Contrast that with Deshauna's trajectory. She was never a top 5 finalist in VA 2010, VA 2014, or DC 2015....all very low grade to middle of the road states/districts to win. All with 25 or less contestants, most of whom never had a shot in hell. And then she wins it all the next year. Damn. Was it possible she won Miss USA without her story? It's possible, but not at all probable. I am happy she is Miss USA, because she's a lovely person. But if you think her story had nothing to do with it, then I don't know what to tell you. It's as clear as day.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Lizzy Olsen did not even make my last after her preliminary performance at Miss USA. Deshauna Barber did make my list after her preliminary performance at USA. Also, I did not know Barber's story yet but I did not know that she had stage presence which is why she made the final cut and Lizzy did not. Barber won USA because she was the best delegate that night according to the judges.

Author:
IanSebastin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:31:03 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: Beautifu Girl

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:30:46 04/19/17 Wed

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.