VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Miss Microbiologist, Dentist or Lawyer

Author:
social media addict
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 04:11:52 04/12/17 Wed

You remember how the Miss Universe Instagram account went on about how Miss Canada is at law school, Miss France is studying dentistry, Miss Whatever has a degree in theoretical physics, and so on and so forth?

How do you think such an approach will impact the chances of girls like Nevada, who didn't go to college at all?

Do you think IMG would still crown a girl who's barely graduated high school, or we're officially Miss America now?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: While their have been winners without a college education, it certainly helps. First off a young woman with a college education may just be a little more knowledgable on current affairs and have a more solid direction as to her career goals. In pageantry a college education is a plus.

Author:
pageant pearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:04:04 04/12/17 Wed

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Winners with no college education were Trump era.

Author:
Pre-IMG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:15:04 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: Oh,please- a girl who didnt know her own states Capital won USA and was 1st ru at Universe. MUO doesnt care at all.

Author:
fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:56:49 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Oh leave Nia alone. She was asked what the capital of Nevada was so clearly girlfriend didn't know. Now if she was asked what the capital of her home state was she would have easily answered Los Angeles!! Hahaha LOL.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:50:06 04/13/17 Thu

[> Subject: Did Deshauana go to College or was it her career in the Military that suggested she had substance? For me, substance, character and charisma is what is desirable. That doesn't require a college degree. However, they need to prove they got a great entrepreneurs gig to replace this for me. However, do you recall last year, MISS California is a model. She could have won too. So I don't think we can go by this. A platform and story comes in many ways, shapes and varieties. As for Nevada, sadly she lost me. Sweet girl but no substance.

Author:
LadyBug
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:06:10 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: She had a MASTERS DEGREE. Education matters.

Author:
Grad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:04:58 04/12/17 Wed

[> Subject: I dont think level of education has anything to do with how they sizzle on the pageant stage in a swimsuit and evening gown. In an interview, it can help them if they are articulate. But if it is a crutch, and just a talking point for them to tell the judges that they are smart, it could backfire too. Ultimately substance comes from within, and personal experiences. Not a piece of paper declaring you went to school.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:45:34 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: Before IMG, I would have agreed. But Miss Universe is a dental student and Miss USA has a graduate degree. IMG College is an important revenue stream that includes intellectual property, experiential and promotional assets, event signage, digital, tickets, hospitality, live event radio, and shoulder programming including coaches’ TV and radio shows - plus Licensing for 200 top schools. IMG College promoted Miss NC & Miss WA during the national championship game. Expect more of that synergy (like Miss AZ USA's tackle or Katherine Webb in the stands) going forward.

Author:
grad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:17:54 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Miss Haiti, Raquel Pelissier, is also a brainy professional, she's pursuing a Master’s degree in scientific research in optometry and vision and speaks four languages. I believe IMG is looking for bright and natural beauty now. How many times have we seen stunning beauties give awful answers and speeches and I guess IMO wants to change that image. Also, Iris and Raquel are 100% natural beauties, none of them have a single plastic surgery. Andrea did admit having a nose job.

Author:
Lyne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:00:34 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: I can tell you Iceman that I've heard from multiple sources that stage does not matter. and this is my belief why they changed the interview percentage.

Author:
South Star
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:59:48 04/12/17 Wed

[> Subject: Only fools haven't received IMG's message by now: have something more to talk about than being a crown chaser whose sole existence in life has revolved around her looks. That can be a sob story or job. They can't sell "look I'm not pretty enough to be a real model or talented enough to be a real actress but I can work my Sherri Hill and final look walk like nobody's busines!!! No one's buying that these days. I don't think not having a degree is fatal, but unfortunately in the pageant world those in that category usually are crown chasers just looking to cash in on their looks.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:25:25 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: ^^^This

Author:
Former
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:31:58 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: You're absolutely right!!!

Author:
Fan II
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:46:46 04/12/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: If this is true Nevada doesnt have a chance in hell

Author:
fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:46:03 04/16/17 Sun

[> [> Subject: Amen!!!!

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:39:18 04/19/17 Wed

[> Subject: It's a good question, and it will be interesting to see whether a pattern develops with IMG winners. I personally don't think a degree should be a litmus test for winning a pageant. A degree doesn't guarantee charisma and approachability.

Author:
BamaMan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:50:57 04/12/17 Wed

[> Subject: New Hampshire; very natural, little make up, very pretty & feminine features.

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:00:45 04/13/17 Thu

[> Subject: IMG has made it perfectly clear you will need a story and have a clear education/career path that is reflective of a modern woman. Merely being beautiful like Nevada wont be enough. IMG wants a USA representative with brains and depth and purpose and just being pretty wont cut it! With Trump we had a beauty pageant! With IMG we have a societal statement!

Author:
Deal with it!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:24:03 04/13/17 Thu

[> Subject: I'm not generally a big Nevada fan - their girl always tends to make it even when I don't think she has a shot in Hades - but I find myself sticking up for her here. I think IMG probably wants a young woman who has BUILT something, no matter what that is - maybe Nevada has a really impressive modeling/entertainment background? However, if any girl walks in and doesn't have much life experience to talk about, and doesn't relate to a large population of women - THAT is a problem to me, regardless of their degree.

Author:
FirmGrip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:46 04/13/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: IMG is picking up that sob stories feed to the low hanging fruit. Any pageant competitor can come up with fake tears over bullying, her NaNa, irritable bowel syndrome blah blah . They serve a purpose over girls who can only talk about competing as Miss Country Bumpkin since she was 8 or tried out to win Miss Blue State 7 years in a row. However Deshauna and Iris' wins highlight exactly what you said above---IMG wants someone who clearly has a life plan and has committed to it. They are going for uplifting and inspirational, accomplished but not necessarily a braniac. In any year, those ladies are maybe two handfuls worth of the group as you can't fabricate lifetimes like that with your coaches and teams. DT just wanted pretty trophy cheerleaders to look pretty but not talk while standing next to him (like poor Nia and Molly pouring water for him for that icebucket challenge---talk about degrading). Welcome change for sure.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:43:14 04/13/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: If this is the case, which I agree with you, then that means PA, NV, Minnesota, GA, and WV are out.

Author:
LadyBug
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:12:10 04/13/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: I wouldn't say they are out but I don't that they have anything to offer that IMG might want to sell. I don't know. I don't have much time to devote to pageants these days and silly Snaps and MUO's lack of exposure doesn't help that. I do know GA and IMG will likely want to milk her American Idol stint so she's got that going for her. What's PA's story because former bridesmaid now the bride? NV may make it in because of sash factor and whatever story Sxoxo helps her out with because that another-LA-model thing prolly will not help esp. since her modeling borders on trashy. What's Minnesota's deal. All I know of her is that people were discussing her fake/non-fake accent.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:53:47 04/13/17 Thu

[> Subject: I went to Miss Univer Website - Have you read it lately?

Author:
LadyBug
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:53:30 04/13/17 Thu

No where do they state the known typical beauty requirements we have come to know in past. Additionally, while we believe we know their mission, their newly written qualifications stated on their website are as follows: "SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO EXPRESS WHAT HER PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL GOALS WOULD BE DURING HER REIGN... "o.k., we all know that" THE WINNER MUST BE CONFIDENT ..."and we know that too"...SHE MUST UNDERSTAND THE VALUES OF OUR BRAND AND THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE TITLE. "this is the clunker --has anyone asked what the value of the brand is now since IMG purchased the pagent?... SHE MUST HAVE THE ABILITY TO ARTICULATE HER AMBITION. THE CONTESTANT SHOULD DEMONSTRATE AUTHENTICITY, CREDIBILITY, AND EXHIBIT GRACE UNDER PRESSURE. THE WOMEN WHO COMPETE, EMBODY THE MODERN, GLOBAL ASPIRATION FOR THE POTENTIAL WITHIN A WOMAN....(big key words: articulate = speak well in public settings and have presentation skills; have ambition = currently working towards a professional career goal; be authentic = stop the silly fake pageant patty crap and be yourself; credible = look intelligent and not just pretty; also "we will confirm what you write in your bio; Grace under pressure..."quick thinker and we don't have to worry that you'll say anything stupid", Modern = fashion forward so the young generation will love you and we can sell shit with you advertising products and brands; Global aspiration = able to think about things bigger than yourself and in a very, very liberal worldly way........... NOW FOR MY OPINION: The pageant hasn't anything to do with past traditional beauties that were selected based upon who's the prettiest or who's got the best body. They'd rather have an intellectually charismatic (7 in beauty) over a (10 in beauty with a hollow message about modeling and putting on make-up) any day. The whole fitness message is to mask that they keep the swimsuit portion of the competition. They're looking for poise but more personality within their speaking skills than anything. In my opinion, this is a personality and character competition which of course includes searching for the most pleasant to look at person that can model the NEW MISS UNIVERSE BRAND because women are more than a pleasant object to look at.

[> Subject: In Latin America, beauty pageants are only that.. BEAUTY pageants.. the prettiest wins, regardless of academic background or achievements. TV networks organize these pageants looking for new faces for their TV shows, movies, etc. So then this whole 'educational/story' thing is out of control. Let's get real: Women who are REALLY into education and empowering, stay AWAY from pageants. In fact, they loathe them. Miss Universe is ashamed of what they are and I guess they wanted to deviate away from Trump because of that, but it doesnt work

Author:
SO if they would just stop disguising the competition it would do better
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:46:33 04/13/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: For an expert on educated and empowered women, you sure know the message board address. Either way, you aren't empowering women by putting down those who enter Miss Universe. (Like the Geico Commerical: "That's not how this works....that's not how any of this works!"

Author:
FirmGrip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:28 04/13/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: HAHA so much saltiness. Go host you own Miss Banana Mundial Universe pageant then. IMG is an American owned pageant that wants to promote what its American owners want. LOL

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:56:26 04/13/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: I go by the pageant standard. If she ain't got the smarts,then she's a pageant fart.

Author:
Gassy Maloof
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:12:05 04/13/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: If life experiences and clear definition of your future career path are the way IMG is headed, a lot of girls who have been crown chasing this crown for years and are still in the mindset that taking risqué photos for a nonexistent modeling career have been throwing good money away for a very long time. Love that IMG wants women with definitive ideas about their career paths and beauty all in their winners and not just crown chasers who are chasing a crown to make them a success.

Author:
Jmo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:31:12 04/15/17 Sat

[> Subject: Beautiful

Author:
Girlsb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:59:05 04/18/17 Tue

B

[> Subject: The winner will be a strong successful career woman, not a girl chasing a modeling contract.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:29:58 04/21/17 Fri

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.