VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Beauty Queen & United Airlines

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:16:16 04/16/17 Sun

A former Miss Venezuela is suing United Airlines over a nightmarish midair incident in which a flight attendant handcuffed her and enlisted two burly men to forcibly remove her in a dispute that escalated after she asked for a pillow.

Carmen Maria Montiel, a Houston journalist and mom, recounted her ordeal in sympathy for Dr. David Dao, the United passenger who was dragged off a flight last week after he refused to relinquish his seat.

“I can only imagine how he felt,” she told The Post. “I will forever be terrorized for what happened to me.”

Montiel was sitting in first-class aboard a United red-eye flight in June 2013 from Houston to Bogota, Colombia, with husband Alex Lechin, a pulmonologist with whom she was engaged in a bitter divorce, and their 14-year-old daughter.

According to her account, Montiel asked flight attendant Samuel Oliver for a pillow, but he told her the airline no longer provided them. She complained to him about the service.

Montiel then propped up blankets and laid her head on her husband’s shoulder to sleep. But Lechin “slapped” her, she alleges, and pushed a call button to summon Oliver, telling him Montiel was “invading his space.”

The couple continued to argue, and Lechin again alerted the flight attendant that his wife was “still bothering him,” according to the lawsuit.

Oliver then presented Montiel with a written incident report, telling her it was a “warning” and she had to sign it. Montiel says she refused, but changed seats to move away from her husband — who had complained she was upsetting their daughter.

Modal TriggerWhen Oliver told Montiel to move to the coach section, she wouldn’t budge. Montiel says that Oliver, after huddling with her husband, recruited two heavyset men who handcuffed the 120-pound woman with plastic zip ties, grabbed her by the shoulders and carried her to the rear of the plane, sitting her next to an off-duty Houston cop. The lights were out and most people were sleeping.

“I never felt so powerless in my life,” recalled Montiel, who sued the airline last June.

Before the incident, Montiel drank less than a glass and a half of wine, she said. She denies widely reported rumors that she was drunk or assaulted Oliver, who complained that he felt “intimidated.”

Two months later, Montiel was indicted in federal court on a charge of interference with a flight attendant. ​During a three-day trial, the ​captain testified that he did not authorize her removal or arrest. The jury found her not guilty.

“It’s about the culture of United,” Montiel said. “They treat the customer as the enemy.”

She noted a 2015 lawsuit against United for making an emergency landing to eject a couple and two children, including an autistic 15-year-old girl, citing “a behavior issue.”

“They’ve done it so often, it’s gotten worse to the point of what happened with Mr. Dao,” Montiel said. “There is something terribly wrong here.”

When the video emerged showing Dao being wrestled from his seat and dragged down the aisle, Montiel’s three children texted her, “Look Mom, this happened to you,” she said.

Montiel, 52, was crowned Miss Venezuela in 1984 and represented that country in the Miss Universe pageant, where she won the second-runner-up title. She later worked for Telemundo in Houston as a television news anchor and was active in philanthropy.

Her suit against United, filed in Houston district court, seeks unspecified damages for mental anguish, malicious prosecution and defamation.

Another beauty queen article:Please read NYPOST.com the night Miss America 1937 disappeared.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Is she serious? This is absurd. A husband not letting her rest her head on his shoulder?? CLEARLY, there are other issues here & it's hardly United's fault.

Author:
Tiki-Java
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:48:46 04/16/17 Sun

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: I remember that incident . She should not be handcuffed or treated as a delinquent. "Two months later Montiel was indicted in Federal Court. The captain testified that he did not authorised her removal or arrest". Obviously someone didn't handle the situation well in that plane. I personally never flight again with American Airlines. I would not hold my breath waiting for them to improve their customer service. They are all rude

Author:
Leona
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:37:21 04/17/17 Mon

[> Subject: They dont just handcuff you on an airplane for nothing. Flying is not laughing matter. If people cannot behave themselves midair, it is the crew's responsibility to handle the situation.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:38:14 04/17/17 Mon

[> Subject: I vaguely recall her from Miss Universe 1984. I believe during the final question/answer Miss Venezuela wasn't quite finished answering. The interpreter translated the first portion of Miss Venezuela's answer & Bob Barker basically said adios amigo even though Miss Venezuela's lips made it seem she had more to say to complete her answer.

Author:
Was she unduly cut-off with all being mindful of time constraints?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:39:59 04/17/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: She was cut off. I think it was Bob Barker and not the time limit that did it for her. Barker would never stop a contestant he liked from talking. He knew he could sway the results.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:55:25 04/17/17 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: I think Bob Barker wanted South Africa to win that year. Knowing she would give the best answer to the final question, he brought her out last of the top five even though she wasn't called out fifth. She was an animal rights advocate like Bob and bringing her out last to answer the question eloquently would in his mind be the best choice. Especially since the other girls in that top five couldn't answer the question very well.

Author:
mu 84
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:20:42 04/17/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: "Barker would never stop a contestant he liked from talking. He knew he could sway the results." Case in point: The way Bob Barker blazed a trail through Miss Turks & Caicos interview at Miss Universe 1987 because he wanted to hurry up & get to the cute repartee he had in store for Miss Chile Cecelia Bolocco.

Author:
He was a master of manipulation?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:15:47 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: yeah, I remember that distinctly. Cecilia may have been the judges favorite, but he sealed the deal for her.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:46:49 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: Crazy

Author:
Crazy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:03:39 04/20/17 Thu

Crazy

[> [> [> Subject: Beautifu Girl

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:08:45 04/18/17 Tue

[> Subject: She was ugly anyway... I don't think Bob make a difference. I remember her answers and they could not be more stupid. colombia was robbed that year

Author:
Milan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:25:57 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: She's crazy like most beauty queens

Author:
W
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:17:41 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: She sounds like an alcoholic more than anything: http://www.vaildaily.com/news/former-miss-venezuela-violates-2011-probation/. Man it must be hard when your looks stop getting you somewhere in her life. Lesson to all you young and beautiful things who think you'll be that way forever! Beauty fades and there will always been someone younger, thinner, and prettier coming along. Always.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:31:07 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: I don't think she is that crazy or alcoholic as people says. She must have been having a hard time back then. I read interviews made 1-2 before her divorce and she was full of pride about her marriage and her kids. She was married for 30 years/ Then I read another interview where her then husband admits having affairs and that started the troubles at home.. she gave up the opportunity to make a career to be a house wife and then when her older the husband goes chasing the younger ones. Not an easy pill to swallow. She worked in her home country and in USA, completed university in USA with high distinction but decided to work with her husband.

Author:
It does not sound crazy to me. Stupid perhaps. She is also well recognised in Houston for her charities and found a recent interview and seems perfectly all right
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:33:35 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: What stupid comment. It's out of place and for your record I don't think she was precisely the typical beauty queen that relied on her looks. She got a degree in USA as it was said and gave up her career to focus on her family. I totally understand how she might have felt discovering than her husband was having sex with prostitutes. She gave him and her family all her good years and got that in return. I would have felt Betrayed and resentful as well. I am glad to hear that she has started all over again without a partner but with her kids. I never paid attention to her before but she was certainly not the typical beauty queen

Author:
Mia
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:46:31 04/21/17 Fri

[> Subject: Typical Venezuelan entitlement.

Author:
Worse winners ever
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:00:24 04/19/17 Wed

[> Subject: CraZy

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:56:03 04/21/17 Fri

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.