VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: What's the point of the Teen title?

Author:
social media addict
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 06:47:52 04/18/17 Tue

We all know the story of the N-word. Still, MUO let Karlie keep the crown.

"Keep the crown", well. But girlfriend lives at home in Texas, does online courses at a local community college and volunteers at some local NGO. What's the point of her being Miss Teen USA?

For all her title, she did one TV interview (to apologize), one (!!!) photo shoot and I think she got a weekend trip to New York.

She doesn't seem to be putting a lot of effort into being Miss Teen, but can you blame her? She has less opportunities than a state titleholder in the Northwest.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: You must not follow her on any of her social media accounts. While MUO has not necessarily spotlighted her reign, she has actually been very busy, particularly the last 4 months or so. I always see her posting from philanthripic events and doing tons of activities in the community. In regards to her still living in Texas, who was the last Teen who actually moved to New York City? I dont even remember.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:17:05 04/18/17 Tue

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: The bigger issue is that she is doing things a state titleholder would do. My expectation of Miss STATE Teen USA is that she would volunteer in her local community. My issue is that she has done no national tours. Isnt the national cause of Teen USA alcohol and substance abuse? (Ahem, Katie Blair).

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:42:35 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: This is crazy

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:44:10 04/21/17 Fri

[> Subject: There's a new video on Facebook, keeping up with Karlie in 1 minute. Honestly 1 minute was way too much to discuss her reign. She went to NY Fashion Week and Mexico (nice) and she volunteers at the Star of Hope in Houston (nice for a Miss Southern Houston Teen USA). She did her final photo shoot - that will make it a total of TWO Miss Teen USA photo shoots.

Author:
Memories to last a lifetime. Truly.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:07:10 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Sometimes I wonder why some of you even bother following pageants when you hold so much contempt and negativity towards them. Truly.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:19:41 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: We follow pageants because we have an interest and an opinion, which means that it does not always have to be a positive one. The reality is that she is a step down from previous titleholders and isn't using the crown to its fullest potential

Author:
srry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:04:00 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Again, the issue is that she has done NOTHING that I would expect a national TEEN titleholder to do. Do I think it is her fault? NO! I blame MUO and specifically Esher. Instead of fawning over Pia, she needs to be working her tail off on getting engagements for TEEN and USA.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:36:54 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: i agree with that

Author:
betty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:07:58 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: I also agree with this statement. I disagree with the posters who are never satisfied with anything that MUO has/will do. They seem to be here for nothing more than to attempt to bring the organization down because they never won a pageant themselves. But again, I agree with Vegas' statement.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:49:30 04/18/17 Tue

[> Subject: I don't really think this has anything to do with her. They really don't have much for the teen to do. It doesn't help that she has a bit of a cloud hanging over her from the start. MUO has proven they don't have their act together (Tickets for Miss USA.... anyone?) This is just another example.

Author:
It's OK. Teens aren't very important in advertising anyway... ;)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:49:12 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: I do think the Teen pageant is extremely important in terms of state franchise and recruiting. I've been told from many state directors that without Teens, they might not make a profit of any kind. And if they are not making a profit, who pays the bills? Teens are very important in keeping MUO alive and well.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:50:59 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Tell that to all of the directors. Some do next to no recruiting or retention of teens (or misses for that matter).

Author:
No name but I bet you can guess the state
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:50:17 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Agree ICEMAN. That 'Teen Advertising' comment was sarcasm.. I think they are very important

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:16:42 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Interesting read.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:53:18 04/19/17 Wed

[> Subject: Personally I think her scandal was too much to overcome. Racism isn't cool and people don't put up with that crap anymore. The very people in the public who could have made her relevant just weren't willing to look past her bigotry. And I think it has much more to do with her than teen title given ones before her were more visible. I think they thought she might bounce back like Tara but Tara had Trump. Who did she have? Faceless IMG? It was just a mess all around.

Author:
they made a poor choice
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:16:21 04/18/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Her scandal wasn't about racism. She said something millions of teens do. Get over it and grow a thicker skin.

Author:
Davey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:31:25 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: Are we talking about the same African American community who routinely uses sexist, homophobic and slurs toward Asians and other groups? The thing with many black folks is they don't apply the same standards to themselves as they demand for themselves by others. Same people crying about karlie's comments are out here making bigoted remarks about another group but somehow the black population is allowed to dish it but above criticism? Get outta here with that.

Author:
eye roll
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:35:54 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: @ Eye Roll, I am black and have never used this slur a day in my life nor do I make slurs at other groups. Stop making excuses for this degenerate. Bad behavior of one doesn't excuse bad behavior of another. I've been black my entire life and no one around me that I personally know has used a racial slur to refer to Asians so enough with your sweeping generalization. You're mad because the racist Miss Teen proved not to be marketable.

Author:
that's her problem not mine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:40:23 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Their point is, many of the same folks who were outraged by Karlie are same ones bashing the Mr. USB contest with suspect remarks that are bigoted so let's not pretend the African American community are always victims when we've all witnessed ignorance they approve of toward other groups. Especially one that comes to mind they are notorious for.

Author:
Just A Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:04:55 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: What exactly are we notorious for? Elaborate. And to support your claim, you will need to do the same for majority.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:08:04 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about but boy are you incorrectly generalizing and mis-characterizing an entire group. No I am not impressed with these teen. I think she's facially average, short and chubby. I thought all of this before learning about her racist remarks. I also happen to love the Mr. USB contest. Have followed over 5 years and only registered to participate in voting year Iceman won. Almost did this year to vote for Gaj bur lost track of time. I posted that I didn't understand why people were complaining about it. So again what are you even talking about right now?

Author:
bitch, please
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:26:40 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: If I recall, the black community did not have a reaction. Point being, Miss Teen USA is such a non factor. I am sure Miss Teen USA 2010 did that was on the reality show.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:07:07 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: It sounds like a black person made you feel embarrassed. One thing you do not mess with is a black person. We are strong and will not tolerate anything.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:28:00 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: She's done plenty through her reign. Certainly no less than any other teen who hasn't been doing much at all themselves. Karlie has appeared in many functions as evident by her social media.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:37:14 04/19/17 Wed

[> Subject: love the teem

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:00:55 04/18/17 Tue

[> Subject: Our Miss Teen USA has been doing no less than Katherine did last year. Karlie has actually been doing quite a bit of charity work. I really like her. Those who don't have a personal agenda and are mad she kept her title.

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:32:48 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: I agree. She just went to Mexico with Deshauna for charities. How come these FACTS are ignored. I am wondering if her friendship with Deshauna will survive the test of time, she is be a good role model to explain to Karlie that certain things cannot be said and that one should not blame their family and instead focus on what we say. And Karlie appologized for this situation many times. On the same topic, I have not seen Miss New Jersey Teen USA appologize for using the N word on twitter a few years ago. Or am I missing something?

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:52:26 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: I don't not not like her. I just don't care anything about her at all. She doesn't impress me and never did even before the slurs.

Author:
very different
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:07:00 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: Well said, observer! These pearl clutching BLM types are the same ones dropping anti gay slurs on their social media but want to brutally bash what a 14 yea told said with her friends. Meanwhile, will they check their own adult ignorance today? Nope. Somehow they are above criticism but heaven forbid anyone say anything they don't like.

Author:
100% agree
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:13:11 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: I do disagree with BLM techniques but aren't many of their leaders gay, DeRay McKesson, Jasmine Richards come to mind.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:33:27 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Yep they are gay and this poster looks like an idiot because he or she keeps looking at the only black people they know about from afar on social media grouping them as a monolith and then slapping some tired BLM label on them.

Author:
no boo, wrong
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:32:53 04/20/17 Thu

[> Subject: Most of the Karlie bashing is coming from the same poster. Most everyone in the pageant community accepts her as Miss Teen USA and she gets a lot of support on Instagram and social media. Some folks have a chip on their shoulder and pretend they've always been pristine Angels, which makes everyone laugh and simply have more allegiance to Karlie.

Author:
NorthWest Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:06:45 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: You do realize social media and instagram are fan boys and social wannabes.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:09:50 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: As opposed to what, the fan boys and social wannabes on here? Yeah that'll get you places.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:01:39 04/20/17 Thu

[> Subject: Someone keeps making this same post about Karlie every two weeks and it's getting boring. As others noted, she'll always be Miss Teen USA 2016. Get out of your feelings and go get a life.

Author:
Pageant Girlie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:14:17 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: Umm the point of a forum is to discuss. If you do not like the discussion, maybe you should go elsewhere. Everything cannot and should not be positive. Bloom argues one must critique and that is what we do.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:21:32 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Tell ya what, society will work on its "racism" problem when you and your racial minority community work on your homophobia problem. The biggest defenders of Carrie Prejean were in fact black members of the board. Same black members who demand everyone bow down and worship their feet and call everything racist. And you Vegas being gay doesn't absolve your own homophobic slurs like calling posters here out of name. If we called you a spic, dirty, beaner, Puerto Rican wetback, you being a constant race baiter on here would be playing all sorts of cards but somehow calling gay men queens and fairies and other slurs (no not all gays appreciate it) is ok? Oh but we forget, racial minorities can dish it, they just can't take it

Author:
Just A Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:57:42 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Lol who said I was gay? You are making an assumption.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:19:40 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Gay not gay. Your community has plenty of work to do when it comes to bigotry, homophobia and racism toward others before you all do this poo poo "why me?" Victim hood song and dance which clearly I'm not the only one not falling for. Go back to bashing Miss USAs while fawning over your clapper Puerto Rican bots who all looks like horses with nose jobs lately.

Author:
Just A Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:27:34 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Lol I suggest you look at my track record. I am the one who is against the latina bots lol. I always support the European and African girls.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:20:32 04/20/17 Thu

[> Subject: Both IMG and Karlie are to blame for her. IMG sucks at promoting their winners and quite frankly I think they realized Karlie wasn't worth the effort given her half-baked response to the situation she created for herself. Can we just get a new winner because this topic is all her reign has ever generated.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:34:25 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: In fairness to Karlie, the situation was teed up by selecting carbon-copy blonds for the top 5. That was the top twitter trend for several hours before her own personal account came out. IMG/MUO then basically kept her at arm's length with a 'coordinated with the lawyers' news release then sent her on the morning show without her crown. I am impressed she has hung around like she did.

Author:
I wouldn't have blamed her if she just said F*** it.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:27:13 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: I think IMG let Shugart run the teen and she screw that up by picking non diverse judges. Top five fill with 5 blondes four from the south. And a judge that won Miss Usa under the director where three made top five.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:56:39 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Lol ONE judge. There was also Hilary whose directors had 7 contestants in the competition and Keylee whose directors had 6. Yeah it means jack all.

Author:
oz-usb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:04:14 04/19/17 Wed

Last edited by author: Wed April 19, 2017 21:05:25   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: White posters on this board accused one black judge of picking winners all the time. Jermaine Jackson was responsible for the top five of Usa 02 and Raven for Marissa 's win.

Author:
Oz has select amnesia
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:35:16 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: She is so beautiful

Author:
B
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:37:27 04/21/17 Fri

H

[> [> Subject: How is what Karlie said any different than the blatant homophobic remarks of black posters on here who were attacking the Mr.USB contestants with nothing but homophobic pejoratives? And yes, a pattern of writing is easy to spot. As others noted, some seem to only be capable of waving that civil rights banner for respect as it pertains to their tribe.

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:01:40 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Specifics please. Which black posters were attacking Mr. USB contest because of homophobia. The attacks I saw I have no idea race of poster and furthermore the attacks were about contest being rigged and silly because they wanted someone else to win. By the way let's stop pretending homophobia doesn't happen across the world in all groups.

Author:
if you malign entire group, back it up with specifics
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:40:04 04/20/17 Thu

[> Subject: For the low lifes using this as an excuse for some Karlie bashing, while she got a little more NYC exposure Katherine's appearances were mostly the same, in-state stuff. And ditto K Lee and in fact every other Miss Teen USA from the last few years. Take into account ALL THREE titleholders made a ton more red carpet type appearances in the Trump days, this is seriously a non event that's being described.

Author:
oz-usb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:08:17 04/19/17 Wed

[> Subject: I'm so sick of grown adults who had their feelings hurt because of non existent racism in the form of a 4 year old convo, yet these same folks (Vegas, lolling) rip apart different people and pageant contestants with the ire of a nazi and want THEIR little precious groups feelings protected. Fck outta here. Best decision MUO made was Karlie keeping her crown.

Author:
Sparkles
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:03:41 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: Thank you!!! I was about to say, the people most "offended" by Karlie's words are the biggest shit talkers on this page Vegas/former spend every waking post bashing any American pageant contestant who isn't white, especially former Miss USA winners, with their clear anti American bias but yet want to act emotionally distraught over a teenagers tweet from 2011?! LMAO. Too funny!

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:09:41 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Point being. A non black teen should not use that word. Otherwise it is racist, period. She won the title but she has suffered because of it.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:25:51 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: LOL what precious groups have I asked protection for? MUO fans of yesteryear and that's it. My issue with Karlie is that she has been the lamest Teen titleholder we've seen since I can't remember when. Completely underwhelming despite coming from the strongest pageant system in the nation. So spare me your "poor white me" Trumpsheep diatribe.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:09:20 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: I didn't read that drivel. I'm just happy the low class types have to still deal with Karlie. And also that the very unfortunate looking Deshauna is giving up her title in days. Win win in my book.

Author:
Sparkles
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:25:00 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Lol your white hood is showing.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:18:21 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: LOL glad I could bring the real ya sweeties because all the fake "here for positivity and support and rainbows and unicorns" (unless you are from some "precious little group" then you can GTFO) crap is nauseating. Ain't it refreshing to say what you really feel? We need more of this honesty here and IRL. But back pageants, believe me I am ready to be done with Deshauna like you too. She is boring AF too and just got lucky with her Weekend Warrior story. And I'm not concerned at all about seeing Karlie longer because she's nowhere to be seen! LOL.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:42:43 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Karlie is not lame, she is amazing. the most lame teens are in my opinion are Cammie and katie because cammie continues to spew mean remarks and Katie because of her involvement in the tara mess. AS for karlie teens do say things and sometimes they do not know what they are saying because they do not think before they say something. And the things she said were said way before she won. Not so for the things Katie and Cammie did and said

Author:
betty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:40:36 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Why are you dragging Katie into this? Her "involvement in the Tara mess"? She was an 18 yr old in NYC and you blame her for the actions of her Miss titleholder? I have no words.

Author:
RockyGirl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:55:00 04/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: i am not blaming her for the tara mess. She had a bad attitude in pageant place. That was in her reigh not before she competed in a pageant

Author:
betty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:51:23 04/21/17 Fri

[> [> Subject: Wow. I don't think you know me that well. If you truly did, you would know i am am equal opportunity critique. I did not support Deshauna at universe and still believe her placement was because she was a pick. Your other comments, umm i don't agree.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:23:19 04/20/17 Thu

[> Subject: NGO?

Author:
What kinda racist thang is that??
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:12:37 04/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: I'm going to assume your either kidding or just trying to stir up stuff.

Author:
RockyGirl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:52:53 04/20/17 Thu

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.