VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]
Subject: What was your "oh sh*t, she's going to win" moment?

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:43:00 08/17/20 Mon

Who is an example of a contestant that you didn't particularly love, but just knew she was going to win at a certain moment in the pageant?

For me, it was Miss Universe 2006. I was not a big fan of Puerto Rico, but as soon as I saw her in the swimsuit competition, I said "oh sh*t, she's going to win." She was actually the first contestant in SS, but she was right on the money and none of the 19 contestants after her could match her.

I have to say Zuleyka is a perfect example of someone I didn't love, but I felt like she did everything necessary to win that particular pageant and I agree with her win.

Who is your "oh sh*t, she's going to win" contestant, and when was the moment that you knew?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: NATALIE GLEBOVA: Despite the many surgeries she had to her face between 2004 (when she lost Miss Canada to Vanessa Fischer) to 2005 (when she won Miss Canada), I still thought her face was like a hologram -- nice looking in some angles but very off in others. I also thought her personality was way too robotic and manufactured. She trained in Colombia and I found it funny that her rehearsed reaction to being called into the Top 15 was copied from Catherina Daza Manchola (Miss Colombia from MU 2004). But when Natalie came out in gown, I knew she was going to win. I still prefer Cynthia Olavarria because she transformed herself into an Asian-esque doll the night of the finals (pale porcelain make-up, flower in hair, black lace gown, elongated cat eye) and I thought her SS walk was one of the most seductive I have ever seen on any pageant stage (especially when she walked down the ramp), but I knew that Natalie had it in the bag (her body was amazing) and the rest is history.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:53:12 08/17/20 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Cynthia & Natalie have to be one of my favorite last two standing at Miss Universe. I would've been fine with either winning, however, I thought Cynthia was more beautiful. Then I saw photos of Natalie's expression after she won/when she was crowned, and I was like, why the hell is she making those dumb expressions?? That seemed very fake to me.

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:28:43 08/18/20 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Completely agree. It was a STRONG top 2! But Natalie's facial expressions scared me. lol

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:34:25 08/19/20 Wed

[> Subject: P.s. I agree about Zuleyka as well. Wasn't a fan of hers going into the telecast. Many of us were won over by Japan's Kurara Chibana that night. The hype from her samurai national costume to her charm really made her standout but Zuleyka's glamazon styling and presentations dismantled Kurara rather easily imo. Even though I thought Kurara's final answer was very good and showed the most personality, I simply couldn't see the crown going on her head with a shimmering silver chained Zuleyka standing right next to her. Rumor has it that Kurara borrowed that black evening gown from Miss TnT (Kenisha Thom) but I didn't care for it and it looked doubly plain compared to Zuley's.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:08:06 08/18/20 Tue

[> Subject: Leila Lopes. Girls from Africa are not favorites for the crown for very good reasons - they aren’t really as prepared compared to other countries unless the girl is from South Africa. I noticed Leila from the beginning because that face is gorgeous. But I honestly never thought that she’ll win until the evening gown. She looked Like a winner and the crowd absolutely loved her (duh).

Author:
Arkenken
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:45:22 08/18/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: I agree about Leila. In fact Lea Salonga who was a judged, shared that she had her as her winner right after the EG round.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:48:02 08/19/20 Wed

I agree about Leila. In fact Lea Salonga who was a judged, shared that she had her as her winner right after the EG round.

[> Subject: Rachel Smith. Ironically that was the very first pageant I have ever watched on television. You could just tell that she was so vibrant and had this mega watt gorgeous smile. I wasn't a big fan of the dress tbh (too flashy IMO) but I feel like she could have won in anything! It was nice though that she recycled her gown from Miss TN USA.

Author:
snw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:16:42 08/18/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: When I heard that Rachel Smith worked with Oprah, I knew that was going to give her some major brownie points. But not only that she was absolute perfection that whole night. I loved Rhode Island that year too but nobody was beating Rachel.

Author:
Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:45:15 08/18/20 Tue

[> Subject: Mpule picture in the desert with something on her head.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:11:51 08/18/20 Tue

[> Subject: Donald Trump....... oh, wait, we're talking about females...

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:56 08/18/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: Okay, that made me LOL.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:16:54 08/18/20 Tue

Okay, that made me LOL.

[> [> [> Subject: ;)

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:13:16 08/18/20 Tue

[> Subject: Some of mine: Seeing Mary Therese’s preliminary SS score, I thought she might not make the cut at MU. After 1978’s Miss USA’s scores and placement, I was not sure Shawn would win in 1980 until NZ was called 2nd RU. MU 1981, Kim’s interview score, it was over. I wasn’t sure about Julie winning with her 5th place finish in Interview. In MU 1986, after EG, I knew it was Venezuela’s to lose. And, in 1977, I knew T&T would win after Scotland was called 2nd RU.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:32:38 08/18/20 Tue

[> Subject: Being called last into the Top 10, Kelli McCarty in 1991. It seemed each time she set foot onstage, the cheers grew louder and her scores reflected that. Once the Top 3 were selected, I thought, this is insane, and not in a very good way. Her win would have been justified in Wichita had she missed the Top 10 in Las Vegas. There were at least 20-25 other Universe contestants better than her.

Author:
HIM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:27:38 08/18/20 Tue

[> Subject: Alyssa Milano (now Alyssa Lachey) Miss Teen USA 1998. She was the obvious winner that year

Author:
Sunshine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:30:04 08/18/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: *Vanessa Milano not Alyssa Milano lol

Author:
Sunshine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:31:49 08/18/20 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: You mean Vanessa Minnillo lol!!

Author:
Groove (NSI)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:53:50 08/18/20 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: I was about to Wiki that piece of trivia! lmao!

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:35:17 08/19/20 Wed

[> Subject: I got that feeling with Miriam Quiambao. Even though she didn’t win, I always felt she would’ve won if it wasn’t for her interview skills. The feeling started during the swimsuit and once she came out in her evening gown and threw her hands on her hips, I thought “she’s gonna win”. She came so close, but Mpule was a very deserving winner

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:45:00 08/18/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: I had that feeling about her as well. She scored low during the top10 interviews so I was not giving her that much attention yet. However, she kicked into higher gear during SS and EG battling it neck and neck with Spain. To this day, I still think her EG presentation was one of the bests. Hearing how the crowd cheered her during the top5 Q&A also made me think she was IT. I know Spain got good cheers as well during the top5 Q&A, but what really made me think she had it in the bag was when she was called second during the top3 announcement. I noticed a pattern since 94 -- Sushmita, Chelsi, Alicia, Brook and Wendy were all called second during the top3 announcement. This made them the middle of the trio, which to me is MUO's signal, hey, look at the one in the middle, that is your winner. Haha. Maybe it's just my own superstitious belief, hallucination or conspiracy theory, but I thought it was a way for MUO to let the judges know who their preferred girl was.

Author:
So when Miriam was called second, I thought she really was the one. However, we all know how Mpule crushed the final Q&A. And as Ali and Julie said, Philippines just choked.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:40:33 08/20/20 Thu

[> Subject: I often got that “oh s**t" feeling when the scores used to be shown. How many times did Miss USA enter with a decent preliminary score only to fall during semi’s. Seelbrede, Herring, Royer, and Gibbs come to my mind. And then, Miss USA 1989, when I saw Texas was going to do it again. I was like, com’on now!

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:20:34 08/19/20 Wed

[> Subject: Zuly, the minute she was called into the top20. Her twirl when they were leaving the stage was so awesome. Also Riyo bc I knew it was a lock for her. And Catriona. She was really good from the get-go. She deserved her hype imo.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:36:25 08/19/20 Wed

[> [> Subject: OMG, I never noticed Zuly's twirl before. One of the things I love about this board is that everyone remembers different details. I just rewatched that bit of the 2006 pageant to see her spin!

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:21:43 08/19/20 Wed

OMG, I never noticed Zuly's twirl before. One of the things I love about this board is that everyone remembers different details. I just rewatched that bit of the 2006 pageant to see her spin!

[> Subject: Erin Brady wasn't my prediction to win Miss USA 2013, but when she worked the stage in the evening gown competition like she owned it, I was like "there's the winner" and Erin turned out to be one of my favorite Miss USAs of the 2010s.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:35:29 08/19/20 Wed

[> Subject: I was 14 years old and grew up in PA. At Miss USA 1971, as the evening progressed, Michele McDonald just kept presenting that winning vibe. With our state rarely in contention, I remember my mother shouting,” Oh my God! Miss Pennsylvania won!”

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:41:15 08/20/20 Thu

[> Subject: STEFANIA FERNANDEZ: I thought her prelim performances were GOD AWFUL. That spaceship bun paired with that massacred Big Bird dress made me strike her off my list faster than lightning. I was shocked she placed in Top 15 during finals. Thought she didn't have a good enough body in SS. Still hated that menstrual feather duster frock in EG (albeit her ringlets were an improvement from the Starship Enterprise coiffe from prelims). Was clipping my toenails during Final Question since they all stunk. But when it came down to her and Ada, I JUST KNEW! Yes, this "oh sh*t" moment occurred rather late but it was no less traumatic. Pray for me.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:58:37 08/20/20 Thu

[> [> Subject: LOL, menstrual feather duster!! My "oh sh*t" moment with her was during the question when she actually used the interpreter to her advantage by speaking in small chunks and waiting for him to translate. That clip should be required viewing for anyone using an interpreter. I never expected here to win that pageant in a million years... until that moment.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:43:00 08/20/20 Thu

LOL, menstrual feather duster!! My "oh sh*t" moment with her was during the question when she actually used the interpreter to her advantage by speaking in small chunks and waiting for him to translate. That clip should be required viewing for anyone using an interpreter. I never expected here to win that pageant in a million years... until that moment.

[> [> [> Subject: I knew she’d win when the male host kept on saying will she make history as the first back to back winner. Never once had any host mentioned that before, regardless of how far the outgoing country’s rep did. I knew when they screwed over Kosovo with that terrible interpreter, that Stefania was going to win!

Author:
Pixie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:08:59 08/21/20 Fri

[> Subject: None other than Catriona Gray, Miss Universe 2018, eversince the pageant kick off.. i was like.. oh wait Mr.Chavit , are you shoving this gaga over our throat? not to mention his daughter Singson and her fellow Filipino designer Lhuiller sat as judges. i only watched the first cut announcement of top 20. then i was like shit..ok she is going to win.

Author:
Lava Gown is a Copycat from Paris Hilton's gown 2017 edition.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:17:05 08/21/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: Hahaha. Hater alert. That gown was perfection on her. I don’t know the Paris Hilton gown you are talking about but that doesn’t matter. She killed it in the finals night.

Author:
Arkenken
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:23:22 08/21/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: Catriona really epitomizes the "its hers to lose" sensation. In these days of social media, we get to see them from not only Day Zero but months, if not years, before. The girl has Miss Universe written all over her. But damn, Tamaryn Green gave her a run for her money---for a back to back no less!

Author:
Tamaryn's gown troubles sealed the deal, destiny was speaking at that moment.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:15:25 08/21/20 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful EG aesthetic than Tamaryn Green in that dress. The fact that she couldn't walk in it sure did seem like fate to me as well. Just wasn't in the cards with her. A smooth walk and I think she would have been undeniable (admittedly, this is coming from someone who thinks Catriona is way overrated).

Author:
whoo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:41:30 08/21/20 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: It is not just the gown apparently! Werner did a live interview a few weeks ago (he is the national director, I think, of SA) and he said that From the hair to the shoes went wrong during the finals telecast. I have always wondered why Tamaryn has kind of a wacky hair (the pony tail was too high and too big and her hair too long) and that was because whoever the stylist was didn’t know what to do with that hair and literally was able to style Tamaryn at the last minute. They didn’t cut the hair extension and put it wrong. I think it was also the reason why the gem whatever that is on its shoes latched on the gown. So it literally ripped when she was walking. There is no doubt that Tamaryn is one of the most beautiful runner up but it was a head scratcher for me why she advanced to top 5. I thought her performance was mediocre.

Author:
No hate for Tamaryn here. I thought she was an amazing candidate. I just thought that she was overscored that night.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:26:30 08/21/20 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: Here is the video i was talking about. She talked about meeting Pia Wurtzbach, Melinda Bam, how Rolene Strauss taught Pia how to do the Rolene curl etc. lots of insights.

Author:
Arkenken
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:34:23 08/21/20 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: https://youtu.be/kHAjv221gIo sorry did not post the link. Lol

Author:
Arkenken
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:35:16 08/21/20 Fri

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.