VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]
Subject: Audience Reaction

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:11:28 08/24/20 Mon

Many of us have expressed our pleasure or displeasure with the outcome of a pageant. My question is, can you name an audience that was pleased or not pleased with the outcome of a pageant or the placement/non-placement of a contestant? I will go first, Miss Universe 1978. The audience was not happy with Miss Columbia's 3rd RU placement. Can you contribute?

<a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="https://youtu.be/4mnboMgeJOs">https://youtu.be/4mnboMgeJOs</a>

I'm attempting to insert the Miss Universe 1978 crowning moment. If it does not take, anyone who is able to insert a video may repost or add the video in their comments. Thank you.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Obviously, my posting did not work. Sorry...

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:12:29 08/24/20 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Oxana's crowning in 2002 seemed to be well received by Puerto Ricans. Brazilians appeared to be very pleased by Leila's win. Some displeasures I've noted were for the Jamaican reps in 2014 and 2017. I think the crowd was expecting them to place higher (especially the girl from 2014)

Author:
Audience from the 1997, 1998 and 1999 MU editions also appeared to be pleased by the winners of those years.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:45:04 08/24/20 Mon

[> Subject: Click in for Miss Universe 1978 crowning

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:56:36 08/24/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: Doot...thank you for posting the 1978 MU video. Any guidance on how to post, please share if you're able.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:11:33 08/24/20 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: You're welcome! Sharing a video from YouTube is actually pretty easy. Here is what you do: find the video on YouTube. Just below the video itself, you'll see "Share." Click that. This will bring up a window with a few options. Click "Embed." This will bring up a long string of code between angle brackets. Copy that whole thing, including the angle brackets at the start and at the end. Then just paste that bad boy wherever you want it in your message. Note that you will not see the video if you choose "preview" -- it only shows when you hit send. Also, it has to be in the body of a message, not the subject heading. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have questions!

Author:
Doot (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:20:07 08/24/20 Mon

You're welcome! Sharing a video from YouTube is actually pretty easy. Here is what you do: find the video on YouTube. Just below the video itself, you'll see "Share." Click that. This will bring up a window with a few options. Click "Embed." This will bring up a long string of code between angle brackets. Copy that whole thing, including the angle brackets at the start and at the end. Then just paste that bad boy wherever you want it in your message. Note that you will not see the video if you choose "preview" -- it only shows when you hit send. Also, it has to be in the body of a message, not the subject heading. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have questions!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Thank you, Doot...when I post a video correctly, know that's a nod to you...

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:40:48 08/27/20 Thu

[> Subject: The first one that occurred to me was Miss Universe 2014 when the audience was very unhappy that Jamaica was called as 4th runner-up. I was shocked too, because I expected her to be in the final two. Click in for video.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:59:32 08/24/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: I just rewatched that crowning. When it got down to the final two and the lighting changed, I though for sure we were going to see Miss Colombia's chimichanga.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:03:17 08/24/20 Mon

I just rewatched that crowning. When it got down to the final two and the lighting changed, I though for sure we were going to see Miss Colombia's chimichanga.

[> [> [> Subject: Can’t forget Jamaica in 2014 & 2017 too!! And if 2010 had placed lower, they would probably be dismay too. I feel the next country (one that’s not really fan based) that will win Universe will be a Carribean/Central/South America country.

Author:
Pixie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:37:51 08/24/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: Would love to see a Caribbean country win (other than Puerto Rico). I loved Curaçao in 2015, Kaneisha Sluis. I was hoping she would somehow pull off a surprise victory. It's tough for those countries to get noticed.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:50:13 08/24/20 Mon

Would love to see a Caribbean country win (other than Puerto Rico). I loved Curaçao in 2015, Kaneisha Sluis. I was hoping she would somehow pull off a surprise victory. It's tough for those countries to get noticed.

[> Subject: I remember at Miss USA 1981, Miss Louisiana became the audience favorite that night and when Bob Barker announced her as second runner up the audience went crazy. He couldn't move on to announce the winner because of that angry audience. Bob had to calm things down by saying there was a difference of opinions tonight and then went on to announce Kim Seelbrede as Miss USA 1981. From the look on Miss Louisiana's face, I'm sure she thought she was going to win. She at least went on to represent the USA at Miss World 1981. I love Kim and glad she won. She was so beautiful!

Author:
nostalgic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:36:28 08/24/20 Mon

[> Subject: Carrie Prejean / Kristen Dalton, 2009. If Carrie won the audience would have revolted, so Kristen winning was well received

Author:
TarHeel v Cali
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:51:11 08/24/20 Mon

[> Subject: The audience at Miss USA 1980 was clearly in Shawn's camp.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:12:46 08/24/20 Mon

[> Subject: I'm surprised no one has mentioned MU 1993. The audience was very angry that Miss Mexico did not place and then directed their anger toward Kenya. They also booed Lupita, too.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:14:43 08/24/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: To follow that, what also happen in 2007 when the Mexicans starting booing at USA. I kind of felt it was even worse than the audience in ‘93. However, sadly (because I love dher), I always felt the year after in 2008, Mexico’s “Low” placement was revenge to the crazy audience who booed the innocent and lovely Rachel Smith the year prior.

Author:
Pixie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:35:19 08/24/20 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Mexicans pageant fans are notorious for their booing. CLICK INSIDE to see what they did to THEIR VERY OWN elected Miss Mexico in 1994! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:45:30 08/26/20 Wed

https://youtu.be/yYzFDmA_aVM

[> [> [> [> Subject: Wasn't this the winner who completed at miss Universe 1995?

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:19:57 08/27/20 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yes. The lions and hyenas in Namibia were less ferocious than her own countrymen.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:48:30 08/28/20 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: How sad and disgusting!

Author:
Pixie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:40:00 08/28/20 Fri

[> Subject: The Puerto Ricans were clearly happy in 2001! To this day I fantasize about how entertaining it would have been had Denise not won that night! I reckon we would have witnessed Elle and Naomi getting decapitated by hurling shoes from the crowd and eventually the stage would have been stormed by an angry mob wielding torches and flor de magas. The formers sitting in the first row led by Lupita Jones would have pretended to support the revolt to save their own lives but they'd eventually be carried away against their will mosh pit style and never seen again. Finally, Lara Dutta would have taught an injured Scott Grossman, reeling from the effects of an atomic wedgie, how to escape through the side exit by squatting a la her Indian dance training. A pageant fan can only wish at this point.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:32:07 08/26/20 Wed

[> [> Subject: You forgot to mention what would have happened to Evalina? Was she scarred for life? Kidding aside, my friends and I splitted our Miss Photogenic votes between Philippines and PR. We thought Denise was so beautiful it would be unfair not to vote for her.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:51:57 08/26/20 Wed

You forgot to mention what would have happened to Evalina? Was she scarred for life? Kidding aside, my friends and I splitted our Miss Photogenic votes between Philippines and PR. We thought Denise was so beautiful it would be unfair not to vote for her.

[> [> [> Subject: Evelina would have benefited from the brouhaha by having her teeth punched into proper place thereby making her smile more photogenic. lol But I agree with you. Denise was on fire that night and even despite the home crowd advantage, she owned that stage.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:46:51 08/31/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: LOL. I always wondered what would've happened if Denise had missed the cut that year and recall the audience was not happy when they didn't include Denise in the 10 during the rehearsal. You can even catch a glimpse of Denise with a terrified look when Miss France was called as the 9th semifinalist. But in fairness to Puerto Rico, they handled it well and were very supportive throughout the show in 2002 when their own Isis Casalduc missed the cut on home soil

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:27:19 08/26/20 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: I was just as horrified when France was called 9th and we all got to see that paralyzed arm of hers! But you're so right. PR did handle 2002 very well. It was a complete 180 from the year prior.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:48:09 08/31/20 Mon

[> Subject: Miss Universe 1984 when Colombia was called 4th runner up.. TBH she was lucky to make it that far...

Author:
Buckeye (Hutchison)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:02:03 08/26/20 Wed

[> Subject: The noise for Venus cracking the top20 was one for the books. It was so effective MUO couldnt imagine a list without the Philippines since. It did the country a world of good.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:23:32 08/26/20 Wed

[> [> Subject: Actually, Top 15. After Guatemala was called for the 13th spot, we already accepted the possibility that the last 2 will be Venezuela and USA. When Czech was called 14th, there’s no way that USA and Venezuela will be left out so that was the end of it. Like everyone surrendered, bowed their heads and said; that’s it for the Philippines, better luck again next year! And then what happened, happened.10yrs in the making. That explains the reaction when Venus was called.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:32:54 08/28/20 Fri

Actually, Top 15. After Guatemala was called for the 13th spot, we already accepted the possibility that the last 2 will be Venezuela and USA. When Czech was called 14th, there’s no way that USA and Venezuela will be left out so that was the end of it. Like everyone surrendered, bowed their heads and said; that’s it for the Philippines, better luck again next year! And then what happened, happened.10yrs in the making. That explains the reaction when Venus was called.

[> Subject: At Miss USA 2011 when Miss Texas was called as third runner up I remember you heard a lot of boos in the audience. She was the crowd favorite for sure. Even the host Guliana Rancic made a comment saying "Wow, a lot of Texas fans in the audience" because they would not stop booing.

Author:
MUO Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:28:53 08/28/20 Fri

[> Subject: Something I never saw before or since: When Amanda Jones was called first into the Top 5 at Miss USA, there was a sustained applause. Even Bob Barker noted it.

Author:
That audience was beind her at both MUSA and MU.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:02:56 08/30/20 Sun

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.