VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Miss South Africa Sparks Fury After Wearing Gloves With HIV-Positive Orphans

Author:
HIM
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:35:27 07/12/17 Wed

SA2017

Miss South Africa has sparked the ire of the internet after images of her wearing gloves emerged visiting an orphanage for HIV-positive children in Johannesburg. Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters which the Daily Mail identifies as mixed-race, posted a photo of herself eating sandwiches and bread with white medical gloves on, surrounded by black children. She captioned the shot, “Winter is for yummy soup, fresh bread rolls and cozy blankies supporting @themaslowhotel‘s #wintersoupdrive” (it’s winter in the Southern hemisphere). Almost immediately Black (African) Twitter went to work. 

Many were outraged, including one asking, “Do you always eat with the gloves on???” and posting photos of Peters hugging white children and dogs sans gloves.

The 22-year-old on the same day released a video in response saying that she wore the gloves to be “hygienic as possible” saying her intentions were “completely misunderstood” and apologizing. “The real story was that 300 kids got a proper warm lunch and they got that with or without gloves,” Nel-Peters noted.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/miss-south-africa-sparks-fury-after-wearing-gloves-with-hiv-positive-orphans/ar-BBEeVYc?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Maybe her critics should ask why these kids' communities failed them to the point that a "racist" titleholder was necessary to do a humanitarian event with them. Where are the same critics at this event?

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:07:00 07/13/17 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: "These kids communities". That comment shows that you know nothing about South Africa.

Author:
ignorance is bliss
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:59:48 07/13/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Please entertain me with an explanation. Of course, it's easy to say "you're ignorant" and leave it at that. Again, what happened to the community that's so outraged about gloves? I'd love to hear what they are doing for these kids, or perhaps I am just ignorant to that too?

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:34:28 07/13/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Okay. You are ascribing phrases to this situation as if this is the United States and it's not. South Africa doesn't have "their communities" in the way that phrase might make sense in the United States. Other countries just aren't set up with the same divisions. Maybe if you'd said their families but they are orphans. They are not a part of a community. They are poor children with a disease. That's their community. This very short woman is incredibly ignorant for wearing gloves. If she were this concerned she never should have used diseased, poor orphans as the backdrop to her photo shoot.

Author:
insensitive beyond compare
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:37:40 07/15/17 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Wrong. Their community is Black/African Twitter. They felt compelled enough to cry racism. So my question is what have they done for these kids? Hope it isn't limited to crying racism on social media, but it probably is.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:27:04 07/17/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I have heard of Black Twitter but what is Black/African Twitter? Black Twitter consists of Black Americans who are not a part of a community of HIV children in another country. It would be more racist for you to assume that all the black peoples of the world are part of some big community. That's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Author:
not all black people know each other simpleton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:03:18 07/22/17 Sat

[> Subject: Wearing gloves for this event was simply ignorant. No need for them at all.

Author:
pageant pearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:50:38 07/13/17 Thu

[> Subject: To Lolling: Physicians don't even wear gloves when examining HIV or AIDS patients. It sends the wrong message that people with this illness are still stigmatized. If you can't see that, then you yourself need to read more and educate yourself.

Author:
pageant pearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:36:17 07/13/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: First, she is not a physician. Second, it is common practice to wear gloves at functions where food is being served (whether that be in a restaurant and/or at volunteer opportunities, i.e. soup kitchens). Third, see Nos. 1 and 2. As for whether it is a shameless photo opp, yes, but she is not the first nor will she be the last to do it. In any given year half of the ladies will attend such events to pump their pageant bios up and even MUO actively engages in them. Again, why the outrage against this lady. I'm sure if I crapped on her you'd all be falling over yourselves to defend a girl who's "just putting herself out there!" Please.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:15:52 07/13/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Yep people wear gloves WHEN actually serving food NOT when sitting on ground next to child with no foreseeable food being served in sight.

Author:
but that was a nice try
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:40:59 07/15/17 Sat

[> [> [> [> Subject: Ummm, she is holding food in her HAND!

Author:
idiots have taken over this board
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:14:21 07/16/17 Sun

[> Subject: The whole wearing her designer clothes, her pageant banner, hair and make up done and having a photo op at an orphanage for HIV kids reeks of how tone deaf this whole thing is.

Author:
washington mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:25:52 07/13/17 Thu

[> Subject: you think? I agree. It looks like a shameless photo op to me.

Author:
pageant pearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:00:41 07/13/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: And what have you done lately?

Author:
Prob nothing other than polish your .......nm prob don't have much to polish.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:22:54 07/13/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: It is not a photo op she went to the event as miss South Africa which for your information is big in South Africa. Almost every Miss SA winner is a huge star or a millionaire in their own right. she was there to serve food. She offered to feed the little girl whom she is photographed. Demi is a lovely girl.

Author:
SinDuda
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:50:19 07/14/17 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: Talking about polishing? Why don't you polish off your english skills. You obviously had a 4th grade education, or did you actually make it that far?

Author:
pageant pearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:20:55 07/14/17 Fri

[> Subject: I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt and think that she was probably serving food, which would be cause to wear gloves especially if the food was not already prepackaged or wrapped, and then decided to sit down and join them. Of course, everyone is basing it on this one picture. If this was truly a photo opportunity – shouldn’t there be more photos floating out there “working” the event? Furthermore, this is probably part of her “Beauty with a Purpose” campaign with the Miss World program.

Author:
MLB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:19:10 07/13/17 Thu

[> Subject: Olive the world now. Everyone is a victim.

Author:
If she was black we would not even question. Oh, the double standard.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:20:31 07/13/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: Oh you're wrong! I would be questioning anyone wearing gloves in this situation. If she were PREPARING the food that's one thing. Serving the food quite another. It's wrong, so please don't try to justify it.

Author:
Lane
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:44:18 07/15/17 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: In situations like this you are also required to wear gloves to serve. Health laws demand it.

Author:
true
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:19:05 07/16/17 Sun

[> Subject: Thye article and coments in this thread is very misleading. She wore gloves as did everyone serving food. The little girl she is photographed with did not want to eat so she stopped what she was doing to help feed her. There are several photos of her without gloves playing with the children and there are photos of other volunteers wearing gloves.

Author:
SinDuda
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:46:40 07/14/17 Fri

[> Subject: I lived with my son and other children with blood disease like HIV and cancer in the hospital, and at housing. When at special events for the sick children people (volunteers) would help they would wear gloves. These children's immune systems are very sensitive and a white cell blood count can drop at a moments notice. I commend her for safety. Many people do not understand that if these children get sick even with a fever it can get deadly quick. My son was in a near coma and in patient for two weeks because he developed a line infection. Something a regular person with a healthy immune system can fight off.

Author:
IHP
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:22 07/16/17 Sun

[> [> Subject: Thank you for conttruting to the stigma of HIV/AIDS. As someone who has a significant other with AIDS, even his physician does not wear gloves, nor do any of the nurses.Transference is through sex, blood transfusion.

Author:
Val
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:01:07 07/16/17 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: VAL...can you not read or just too stupid to comprehend? The person you replied to simply stated that wearing gloves can be for the protection of the person with HIV/AIDS, to keep them from coming in contact with possibly lethal germs. I myself am battling cancer and anyone with a cough or flu-like symptoms is asked to wear a mask in the cancer clinic's waiting room to protect the rest of us from germs we cannot fight.

Author:
what a dumb ass you are
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:45:38 07/16/17 Sun

[> [> [> [> Subject: TOTAL B.S. Quit spreading these lies.

Author:
Val
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:32:40 07/16/17 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: You are a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

Author:
Hope you never become a caregiver
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:12:53 07/16/17 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: As the other post says, often times gloves are worn to protect the infected person from infections their body may not be able to fight off. It has nothing to do with spreading the disease, which we all know is not a risk in that manner. If you are truly the spouse of someone with HIV, you should be well aware of that fact.

Author:
Stop attacking people for being correct.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:18:54 07/16/17 Sun

[> [> [> [> Subject: I AM TOTALLY AWARE, AS I'VE ASKED 2 DOCTORS ABOUT THIS ON 22 SEPERATE OCCASIONS. KNOW YOUR FACTS BEFORE SPREADING YOUR LIES. SICK OF IT!

Author:
Val
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:02 07/16/17 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Then why are you jumping on people for telling the truth? God help your spouse if they are ever in a situation where they need to avoid germs.

Author:
Stupidity like yours kills people
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:26:05 07/16/17 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: If I were the spouse I'd be worried as hell.

Author:
fo shu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:40:22 07/16/17 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Please folksdon't be uneducated. You don't catch HIV/AIDS from getting germs. It is passed on through blood products and via sex.

Author:
Praying for a more educated world.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:56:50 07/17/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Let's try this again. NO ONE is talking about catching AIDS from getting germs. The conversation, which keeps getting skewed by that Val person, is about PROTECTING PATIENTS from germs. Good Lord, are you people really this dense?

Author:
wow just wow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:09:19 07/17/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: The lack of reading comprehension by Val, is appaling. No wonder people are hateful to each other we don't even stop and read and comprehend what is being said. I know how Aids is Spread, which is through sharing needles, and bodily fluids during sex. What I am saying is that one wrong move the bacteria or viruses from ourselves can cause great harm to our friends with HIV and other immune diseases.

Author:
Jeez Louise.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:45:43 07/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Thank you. I am relieved to know I am not the only sane one here...lol

Author:
voice of reason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:54:28 07/19/17 Wed

[> Subject: She was serving FOOD to the children. I've seen pictures of her with the children and she ISN'T wearing gloves. This article is bad journalism. Shame on all of you for throwing her under the bus so quickly.

Author:
If the school lunch lady has to wear gloves to serve food then she should too because this is NO different
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:21 07/16/17 Sun

Poor girl

[> Subject: Another dumb story to spark outrage from the overly-sensitive pageant world. My love for South Africa remains strong

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:15:39 07/17/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: I actually like her even more.

Author:
People can be such idiots
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:18:17 07/17/17 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: I would havve said, I'm not weasring gloves. It sends the wrong message. She wasn't that educated to do so.

Author:
LaVonne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:01:24 07/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: You're one to talk about education... You can't even spell. I would rather someone serving children food wear gloves. Especially since the children already have a compromised immune system.

Author:
Get a life
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:14:55 07/19/17 Wed

You're one to talk about education... You can't even spell. I would rather someone serving children food wear gloves. Especially since the children already have a compromised immune system.

[> Subject: I need to share some insight. We are directed to wear gloves when around kids with compromised immune issues like HIV. It is for the protection of the kids; not us. We can't contract HIV from hand holding, but they can catch any number of diseases from us.

Author:
Beaux Wellborn
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:40 07/19/17 Wed

[> Subject: There is a plethora of information to anyone who can read on the internet regarding this very topic. Unless the food server is openign a vein and asking the child to drain them dry, or is having sex with them there is absolutely NO NEED TO WEAR GLOVES.

Author:
Dr. Doug Kenney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:49:58 07/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: You are not much of a doctor if you don't realize the importance of protecting these children from our germs. What may cause just a sniffle in a healthy person can be deadly to someone with a compromised immune system.

Author:
Exactly where did you receive your medical training?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:59:46 07/19/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: A "sniffle" in a healthy person will not compromise the health of someone, even a child with AIDS. If such were the case every health care worker would be required to wear not only gloves, but masks and they do not. The CDC would think your remarks are crazy, and spreading you misinformation can do damage.

Author:
Dr. Kenney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:33:43 07/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: You are crazy as hell. I'm guessing your degree is from the University of Tijuana?

Author:
malpractice
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:41:19 07/20/17 Thu

[> Subject: wearing a pair of hand gloves does not guarantee cleanliness. And let’s talk about food safety. Are you sure the hand gloves he is wearing are safe for handling food? Not all gloves are food safe unless they have compliance with accepted standards such as American FDA (Food & Drug Authority) food handling requirements. Many gloves may release unsafe materials to the food.

Author:
Dr.Kenney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:24:10 07/19/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: Everybody hold up. THESE WERE KIDS WITH HIV AND NOT AIDS. Huge difference. My best friend has been HIV positive for almost 26 years and is damn healthy. His T-cells are always in the 1500 range. To have AIDS your T-cell count needs to drop below 200. with medication you can live a very normal life with HIV, due the vast improvement on medication. Look at Magic Johnson, my friend and milllions of others. No, gloves are definitly not neccessary with people who have HIV, young or old.

Author:
Brian G.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:50:31 07/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Incorrect

Author:
precautions against spreading germs are always good.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:23:46 07/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Wrong! If that were the case every one serving you a meal, every hospital employee, and aid would wear gloves. THEY DON'T.

Author:
Brian G.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:24:55 07/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Hospital employees have certain standards of hygiene, down to sterile bathrooms. Goodness no wonder IMG wants braniacs. Pageant folks are a dumb bunch indeed.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:26:58 07/20/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Listen idiot, the post had to do with wearing gloves while serving food to hiv patients. You are the moron. Your silly comments about hospital employees have certain standards of hygiene is almost laughable. You're the dumb one on this subject. Stick to commenting on what you know best. Oh wait, that would be nothing.

Author:
lolling right back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:18:38 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: LOL ok yeah read this sub-response thread and let me know if I'm the reading comprehension challenged one. Think again.

Author:
lolling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:25:25 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I don't know what backwoods hospitals you've been in but I was hospitalized a few weeks ago in one of the leading facilities in this part of the country and the medical staff, cleaners and food attendants ALL wore gloves for my protection. Why? Because my immunity system is compromised due to stage 4 cancer.

Author:
better safe than sorry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:27:28 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: My father died of stage 4 cancer in San Francisco at a major hospital in the Bay Area. NO FRICKIN GLOVES!!

Author:
sick of the lies
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:50:41 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Maybe that's why he died?

Author:
just a thought...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:15:16 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: No you idiot. He had stomach cancer.

Author:
really
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:55:49 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Ah yes, San Francisco...as in California, the state that wanted Hillary Rotten Clinton as president.

Author:
Makes perfect sense now
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:50:36 07/21/17 Fri

[> Subject: Some of the ignorance sparked in this thread represents everything that is bad about this pageant message board.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:10:05 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> Subject: I agree. The beauty queen who has been criticized so strongly was only acting out of respect to children with compromised immune systems. She does not deserve to be raked over the coals by people who obviously have been misguided.

Author:
shame
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:18:32 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: I've worked in some of the best hospitals in California As a nurse in both ICU and occasionally ER we see people with HIV all the time. When we do it is usually not for having HIV, but is for another medical issue. We have an abundance of drugs to deal with HIV. We would always hear from the physicians that HIV is not going to kill you, but your diabetes or cancer can. Gloves were not worn when feeding patients in the hospital. We have cleansers outside every room that hospital workers and visitors use regularly..

Author:
Regina Mendoza
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:11:31 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: Another University of Tijuana grad

Author:
ole!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:49:05 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Actually studied at Arizona State. Your Univ. of Tijuana is a racist comment. They actually are state of art. Here's the link incase your interested.

Author:
Adios
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:32:37 07/21/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Oh, everything is racist to you people....

Author:
sayonara
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:40:01 07/22/17 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: "You people," another racist comment. Yup. your a racist.

Author:
call it as I see it.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:54:03 07/22/17 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Weren't you going to move to Canada after the election?

Author:
Snowflake
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:58:01 07/22/17 Sat

[> [> [> [> Subject: I'm glad health and patient care standards are much higher in my state!

Author:
whew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:38:15 07/22/17 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Actually my state of California has the highest standards.

Author:
Regina Mendoza, RN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:56:22 07/22/17 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: um, no.....unless you just happen to work in one of those backwoods clinic, which your posts seem to support.

Author:
liar, liar pants on fire
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:56:55 07/22/17 Sat

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.