VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: There's rumors they will only be a top ten at Miss Universe.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:17:35 10/03/17 Tue

This year they will only be a top ten at Miss Universe. They will follow the format of Miss USA. Source: Universal beauty on FB

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: I don't really care how many semi-finalists there are, but I'd prefer they ALL do swimsuit & gown & some short interview...then just cut it to five. These multiple eliminations just take up too much air time & are pointless...it doesn't create suspense for me, it creates annoyance.

Author:
Tiki-Java
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:56:27 10/05/17 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: I get it. But Tiki, the eliminations weren't thought up to keep you hooked, it was for the non-pageant fans, who apparently like elimination rounds. Or something like that.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:11:16 10/05/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: I prefer top 15, then everyone competing in EG and in SS. I would get rid of interview or something like last year, as English speaking becomes too much of a factor, a little clip would do. A longer interview, Q&A in top 5 is what I prefer. I remember many of these top 10s in mid to late 1990s and they were quite questionable, in terms of delegates that made it., 1998 especially seems below average. At least top 15 could reduce this bias, both competing in SS and EG and then top 5.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:36:27 10/05/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: You won't find out if someone can't talk if there is no interview. Waiting til T 5 is too late

Author:
Lois
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:31:50 10/06/17 Fri

[> Subject: If this rumour is true, that would be really unfortunate. With 80+ contestants they really need to have a Top 20. If IMG/MUO really want to keep the suspense and have multiple cuts (sigh...) then have a Top 20 for evening gown, cut that down to a Top 15 for for onstage interviews and a Top 5 for final question and crowning. They have 2 hours, possibly 3 to get it all done! Cut out the endless musical performances and sob stories. The viewers are there to see the contestants, not some D-list concert.

Author:
Tatia
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:57:38 10/05/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: *correction* That was suppose to read Top 10 for for swimsuit, Top 10 for onstage interview, Top 5 for final question and crowning.

Author:
Tatia
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:00:04 10/05/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: 2006 was the last Top 20 I'll ever need to see. Half or more will be random stories or fillers and you will know after the semi announcements who the winning girl likely will be. Plus to have to hear Ashley Graham ramble on and on during 20 stage presentations of "how PROUD she is of your GIRL" would be nauseating just like Carson K and Shando F were over a decade ago.

Author:
Top 20 is more like Top 5 and random fillers while contenders do the opening dances
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:53:30 10/05/17 Thu

[> Subject: Back when I was a wee lad (and a wee adult) there were only ten semifinalists and it seemed fine. But the difference was that the focus was on the actual pageant: i.e., swimsuit, evening gown, interviews, etc. These days, whatever the number of semifinalists, the emphasis is always in all the wrong places. I'd okay with only a Top 10 if they'd at least give us more than 2 seconds for each contestant during SS and EG.

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:24:49 10/05/17 Thu

Back when I was a wee lad (and a wee adult) there were only ten semifinalists and it seemed fine. But the difference was that the focus was on the actual pageant: i.e., swimsuit, evening gown, interviews, etc. These days, whatever the number of semifinalists, the emphasis is always in all the wrong places. I'd okay with only a Top 10 if they'd at least give us more than 2 seconds for each contestant during SS and EG.

[> [> Subject: I am afraid something like in mid-90s to 2002 would happen, top 10s that are clearly nowhere near being the real top 10, ladies that got in because of politics, high franchise fees and too much emphasis on interview/speaking English. Top 15 all the way, we will get a fairer pageant!

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:58:52 10/05/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Are you kidding me? Those years the ladies earned their titles on pure merit and charisma. Scores shown, no MUO meddling, and very few controversial winners. Nearly every winner for the decade were regarding as deserving their crowns. Maybe not universally, but by most with rare exceptions.

Author:
Top 10 were the creme de la creme
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:22:24 10/06/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: Honey. Look at the shape of Gul Panag, Neha Dhupia. Look at the lies of Anna Malova. Look at the faces and bodies of MANY of the semi-finalists and then compare them to the rest of the field. I feel like top 15s were more balanced in between 2003-2015, if only there was no pro-Latina bias, especially in the FINAL judging.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:01 10/06/17 Fri

[> Subject: I prefer this format. -- 12-9-6-3. The suspense builds during the night of the pageant.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:08:09 10/05/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: I don't. 15 to 5. LIke in the good old days.

Author:
pageant pearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:00:11 10/05/17 Thu

[> Subject: This is absolutely a welcome development. I can watch the Top 10 videos for at least an hour and Flo Ridas performance for 2 more hours. And a Top 10 means that Miss USA will have a small chance of entering the semis.

Author:
Miss Universe 1000 B.C.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:08:27 10/09/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: And don't forget, watching the swimsuit and evening gown competitions for a total of 30 seconds each, LOL.

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:16:59 10/09/17 Mon

And don't forget, watching the swimsuit and evening gown competitions for a total of 30 seconds each, LOL.

[> Subject: Why would many of the smaller countries send a representative when the odds get higher and higher to make it to the finals? Why would a new country enter a growing field (as is hoped for) if the chances for recognition are remote? These people aren't thinking long term. Look at Miss World, 120+ contestants and growing. They will announce a top 40 on the live telecast; not that the competition itself will be televised, but at least the odds of recognition are worth it.

Author:
Katie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:43:51 10/09/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: I've always wondered about this, even with a Top 15. For example, Miss Mauritius has a hell of a long trip no matter where the pageant is held but virtually no chance of appearing on TV for more than one second. I'm glad they send delegates every year, but I feel sort of sorry for them.

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:47:41 10/09/17 Mon

I've always wondered about this, even with a Top 15. For example, Miss Mauritius has a hell of a long trip no matter where the pageant is held but virtually no chance of appearing on TV for more than one second. I'm glad they send delegates every year, but I feel sort of sorry for them.

[> Subject: H A T E having only a Top 10. I actually much preferred sitting through a Top 20 a few years back. Too many phenomenal contestants are eliminated when you immediatly break into a Top 10. And lets face it... A 3 hour show with ten finalists is absurd.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:23:04 10/10/17 Tue

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.