VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Some people just do not get it.

Author:
Reality Check
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 05:16:02 10/12/17 Thu

Some people do not care about state hopping. Some think that it is ok to state hop. That is their opinion and they are entitled to that opinion.

My feeling is that it is all about state pride. We are so excited when are state performs well. We have the right to brag that one of our home-state girls won the title. This is why I am against state hopping. I want someone who is truly from my state representing our state. It is all about state pride. It diminishes the win for me when a girl from another state wins my state's title.

Some people do not get that and that is their right. I just want to be able to say a true resident of my state has won the title.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Agree - It is a shame & obvious the crown chaser/state hoppers are desperate for a crown no matter the cost.

Author:
Sad sad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:07:04 10/12/17 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: new Miss Oregon's residency http://katu.com/news/local/new-miss-oregons-residency-questioned

Author:
cat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:41:10 10/12/17 Thu

[> Subject: Pageants are business and to me it is bad business. A girl who resides in a place is going to do appearances(at least they should) Visibility, marketing and growth...that is what makes successful business. Pageants are dying because women who win aren't getting out to parades and functions like they once did....no one is cultivating the next batch of contestants! So yes if you are from California and win in Oregon, good for you bad for Oregon and building up their program.I'm old school pageant but I wish girls were actually judged on their true involvement in growing a program either via social media or appearances. Actually be a representative! It is one of the reasons I actual like Miss World. Don't just sell me YOUR story, sell me the system!!!

Author:
Old School
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:43:00 10/12/17 Thu

[> Subject: Bottom line, if state hopping were such a non-issue more statehoppers would proudly be running around saying "I just got two forms of documentation!!!" but they don't. They post curated local shots, some going so far and predating their intentions to compete others just not even bothering and posting from their real homes up until the pageant (Miss USVI and Miss Minnesota USA anyone...). And without fail, they hightail it back to their home state as soon as they check out of the pageant. Would love a statehopper to just put it out there. But they don't....

Author:
Ask them why rather than simply attack those voicing their opinions as a jealous loser/mom/whatever other juvenile response on why it bothers them
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:11:27 10/12/17 Thu

[> Subject: HAHA. I hate spell check. It changed my "our" to "are." I swear my grammar is not that bad.

Author:
Reality Check
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:16:32 10/12/17 Thu

[> Subject: Hey reality check...you say those of us who don't think state hopping is a big deal are entitled to our opinions, just like you are. But then you say we don't get it. So what it is reality check?

Author:
Nobody except about 10 people who read this board care about state hopping. NOBODY BUT YOU 10 AGREE.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:28:57 10/12/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: As I said, you are entitled to your opinion. I may not agree with it, but it is your right to have that opinion.

Author:
REALITY CHECK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:48:28 10/12/17 Thu

[> Subject: The women who use a state to get a crown are shallow & deparate. If they need a crown to make them whole, let them incur the expense of two addresses & cost of travel & embarrasment when asked about their “home” state. It just may be time, as someone else here mentioned - open up all states .. maybe Alaska or Maine or even Oregon will get a winner.

Author:
UR Right NoOneCares
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:25:13 10/12/17 Thu

[> Subject: You say you want someone "truly from your state." This raises the question of what the requirements should be. Should she have to be born in the state? Should she have to have lived in state full-time for 10 years? What about girls who live in one state but go to college elsewhere? Are they disqualified from either state? It's one thing to talk about a "home-state girl," but I think it is much harder to define exactly what that means.

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:49:46 10/12/17 Thu

You say you want someone "truly from your state." This raises the question of what the requirements should be. Should she have to be born in the state? Should she have to have lived in state full-time for 10 years? What about girls who live in one state but go to college elsewhere? Are they disqualified from either state? It's one thing to talk about a "home-state girl," but I think it is much harder to define exactly what that means.

[> [> Subject: Very good points all around!!

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:06:31 10/12/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: The crux of the matter is not how old the driver's lic is (6 mos to a year) - it's the math. Hard to put together living in the state six months to a year (concurrent has always been the assumption) when they are a full-time student & works in another state.

Author:
MathDoesNotAddUp
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:09:25 10/13/17 Fri

[> Subject: Thank you for your opinion. In theory, I agree with you. It would be nice if all of the eventual winners were from, and currently residing, in the state they are representing. HOWEVER, IMG and MUO are in charge, not pageant fans. They make the rules, set the requirements, and ultimately are the deciding factor regarding who is eligible. If a contestant is determined to be eligible, regardless of how angry the pageant community is over it, thats it. She's is. She's eligible. She's fair game. So again, I would like to say that Miss Louisiana is from Louisiana. But we follow the law of the land. If my state director says the winner is eligible (even if I know she may or may not live in Alaska), I accept the results and move forward supporting her throughout her reign.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:25:12 10/13/17 Fri

[> Subject: When I worked for the census, the determining factor of residency (and where you are counted) is where you sleep on a regular basis as of April 1st. When you lay out and evaluate all of the particulars, the answer is easily established.

Author:
Katie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:27:35 10/13/17 Fri

[> Subject: I'm glad my state reps are usually from here - and they go all over the state for events. I don't know why it bothers me, but state hopping does - it just signals desperation in my mind, and sorry, I don't think desperation should be rewarded.

Author:
Sheesh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:37:24 10/13/17 Fri

Just my .02 cents.

[> Subject: When I read these people who complain about state hopping all I can think about is how they are just upset that they can't beat the winner. Who cares? Trying to keep good people out of your state so you can have a chance is silly. So you win and clap at USA. What is the point? While I don't want them to go to an open format I wouldn't hate it just to shut these state hopping people up once and for all. Either up your game or shut up.

Author:
tired of these conversations about this
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:20:22 10/14/17 Sat

[> [> Subject: Oregon had strong contestants that had game! Honestly the maority of the audience was very surprised that Toneata won! I think the directors had something to do with her win. If you look at Toneata's social media, I think the directors think that Toneata's modeling/acting experience will get her attention at USA. So sad! Most people had 2nd or 1st runner up as the winner!

Author:
NM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:09:49 10/18/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: they do not get it because they do not want to

Author:
coleen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:28:09 10/18/17 Wed

[> Subject: What if someone is born and raised in a state (say OH), moves to California, but then competes in Ohio since it's her original home state / likely has parents and family there?

Author:
That makes sense to me - I'd rather have a "state hopper" if they're originally from the state that the sash reads.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:23:14 10/14/17 Sat

[> [> Subject: To me, this points out how silly the whole argument is. Suppose someone was born in Ohio and lived there till she was 3. Then the family moved to Indiana and she lived there through high school. Then she went to Nebraska to go to college, but meanwhile her family moved to Delaware. What is her "original" state? I think many people have lives like this nowadays and there aren't so many people that have deep roots in a single place anymore. That's one reason why I just don't fret about the state-hopping issue.

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:45:14 10/14/17 Sat

To me, this points out how silly the whole argument is. Suppose someone was born in Ohio and lived there till she was 3. Then the family moved to Indiana and she lived there through high school. Then she went to Nebraska to go to college, but meanwhile her family moved to Delaware. What is her "original" state? I think many people have lives like this nowadays and there aren't so many people that have deep roots in a single place anymore. That's one reason why I just don't fret about the state-hopping issue.

[> [> [> Subject: Concentrate on the definition of “Resident”

Author:
SadOregonian
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:36:01 10/15/17 Sun

[> Subject: Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah like a broken record

Author:
k
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:18:44 10/15/17 Sun

l

[> [> Subject: Residency = where you spend 75% of your year because that is where you will make appearances! So if you are from a state and go to college in another but want to represent your state, transfer!

Author:
Easy fix
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:55:05 10/18/17 Wed

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.