VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Miss Universe 1977

Author:
Wow
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:27:06 12/03/17 Sun

I think Janelle "Penny" Commissiong's win was very historic. I remember living in Africa and it was a huge, huge deal.

Look how calm she is during her interview with Johnny Carson.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Not all Miss Universes back then were invited to the Tonight Show. Carson was huge back then and this interview was a huge landmark for the organization. I think perhaps Penny being the first black Miss Universe was a big entry point. She looks quite beautiful in this video and with very little makeup.

Author:
LaRealitéD’HierCeLaRealitéD’Aujourd’Hui
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:45:53 12/05/17 Tue

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Put this in historical context: Penny won seven years beore Vanessa Williams win at Miss America.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:02:12 12/05/17 Tue

[> Subject: she seems rather bored with the whole situation; personality on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 3

Author:
expected more
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:05:49 12/06/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: This is true by today's standards. But back then, that was a much more typical way for a titleholder to behave (i.e., they were more "reserved.") Nowadays when a titleholder is asked a question, we expect a barrage of perky chatter, but that is an effect of how media has changed. I don't think someone watching this clip in 1977 would have thought she seemed bored.

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:24:32 12/06/17 Wed

This is true by today's standards. But back then, that was a much more typical way for a titleholder to behave (i.e., they were more "reserved.") Nowadays when a titleholder is asked a question, we expect a barrage of perky chatter, but that is an effect of how media has changed. I don't think someone watching this clip in 1977 would have thought she seemed bored.

[> Subject: The night she won she was sensational. She immediately thereafter never lived up to to that performance. Her personality seemed bland and uninterested.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:40:03 12/06/17 Wed

[> Subject: Wow, where's her personality? If I were the head of the pageant organization I would be so nervous future winners appearances would be in jeaporady after that. She spent the first 5 minutes complaining about getting lost. Awful.

Author:
TX fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:15:32 12/06/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: As I said above, I think people are judging her by today's standards of how titleholders usually act. Back then, titleholders were typically more demure and "ladylike."

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:18:49 12/06/17 Wed

As I said above, I think people are judging her by today's standards of how titleholders usually act. Back then, titleholders were typically more demure and "ladylike."

[> [> [> Subject: I completely agree with Old Timer. Different era, different kind of winner, different expectations. The social media didn't exist back then. TX Fan, your worries are pointless. Janelle was a sweet spirit that went on to do lots of good for her country and literally began to change the face of pageantry.

Author:
A true beauty.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:32:52 12/09/17 Sat

[> Subject: Here's a link to a relatively recent interview with Janelle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1UUBLdTzOs

Author:
GoldenBoy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:36:43 12/07/17 Thu

[> Subject: I found her to be lackluster. She seemed uninterested to be there. I guess I would be, too, getting stuck in traffic for two hours. Pretty girl, though.

Author:
HIM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:56:40 12/08/17 Fri

Last edited by author: Fri December 08, 2017 21:04:21   Edited 1 time.

[> Subject: Booooooooorring! Zero personality, even by ancient standards.

Author:
TST . . .
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:35:41 12/09/17 Sat

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.