VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: South Africa did not have a rep at MU from 1985-1994. Margaret had difficulty getting a Visa to Mexico because of the apartheid issue.

Author:
John O.
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:50:27 12/04/17 Mon
In reply to: johnnycbeegood 's message, "That was a very strange year. If you remember there was a lot of protest about South Africa even being allowed to compete because of Apartheid. When it got to the top five I thought USA was going to take it but then she totally blew the final question. But even then when it got down to her and South Africa I thought they would for sure avoid controvesry and give it to USA. But much to my sutpise they gave it to South Africa and I remember they did take quite a bit of heat for that Somebody please refresh my memory. Wasn't South Africa barred from competing after that until Apartheid was ended?" on 09:23:52 12/04/17 Mon

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: I always thought the BIG story was that people in South Africa were pissed that Margaret was crowned by a Black woman. And, in this video, you can see that there isn't the normal sisterly love expressed between the outgoing and incoming queen. It is almost scary.

Author:
SeminoleNation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:09:21 12/04/17 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Based on what you wrote, I thought it would be more bizarre... but it wasn't... It was an awkward situation to both of them, the first black MU and the first SA MU during Apartheid. They both handled it well, yes... there were no hugs etc, but it did not really look that awkward.., if you put two other countries in, and one Black and one White delegate, I doubt it would have looked much different, especially with that many people on that stage.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:45:38 12/04/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: Hmm. Again, hmm.

Author:
SeminoleNation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:46:27 12/04/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: It WAS bizarre.

Author:
SeminoleNation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:53:33 12/06/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Zuleyka crowning Riyo was more bizarre. Just because it was a strange political situation, I won't follow groupthink and claim it was bizarre just for the sake of it.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:09:10 12/07/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: It was bizarre and awkward. "Groupthink" is irrelevant. Apartheid was at play.

Author:
SeminoleNation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:47:38 12/09/17 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I dont see the "awkward" you are implying. Yes, the situation may have been uncomfortable. But I think both young ladies look very nice and presented very well. I also dont like the notion that South Africa shouldnt have won based on political issues back at home. I dont think pageants and politics should ever mix. May the best girl win.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:22:36 12/10/17 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: My usage of the word "awkward" is not based on politics. And, for the record, awkward is defined as causing difficulty; hard to deal with. When you get the chance, look up the word you used (uncomfortable). Let me give you a heads up; awkward is a term often used to describe uncomfortable. I would argue with you more and ask you to explain your lame point, but I'm not that dude. Still, thanks for trying.

Author:
SeminoleNation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:42:16 12/11/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. I stand by my comments. Doesnt look awkward, but they may have felt uncomfortable. :)

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:43 12/11/17 Mon

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.