VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Contestants who won the pageant with the final question.

Author:
REALITY CHECK
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 05:19:27 01/11/18 Thu

There have been a few contestants that came from no where to win the pageant with the final question. The obvious answer is Brook Lee. I will never forget, "I would eat everything in the world. You do not understand. I would eat everything twice." This cinched the pageant for Brook. She may not have been the most beautiful Miss Universe but she was by far one of the best personalities.

What other contestants won with their final answer?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Olivia Jordan.

Author:
Because it's sure she didn't win with her face.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:35:33 01/11/18 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: I disagree. People were looking at Olivia Jordan years before she won Miss USA based on her sunkissed beach vibe and her great figure. She was a frontrunner at Miss USA, and I think she sealed the deal in evening gown. Loved or hated her dress, she stood out and was rewarded for it.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:55:54 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Same, I thought Olivia Jordan was a fave from the start, going back to her be crowned OK USA 2015. I know some feel she is weak facially, but I don't I think she is beautiful all around and going back to what Shandi and Susie said in their wrap up video to Miss USA 2015, Olivia wanted to be Miss USA 2015, she went all out in her training and preparation. In skimming my head of Miss USA 2015 contestants at the end of the day there were only a handful who I thought would be strong Miss USA winners, sure I had many who I thought were Top 15/Top 10 worthy, but overall there were only 4-5 girls I thought were Miss USA. To me Olivia Jordan was one of the strongest Miss USA campaigns for Miss Universe, I had her 1st RU to Pia after Dominican Republic was eliminated.

Author:
No Joke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:42:42 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Totally agree. She was my pic to win even before arrivals - same with Shandi, Kandace, Olivia Culpo and yes, Susie.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:56:44 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Olivia Jordan NAILED her final answer in an echelon way above her fellow competitors, IIRC

Author:
IMHO
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:37:34 01/17/18 Wed

[> [> Subject: I don't know if she won it on the final question but she was certainly 10 X better than all of the other in the 5 and it showed. The others came off as dumb from what I remember.

Author:
no name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:25:04 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Olivia Jordan is not pretty but she likes to bs everyone beside the girl is hated by everyone just because she is mean pageants girls know that girl well !!!

Author:
Sophie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:31:31 01/12/18 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: I don't think she's a beauty in the classic sort of way, however she has sex appeal and some people can get over on that. My comment was just about her answering the questions. She sounded like a rocket scientist compared to the other 4.

Author:
---
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:27:50 01/12/18 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: not a beauty in the classic sort of way = no business to be a beauty queen

Author:
you wonder why people are not interested in beauty pageants when pageant queens are not even beautiful
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:11:55 01/15/18 Mon

[> [> Subject: I like Olivia J but girl yelled her answers in both pageants. I was all you ain't MLK chill out.

Author:
possum
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:35:40 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> Subject: She flat out LOST Miss Universe because of her stumbling to get through a simple gun control question. I smiled the whole time she stuttered. You could she it on her face that she knew she bombed. Her "speech" response too was quite enjoyable. "Be more than pretty" right? hahaha

Author:
lassie poo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:54:13 01/16/18 Tue

[> Subject: For me, it was Mpule in 1999. I was happy to see Mpule in the Top 10, but my focus was on Venezuela, Philippines, and Spain. Mpule was just another girl in the mix. Then she edged out Venezuela for a Top 3 spot. And then she NAILED it.

Author:
SeminoleNation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:47:43 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> Subject: I couldn't agree more. What I loved about the 1999 pageant was how diverse the semifinalists were (without ramming it down our throats), and that there didn't seem to be a predestined winner. Well, it was a good night for Spain, as she won swimsuit and evening gown rounds, but Philippines quietly snuck her way to 2nd place by first placing fifth in the top five then third in the top three. India and Puerto Rico excelled in interview but not so much in swimsuit and evening gown. South Africa was great up until the top five interview. Botswana didn't seem like she was in the running until the final question. Great year!

Author:
HelloTeddy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:25:02 01/11/18 Thu

[> Subject: 1) Margaret Gardiner: Certainly a frontrunner in 1978, who scored among the top delegates on the night, but the mega-favourites that year were USA, Sweden and Colombia; Margaret's outstanding final answer sealed the deal for her. 2) Michelle McLean: She was second in prelims and did not win any of the semi-final rounds on the night; when Venezuela was eliminated, Colombia (who won the semi-final interview round) gave a weaker answer to the final question, and India (who nailed the top-6 judge's question) faltered in the final question, it paved the way for Michelle to win with her straightforward answer that she actually ended up following through with during and after her reign.

Author:
MDS
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:51:52 01/11/18 Thu

[> Subject: Brook Lee, Shannon Marketic

Author:
Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:12:47 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> Subject: I think Brook and Shannon would have won anyway but their final answer sealed it

Author:
catalina
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:13 01/15/18 Mon

[> Subject: This goes waaay back yet Spain's Amparo Munoz gave an outstanding final answer upon emerging from the isolation booth. My mother, brother, & myself were watching and listening intensely -- we agreed she nailed her final question with her response winning her the crown of Miss Universe 1974. On the other side of the spectrum, California's Summer Bartholomew misunderstood the question, Bob Barker corrected her, then Summer gave a brief response to answer on point. Regardless, Summer won Miss USA 1975. (The judges must've been extremely loyal to her, overlooking her gaffe.)

Author:
JMH -- does anyone else remember this far back?!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:05:34 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> Subject: I do remember that far back (and farther, LOL). One thing I recall is that in those days they used to say that contestants were not judged on the content of their answers, but on their poise and grace and beauty (or something to that effect). It seems strange now, but I think it mattered less back then if you said something idiotic as long as you said *something* and smiled nicely.

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:05:36 01/11/18 Thu

I do remember that far back (and farther, LOL). One thing I recall is that in those days they used to say that contestants were not judged on the content of their answers, but on their poise and grace and beauty (or something to that effect). It seems strange now, but I think it mattered less back then if you said something idiotic as long as you said *something* and smiled nicely.

[> Subject: Olivia Culpo at Miss USA

Author:
nailed it
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:26:17 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> Subject: and Universe. Olivia was a confident speaker and sounded like she really believed what she said. She was a natural.

Author:
possum
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:00:52 01/11/18 Thu

[> Subject: I remember how Stefania used the interpreter to her advantage at MU 2009. Most other contestants who have ever used an interpreter just spill out their whole answer and hope that the interpreter will remember everything and translate correctly. But I remember how Stefania was so confident and broke up her answer into little chunks, and waited for the dude to translate each bit. She was a surprise winner to a lot of people (me included) but I think that sealed it for her.

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:59:40 01/11/18 Thu

I remember how Stefania used the interpreter to her advantage at MU 2009. Most other contestants who have ever used an interpreter just spill out their whole answer and hope that the interpreter will remember everything and translate correctly. But I remember how Stefania was so confident and broke up her answer into little chunks, and waited for the dude to translate each bit. She was a surprise winner to a lot of people (me included) but I think that sealed it for her.

[> [> Subject: keyley Sanders miss teen usa 1995..otherwise Maine would have won

Author:
catalina
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:59:22 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> Subject: I could not agree more.. she definitely won it at te very end. I donít think the judges have any intention to crown another Venezuelan that year but she used the interpreter very well and the judges just split as they did not have tiime to agree on who will be the winner. Stephania probably did not receive the higher mark from any judge because they did not have intention to crown her but overall she won While half of the judges voted higher for A and the other half for B.. I love how she did not take any chance with the interpreter and at some point even point him with her mouth pushing him to translate her

Author:
Leo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:53:26 01/12/18 Fri

[> Subject: 1. Sushmita in 1994. She was definitely a dark horse. No one expected India to win that night and you can hear everyone in the crowd was cheering for Colombia (I don't get her beauty). 2. Mpule in 1999. I saw Spain taking it all. Then I felt Philippines had it in the bag after the Top 5 interviews, only to choke in the Final Q&A. 3. Leila in 2011. While there really is nothing groundbreaking in her response, the cheers from the crowd for every word coming out of her mouth made her win. 4. PIa in 2015. Compared with Ariadna and Oliva's responses, Pia's final answer was quite impacting.

Author:
just my thoughts
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:23:46 01/11/18 Thu

[> Subject: To some extent, Kandace Krueger. It was Larissa Meek's night till she bombed the top five question. Granted, Kandace's swimsuit and evening gown scores were just right behind Larissa's so it wouldn't be accurate to say she came out of nowhere. Had Larissa managed to get in the top three, Kandace would have still given her a run for her money.

Author:
HelloTeddy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:55:50 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> Subject: I don't know... Larissa was far ahead, if she gave a weak but acceptable answer, she'd still have won. That year, she was clearly the favorite on this message board and that translated into the final night... What is really sad though is that she was from St, Louis area and could have mentioned Jackie Joyner Kersee, also from that area, and it would have been a perfect answer.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:42:27 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Yeah, such a shame that year. If only she had picked Kandace's judge and vice versa.

Author:
HelloTeddy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:39:01 01/11/18 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: The original question was "Is the media's need for controversy bad for sports" - that has nothing to do with sports figures and everything to do with the media and controversy. She wasn't prepared and wasn't really listening. She started well and then got scared. It was only after she messed up that he gave her a second chance. So she should not have won.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:45:36 01/12/18 Fri

[> Subject: Charlotte Lopez at Miss Teen USA 1993

Author:
Groove (NSI)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:01:07 01/12/18 Fri

[> Subject: Margaret Gorman won on the final question I believe.

Author:
I think it was about women's suffrage.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:33:24 01/12/18 Fri

[> [> Subject: Haha, she was the first ever Miss America in the 1920s...

Author:
I suppose you mean Margaret Gardiner? :.)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:48:33 01/12/18 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: Nope. It was a joke.

Author:
geez
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:00:53 01/13/18 Sat

[> Subject: Mindy Duncan and

Author:
Ruth Zakarian
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:12:45 01/12/18 Fri

[> [> Subject: Gloria Diaz, too

Author:
From what Iíve read
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:59:19 01/14/18 Sun

[> Subject: no that they weren't onthe radar screen but I feel Erin Brady and Deshuana Barber and to some extent Nia Sanchez all won it on the final question

Author:
IMHO
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:41:44 01/16/18 Tue

[> [> Subject: Erin Brady was quite good. MMM (Alabama) and South Carolina couldn't have produced dumber responses than they did.

Author:
imo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:55:39 01/16/18 Tue

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (VoyUser only):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.