VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]
Subject: A serious question on predetermining a winner...

Author:
Old timer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:23:57 03/19/18 Mon

In the other thread on DeShauna and Kara, several people said they felt the results were predetermined by IMG/MUO. And I can understand that. But here's my question...

If you believe the winner is predetermined, how do you think they do it? In other words, does someone from IMG/MUO tell the judges something like "We'd really like DC to win this year!" Or do they change the scores? Or are the judges just for show and have no say whatsoever?

This is a serious question. If you are going to fix a pageant to have a particular winner, how do you do it?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: I think the judges are there for show. They do not show each judges score so this would be a easy thing to do

Author:
catalina
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:20:42 03/19/18 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: That could be possible... but are the scores fixed prior to being turned over to Ernst & Young?

Author:
HelloTeddy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:09:46 03/20/18 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: I think only the top 5 actually gets judged, and that's the only time you see E&Y bring up an envelope to the hosts. The top 15, 10, 5 are all predetermined and only the scores to determine the actual winner are calculated.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:15:21 03/20/18 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: This is why I'm curious as to how this would work. It's easy to say "the pageant was rigged" or "MUO had it all set for Deshauna/Kara to win," etc. But the reality of making that happen is complicated. Is Ernst & Young in on it? Presumably not, so maybe your theory that the judges only do the Top 5 is correct. But then they would have to be told beforehand who IMG/MUO wants to win... hmmm...

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:21:43 03/20/18 Tue

This is why I'm curious as to how this would work. It's easy to say "the pageant was rigged" or "MUO had it all set for Deshauna/Kara to win," etc. But the reality of making that happen is complicated. Is Ernst & Young in on it? Presumably not, so maybe your theory that the judges only do the Top 5 is correct. But then they would have to be told beforehand who IMG/MUO wants to win... hmmm...

[> Subject: We know for certain the live finalists are pre determined (all or a certain number). During the live show, I think the judges score actually counts but there is someone who reviews the list at each cut. I think it is more than Paula and her team are promoting the story, diversity, body image narrative. So naturally Deshauna and Kara won on story. Universe is tricky because they still need to appeal to the masses.

Author:
Vegas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:30:25 03/20/18 Tue

[> Subject: I've pondered this for years. I think the judges are there for show only. I think the organization can announce any finalists they want, crown anyone they want, any time they want to. I believe the 2012 "list" supposedly seen by Sheena Monin. I believe she saw it but didn't have proof, and I believe that, in typical of his style, the later-to-be POTUS 45 sued the sh**t out of her to keep he quiet.

Author:
Lifelong Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:15:56 03/20/18 Tue

[> Subject: from someone who works where prizes are given out

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:44:33 03/20/18 Tue

there are all kinds of government regulations and paperwork that is required when a prize is offered in a contest. And there are auditors that make sure we do what we say we're doing. The contest rules must be published and we must follow them and if we don't we can be fined.
Somewhere there must be official judging guidelines so that a contestant is fully aware. The pageant must follow those guidelines.

[> Subject: We know that MUO is a voter. What we don't know is how much their vote counts - or how it is figured in. For all we know, MUO has 80% of the vote, or perhaps they can veto 1,2,3 individuals. We have no idea. Unless they publish the criteria - it could be anything.

Author:
And.... they don't publish the criteria. This is where fairy tales meet cold dispassionate business.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:14 03/20/18 Tue

[> [> Subject: That is a good point, and I think it is where the pageant has lost a lot of credibility in recent years. Back in the day, they used to make a big deal about the scoring and judging and explaining how it was done, etc. I may have disagreed with the choice of a winner, but I was always pretty confident that the judges actually chose her. These days, it feels like anything is possible, since nothing is transparent anymore.

Author:
Old timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:26:15 03/20/18 Tue

That is a good point, and I think it is where the pageant has lost a lot of credibility in recent years. Back in the day, they used to make a big deal about the scoring and judging and explaining how it was done, etc. I may have disagreed with the choice of a winner, but I was always pretty confident that the judges actually chose her. These days, it feels like anything is possible, since nothing is transparent anymore.

[> [> [> Subject: Miss USA is like Roller Derby, we knew it was fixed but it was a guilty pleasure. The final question is a lot easier under IMG than under Trump. Someone suggested, that some contestants have a general idea which questions maybe asked under IMG. Under Trump, I think the final questions were unrehearsed.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:14:07 03/20/18 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: that really is a bad idea. When she wins she could put her foot in her mouth; so many do under pressure. For some reason I had not thought about the fact that MUO has a votr ( and no one says how much it counts for) so it could be done easily if they have say 80% of the vote. At this point I do not know why anyone would invest so much in this.

Author:
catalina
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:10:14 03/20/18 Tue

[> Subject: Is there still a judges briefing prior to the pageant? I recall there used to be but haven't heard of one in several years. I believe the judges agree to a gag order since we never hear any of them show admiration to any of the delegates other than the winner. The last time I can recall a judge praising a non-winning delegate was Dave Navarro back in 2007 when he publicly stated he was rooting for Puja Gupta (India) for the win.

Author:
Gigi Hadidn't
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:55:25 03/24/18 Sat

Post a message:
This forum requires a VoyUser account to post.
If you want to sign up, please use this form to request
your free code which you can use to sign up for an account.

Existing accounts: [ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.