VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Miss Cambodia misunderstanding

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:21:12 12/12/18 Wed

Controversy has now hit the Miss Universe pageant in Thailand. A video surface of a tearful Miss Cambodia doing a live in her Facebook talking about being mock for not speaking English. Two of the contestants apologized to her, and the misunderstanding has cleared up. If you now go to the Miss Universe official page, there's a prominent photo of Miss Cambodia posted.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: I actually think Miss Cambodia is one of the most beautiful contestants in the pageant. It's an international event. There are no requirements a contestant must speak English, French, or any other language.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:45:22 12/12/18 Wed

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Years ago, I always relished the moment when they brought in the Berlitz translators onto the Miss Universe stage. I agree PageantPearl this year's Cambodia is stunning.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:10:04 12/12/18 Wed

[> Subject: We seem to forget that many Miss Universe winners of years past did not speak english. During their reign however, they managed to learn a little english. I would NEVER vote against a Miss Universe candidate on the basis of speaking of english or not.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:15:42 12/12/18 Wed

[> Subject: Yipes, it was actually Miss USA who started the whole controversy, which surprised me. (You can find the video on YouTube.) However, her comments about Miss Cambodia were meant to be sympathetic to her; i.e., it must be so difficult to be in a situation where you are the only person who speaks your language. I don't think she meant to be catty at all, but her tone may have come off that way. I would have expected Sarah to say it in a better way. In any case, it seems like it's all been patched up between them.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:50:04 12/12/18 Wed

Yipes, it was actually Miss USA who started the whole controversy, which surprised me. (You can find the video on YouTube.) However, her comments about Miss Cambodia were meant to be sympathetic to her; i.e., it must be so difficult to be in a situation where you are the only person who speaks your language. I don't think she meant to be catty at all, but her tone may have come off that way. I would have expected Sarah to say it in a better way. In any case, it seems like it's all been patched up between them.

[> [> Subject: Doot, do you think this controversy actually helps Miss Cambodia in the end? Will she get one of those coveted top 20 slots?

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:04:39 12/12/18 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: It's hard to say. She might have gotten one of the spots anyway, since she is very beautiful. I guess the same question applies to Spain. I'm just not sure how much controversy counts these days. It seems like MUO/IMG will do anything to get viewers to stay tuned. I don't think too many people know about the Miss Cambodia thing (except die hard fans) but lots of people have probably heard about Miss Spain. What do you think?

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:15:54 12/12/18 Wed

It's hard to say. She might have gotten one of the spots anyway, since she is very beautiful. I guess the same question applies to Spain. I'm just not sure how much controversy counts these days. It seems like MUO/IMG will do anything to get viewers to stay tuned. I don't think too many people know about the Miss Cambodia thing (except die hard fans) but lots of people have probably heard about Miss Spain. What do you think?

[> [> [> [> Subject: I think Cambodia makes top twenty for two reasons, her outstanding beauty and perhaps the sympathy factor.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:06:12 12/12/18 Wed

[> Subject: That sucks, but watch her advance because of it.

Author:
Broccoli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:21:35 12/12/18 Wed

[> [> Subject: Miss Cambodia's beautiful. She runs circles around Miss Spain, who reminds me of an adolescent boy in a wig all made up. I'm all for gay and transgendered rights. I just don't find her beautiful.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:05:34 12/12/18 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Ya lost me there. Where was Miss Spain mentioned in this post? LOL!

Author:
Broccoli
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:02:33 12/17/18 Mon

[> Subject: Is there a link to her FB live? I think thats unfortunate.. I hope Sarah didnt mean to bully her, I think she meant to express a different thought but the tone came out differently

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:06:58 12/12/18 Wed

[> [> Subject: Here is the video link of Miss USA commenting about Miss Cambodia's lack of english. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLfK4SI1OJY

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:13:22 12/12/18 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Not a good look for the delegates in this video. If the higher ups at MUO have seen this, this could impact the semifinal selection.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:04:48 12/12/18 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Yikes! I couldn't watch till the end because I really thought Sarah could win Miss Congeniality. I hope all the girls involved have made amends with Cambodia.

Author:
Lace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:51:26 12/13/18 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Looks like the video was already taken down. I mean, how bad did Sarah sound??

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:44:11 12/13/18 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Video is still there. Depending on how you interpret it, (mostly) Sarah is surprised that Miss Cambodia doesn't speak English who just nods at the end of conversations. She finds it adorable, but her tone came off as somewhat catty to me. Not every contestant speaks English, why is she so surprised? Sarah hugs Miss Cambodia at the end (some say looks forced) and tries to talk to her using her phone to translate

Author:
Lace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:26:34 12/13/18 Thu

[> Subject: She wasn't making fun of Cambodia. She actually felt sorry for her because no one could understand her and it must be sad for her. And, the last thing she said was that Cambodia was adorable. Talk about myaking something out of nothing, and I really care for MUSA..

Author:
robbinsgh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:25:44 12/12/18 Wed

[> [> Subject: *making. Meant I don't really care for USA.

Author:
robbinsgh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:28:07 12/12/18 Wed

[> Subject: If you go to Critical Beauty on Facebook you will see that Miss USA also has a potty mouth. Apparently on her own instagram she told someone "Fuck you!"

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:11:56 12/13/18 Thu

[> Subject: I'd love to see CAMBODIA place; not only is she beautiful, but my soft spots are typically for the non-sashers.

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:45:16 12/13/18 Thu

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
If you want to sign up, please use this form to request
your free code which you can use to sign up for an account.

Existing accounts: [ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.