VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Miss Universe 2018 review

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:07:49 12/17/18 Mon

A few thoughts on the pageant...

The Good
- I liked the big stage with the X runways.
- They finally are giving contestants a little more time with swimsuit and evening gown; the past few years felt so rushed.
- I think that was a very worthy winner, a completely legitimate Top 5, and I can't really object to anyone in the Top 20. I was just surprised Ecuador and India were passed over.
- They seem to have (finally!) coached the contestants about how to use an interpreter and how to break up their thoughts into smaller bits.
- I loved that they took some time to acknowledge Spain. That was probably my favorite moment of the pageant.

The Bad
- Like everyone else, I hate the regional Top 20.
- In intros, I wish they had the contestants at least say their names.
- At first I didn't like the idea of breaking up the intros by regions, but when there are 94 contestants I can understand that they wanted to break it up a bit.
- Steve Harvey. Enough already. I am so tired of the jokes about his "error." To me, the host should be more or less invisible and just keep things running.

The Weird
- Not sure what I think of the personal statements (or whatever they were called). I like the idea that we get to hear the semifinalists speak, but this felt super awkward to me and it smacks of Miss America. And I don't like cutting half of the contestants just based on this 15-second blurb. It seems like most of the judges probably knew who they wanted in the Top 10 anyway and made the cut based on that, rather than anything that happened in the short speech.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Totally agree with the weird part. Seems like the judges already made up their minds for who to make the top 10. They should have all 20 compete in gown and swimsuit and three cut it to a top 7/8 for judges question.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:50:43 12/17/18 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: It took far too much time calling the top 20. That time could have easily been allocated to allowing the Top 20 to compete in both swimsuit and evening gown. I am fine with the 15 second introduction, but get rid of the lame conversation the contestants have with Steve when each is called into the Top 20. Also, eliminate the final round and have the top 5 compete in both Q&A rounds. Showcase the delegates more!

Author:
MLB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:15:33 12/17/18 Mon

[> Subject: DOOT! OMG i agree with your comments 100%! I could not have said it better.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:53:55 12/17/18 Mon

[> Subject: Yeah, they need a new m/c because the jokes were cringe worthy throughout, they need someone who can be more conversational with the contestants, seriously the jokes Steve was trying to make were falling flat and the contestants looked flustered at times, Vietnam, Indonesia and Laos when she was being awarded Best National Costume, the exchange was totally awkward. And I believe it was Venezuela or a Latina trying to speak English that was looking for the right word and she kind of looked at Steve with a "help me out" look. Dick Clark (RIP) was very good at helping out girls when they got into English word jams (USSR 1991).

Author:
ValeneEwing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:57:18 12/17/18 Mon

[> Subject: MU always selects a random girl to interview right before evening gown, and that girl always ends up winning MU.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:53 12/17/18 Mon

[> [> Subject: True again lol. I noticed that during the telecast and I was like this is her crown to lose lol

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:19:28 12/17/18 Mon

[> Subject: I love the stage! Also loved the swim and gown segments. All around A+. Hates: Steve Harvey, videos for intros, Carson/Lu/Ashley. What I also didn't like was how the pageant was about who will be 2nd & 3rd place. Philippines just seemed too obvious. I like her a lot but I found myself wanting an upset just for thrill.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:53:32 12/17/18 Mon

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
If you want to sign up, please use this form to request
your free code which you can use to sign up for an account.

Existing accounts: [ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.