VoyForums

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Eras of Miss USA

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:58:49 01/03/19 Thu

So this is how I think of the history of Miss USA. It is not necessarily related to the changing ownership or broadcast networks or anything. It's just how I tend to view the different periods. I'd be curious to know what others think.

Ancient History: 1952 to 1969
This is before I started watching, so I don't have much connection to these titleholders.

The Early Days: 1970 to 1979
The first pageant I can remember watching was 1970 (Debbie Shelton). I feel like the 70s had some ups and downs. There were some great titleholders (e.g., Debbie Shelton) but mostly it seems like a not-so-good decade.

The Golden Age: 1980 to 1997
This was a long period bookended by Miss Universe winners. I feel like the pageant hit its stride in this era and also became more diverse (the first Latina, African American, and Asian winners). There were a few winners that I didn't get at all, but overall these were good years. This period includes the 5 Texas aces.

Transition Years: 1998 to 2002
I think MUO was trying to figure out what Miss USA should be like and what the pageant should be like. For a while, they tried "plain and simple" (along the lines of Miss America... awful!) and some of the pageants themselves were terrible, especially 2001.

The Modern Era: 2003 to 2015, 2018
These are the years that seem like Miss USA as we know it today. Lots of great winners, although there was a period where I feel they rewarded bodies that were way too thin. But overall, I like these titleholders.

The Asterisk Years: 2016, 2017
I think of both of these years as an aberration, when they were much more interested in "stories" than anything else. This is nothing against Deshauna or Kara; it just felt like things were out of kilter those two years. At the most recent pageant it seemed like they found a better balance once again.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Great analysis. I am 50 so I started watching pageants religiously around 84. The 80's was all about Texas. I have always hated top 3 instead of top 5 so the 90's and early 2000's had me feeling a bit robbed. From 2003 until 2015 were great times for fans. The new era is still a big question mark to me. Of the 3 crowned at USA, none would have been my pick. At Universe, I Iike all 3, 2016 more when she gave up her title to Demi.

Author:
chexmex
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:50:56 01/04/19 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Yes, I much prefer Top 5 to Top 3. It makes the crowning more exciting to count down from 4th runner up. And I know what you mean about the new era. I do feel like this year was an improvement, but it remains to be seen where things will go next.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:56:56 01/04/19 Fri

Yes, I much prefer Top 5 to Top 3. It makes the crowning more exciting to count down from 4th runner up. And I know what you mean about the new era. I do feel like this year was an improvement, but it remains to be seen where things will go next.

[> Subject: I've seen every Miss USA crowned since 1965 when Miss Ohio, Sue Ann Downey won. Not missed a one since then. The most beautiful in my opinion? Ali Landry. Even more gorgeous in person.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:49:31 01/04/19 Fri

[> [> Subject: Yep, Ali Landry was one of the very best, and she sort of represents the end of that golden age in my mind.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:41 01/04/19 Fri

Yep, Ali Landry was one of the very best, and she sort of represents the end of that golden age in my mind.

[> Subject: Doot, me too! I met her when she was a guest of the Miss Texas USA Pageant during her reign. She looked like a drop dead gorgeous movie star. So nice too! Asked where I was from, etc. Also met Terri Utley,Shaunae Jebbia, Summer Bartholomew, and Maria Remenyi. Only 2 Miss Universes' s though. Margaret Gardiner and Lupita Jones.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:59:33 01/04/19 Fri

[> [> Subject: Wow! I didn't know you were so connected! LOL! I have never met a major titleholder, although once had a dream in which I was good friends with Angela Visser (my favorite Miss Universe).

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:03:08 01/04/19 Fri

Wow! I didn't know you were so connected! LOL! I have never met a major titleholder, although once had a dream in which I was good friends with Angela Visser (my favorite Miss Universe).

[> Subject: I really miss the Bob Barker era, he had a unique style that elevated the suspense a notch higher no host since then has been able to do the same. I don't like the direction IMG is taking Miss USA/Universe. It's no secret girls get questions in advance, and now I read on FB that all contestants will be dressed by Sherri Hill.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:04:00 01/05/19 Sat

[> [> Subject: I agree, the Bob Barker years (1967-1987) were MUO's peak.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:01:46 01/05/19 Sat

[> Subject: Bob Barker: Nobody better before or since.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:58:36 01/05/19 Sat

[> [> Subject: Bob Barker was the exact opposite of Steve Harvey. When Bob interviewed the contestants it was all about them, and he tried to make them look good (rather than talk about himself). Also, he took his duties very seriously. I love how he used to say "I shall now announce the name of the fourth runner up. The fourth runner up is..."

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:20:59 01/06/19 Sun

Bob Barker was the exact opposite of Steve Harvey. When Bob interviewed the contestants it was all about them, and he tried to make them look good (rather than talk about himself). Also, he took his duties very seriously. I love how he used to say "I shall now announce the name of the fourth runner up. The fourth runner up is..."

[> [> [> Subject: Seriously. I have no idea why people like Steve Harvey. He is such a self-centred creep. I reached 100% disgust when he insisted Miss Myanmar name people in her life who are just as much dead weight on her back compared to the weight of her costume. WTF??! I seriously wanted him to lose his voice that night and be forced to give the mic to anyone else. I am no fan of the annoying trio on the side but I would have much rather had them continue than to listen to that annoying man for one more second. And he is so uncool. Barf.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:40:34 01/06/19 Sun

[> [> [> [> Subject: *miss laos. missed you, el <3

Author:
dink
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:16:33 01/07/19 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Thanks! Missed you too. Will be around more.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:14:34 01/10/19 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Oy don't get me started on how cringe worthy Steve was during Miss Universe 2018. All the jokes her tried to make were horrible and made the contestants appear blank at times, at least Bob Barker, Dick Clark and Bob Goen were able to help the contestants at times. I believe it was Venezuela in 2018 was kind of looking at Steve for a little help with a word, but Steve was just standing their holding the mic and staring, thank goodness Miss Venezuela was able to find the word she wanted or scrape by.

Author:
ValeneEwing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:05:41 01/07/19 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: And remember, they have made it easier for the hosts over the years. Back in Bob Barker's day, the host had to say the contestants' names, which could be quite a challenge! Nowadays, the most difficult thing the host might have to say is Kyrgyzstan (although Steve Harvey was spared that, thank god). I hope they get somebody new next year.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:49:02 01/07/19 Mon

And remember, they have made it easier for the hosts over the years. Back in Bob Barker's day, the host had to say the contestants' names, which could be quite a challenge! Nowadays, the most difficult thing the host might have to say is Kyrgyzstan (although Steve Harvey was spared that, thank god). I hope they get somebody new next year.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: When he botched the ad lib on Australia’s already bad joke of being a pessimist. Oi.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:24:46 01/10/19 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: I can't get past Steve Harvey's oversized fake teeth. He's an attractive man, but yikes, those teeth.

Author:
CTtoCA
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:32:39 01/11/19 Fri

[> Subject: Steve Harvey = TIRED

Author:
chexmex
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:36:14 01/07/19 Mon

[> [> Subject: It's definitely time for a new host. I would love to see Ryan Seacrest host.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:24:25 01/11/19 Fri

[> Subject: Steve is great with English speaking contestants, but he has absolutely NO IDEA how to ad-lib with non-English speaking contestants. I felt because of this, he gave the English speaking contestants an advantage because they understood him and his follow-up questions/comments.

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:03:21 01/11/19 Fri

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
If you want to sign up, please use this form to request
your free code which you can use to sign up for an account.

Existing accounts: [ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.