VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: On-Stage Questions

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:40:55 02/05/19 Tue

Lately, MUO has been giving a list of topics to contestants so they have some idea what the on-stage questions might be about.

Has anyone seen the list or does anyone know how general or specific it is? I'm curious about this.

In any case, I think this is a good idea. The quality of the answers has generally been better the past few years. After Miss USA 2015, I was feeling pretty discouraged by the responses and I think the new format is helping avoid the complete meltdowns and YouTube moments.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Definitely think recieving the topics for potential questions is good. These pageants are supposed to be about celebrating these women, stumping them with overly intricate questions and making them look a fool, when they are so close to the crown/dream, was never a good look for these pageants.

Author:
ValeneEwing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:51:51 02/06/19 Wed

Last edited by author: Wed February 06, 2019 11:56:21   Edited 1 time.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

[> [> Subject: I kinda agree but it makes me nosh when they sound too rehearsed.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:47:36 02/10/19 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: Oh for sure, case in point MAO 2019/MA 2.0 last September, but i believe the contestants actually got the questions in advance to prepare and the majority sounded painfully rehearsed. It really is subjective because one person will think one contestants sounds rehearsed while another will say she is well spoken, i think this happened to Catriona at Binibining and a bit at Universe; some were blown away by her delivery and answers and others felt she sounded fake or rehearsed.

Author:
ValeneEwing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:00:22 02/10/19 Sun

Last edited by author: Sun February 10, 2019 16:00:45   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> [> Subject: I think the Phils just covered ALL the bases in possible questions. Catriona did sound too prepared. Am I the only one who thinks she goofed a little bit on her top5 answer?

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:20:15 02/10/19 Sun

Last edited by author: Sun February 10, 2019 16:20:41   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yeah, she basically said cigarettes are good, but in moderation, LOL. In terms of the content, it was a bit jumbled, but her delivery sounded smooth, which I guess is what counted the most.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:16:20 02/10/19 Sun

Yeah, she basically said cigarettes are good, but in moderation, LOL. In terms of the content, it was a bit jumbled, but her delivery sounded smooth, which I guess is what counted the most.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yes! The word “good” was a hurried choice. She should have focused on “legal”.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:10:56 02/11/19 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: This is what I didn't like about the TOP 20 personal statements or whatever they were called. A lot of them just sounded memorized.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:17:57 02/10/19 Sun

This is what I didn't like about the TOP 20 personal statements or whatever they were called. A lot of them just sounded memorized.

[> [> [> [> Subject: I liked it because we got to actually hear from the international contestants onstage in competition. I mean we got to hear some pretape blurbs, but hearing them in finals and 20 of them was enjoyable. I mean you tell the girls that if they make top 20 they have to be prepared to give a statement of course they are going to prepare a blurb about themselves, once again it's going to be subjective to some people girls will sound rehearsed or stiff, and some will sound natural, professional, put together. I think back to Miss Jamaica, she tried to memorize her answer and that back fired on her majorly.

Author:
ValeneEwing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:51:03 02/10/19 Sun

Last edited by author: Sun February 10, 2019 20:54:24   Edited 3 times.

[> Subject: I like when the contestants gave spontaneous unrehearsed answers, because it added to the suspense.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:55:04 02/10/19 Sun

[> [> Subject: I think the possible meltdowns add thrill, except when it happens to my favs. I’m evil like that.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:16:18 02/11/19 Mon

[> Subject: I like it that the contestants are given a heads-up. I don't think there's a need for the not-so-long ago days (or owners) who wanted publicity over all else, no matter how bad the contestants looked. Now that I think of it, that way of doing things was a precursor to how the ex-owner treats his adversaries to this day. Embarrass them.

Author:
perky
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:26:55 02/12/19 Tue

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.