VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Miss Universe Catriona Gray gets New York Post coverage

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:09:53 03/03/19 Sun

Her journey to Miss Universe started at a young age, but it wasnt originally her own dream. The brunette beauty grew up in Cairns, Australia. Her father is a retired Scottish engineer and her Filipina mother is an accountant who herself once auditioned for the Miss Philippines pageant, but didnt make it to the finals.

Instead, Grays mom put her daughter in local modeling competitions, and Gray won Little Miss Philippines when she was 5 years old. Still, she said, I never had an interest in pageantry.

A fashion photographer in Manila scouted her when she was 13, and Gray began flying to the Philippines every summer to do editorials and beauty campaigns.

I was an only child and was a little bit sheltered, Gray said of her teen years. But at 17 she decided to take a gap year before starting college and move by herself to Manila, where she became a full-time model and also started volunteering for Young Focus, a charity that focuses on childhood poverty.

It was a frustrating time in my life as a young adult, and I just wanted to concentrate on other people instead of my own situation, Gray said.

Thats when she began to take an interest in pageantry, after seeing how it is treated as a national sport in the Philippines.

I saw how much pageants demanded attention, and so I thought about what more I can do to pull awareness about the things Im passionate about, Gray said. In 2016, she was one of five women to win Miss Philippines (each queen goes on to represent the country in an international pageant). She was assigned to compete in Miss World, where she was a finalist.

For photos go to www.nypost.com

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: As an Australian citizen, do others wonder if Catriona would have had the same success had she competed in the Australian pageant system(s)?

Author:
MLB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:16:43 03/08/19 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: I don't think so, Catriona looks more Filipino than Australian. She might place in the local pageant, but not a winner.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:35:46 03/08/19 Fri

[> Subject: Catriona is gorgeous. It would be hard to overlook her in any pageant. She would stand out like a sore thumb.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:39:43 03/12/19 Tue

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.