VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: When Miss USA was first runner-up

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:52:40 09/14/19 Sat

Here's a question. In the years when Miss USA was first runner-up at Miss Universe, do you think she should have won?

These are my answers...

1953: Myrna Hansen (lost to Christiane Martel, France)... No

1970: Debbie Shelton (lost to Marisol Malaret, Puerto Rico)... YES, YES, YES!!!

1973: Amanda Jones (lost to Margarita Moran, Philippines)... Not sure about this one. Hmmm...

1978: Judi Anderson (lost to Margaret Gardiner, South Africa)... No

1983: Julie Hayek (lost to Lorraine Downes, New Zealand)... Close call, but no

1986: Christy Fitchner (lost to Barbara Palacios, Venezuela)... Yes

1990: Carole Gist (lost to Mona Grudt, Norway)... No

2004: Shandi Finnessey (lost to Jennifer Hawkins, Australia)... Another close call, but yes

2014: Nia Sanchez (lost to Paulina Vega, Colombia)... YES, YES, YES

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Seeing as Amanda Jones was ever the reluctant beauty queen, I'd say no, because I think Margarita Moran was more elegant and probably wanted it a lot more than Amanda. Plus from what we have heard through the years Amanda has all, but forgotten her pageant wins, while Margarita still proudly enjoys being a former Binibining Pilipinas and Miss Universe winner.

Author:
ValeneEwing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:54:29 09/15/19 Sun

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Yes, this is why I was hesitant. I wasn't really wild about either of them (although I liked Amanda's sassy attitude). But it's true that at least Margarita embraced her win.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:35:03 09/16/19 Mon

[> [> Subject: I have never bought Amanda Jones' story. Her modeling agent asking her to enter is ridiculous. Most professional models don't do pageants and don't like them. She wasn't forced to enter ILL USA. She could have resigned before USA. After USA, she could have resigned before Universe. She wanted to win all 3.

Author:
robbinsgh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:13:37 09/29/19 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: That makes a lot of sense. I never really thought about it. On the other hand, she really did disappear from the pageant world (and the world in general) right after she gave up her Miss USA crown, so it seems like she was glad to be done with it. I'd love to know what ever became of her.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:58:00 09/29/19 Sun

That makes a lot of sense. I never really thought about it. On the other hand, she really did disappear from the pageant world (and the world in general) right after she gave up her Miss USA crown, so it seems like she was glad to be done with it. I'd love to know what ever became of her.

[> [> [> Subject: I don't know about that, I wasn't born yet, I assumed modeling and pageantry went hand-in-hand in the 60s and 70s and maybe into the early 80s, but then mainstream modeling started to look down on pageants. Please correct me if I am wrong or provide insight. Thank you!

Author:
ValeneEwing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:57:56 10/06/19 Sun

[> Subject: 2014 - I didn't want either to be Miss Universe - that crown belonged to Jamaica IMO. The rest are alright.

Author:
HIM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:01:06 09/15/19 Sun

[> Subject: From the years I've watched (1968-now): 1970-Yes. 1973-No; agreed w/ Philippines win. 1978-Yes. 1983-No; my top 2 were Switzerland and New Zealand. 1986-No; my top 2 were Venezuela and Brazil. 1990-Yes. 2004-No; my top 2 were Australia and Paraguay. 2014-No; my top 2 were Jamaica and Spain.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:10:02 09/15/19 Sun

[> Subject: Wow. It's my first time being able to login in a while. 1990 - USA should have won. Even now, 29 years later, I don't get Mona Grudt. Note, I do like her. It's just that for me, her win was too dominating. She took first in every portion of the competition. She wasn't a dark horse like Susmita. It was as if Mona was Oxana F. or Angela V., and she simply was not.

Author:
SeminoleNation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:33:22 09/16/19 Mon

[> Subject: 1970 - Yes, 1973 - No, 1978 - No, 1983 - This one is tough, but no, 1986 - Yes, 1990 - Yes (although I grew to like Mona more in time), 2004 - I really like Shandi but no. I loved Jennifer being Miss Universe. 2014 - Yes

Author:
PF-Indy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:47:18 09/17/19 Tue

[> Subject: Lovee Shandi, but Jennifer is a superstar, so I think the right girl won.

Author:
HCF
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:05:42 10/06/19 Sun

[> Subject: http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/9699/reluctant.html

Author:
ValeneEwing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:59:16 10/06/19 Sun

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.