VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: I am not familiar with the first two but I was not a fan of Shauntay and Rima. Maybe it was just general preference vs perceived politics. 2002 should have included Puerto Rico as a political gesture before Shauntay. Rima, no comment.

Author:
eloise
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:26:22 11/04/19 Mon
In reply to: No Name 's message, "Does anyone have any idea why Barbara Peterson, Kim Pressler, Shauntay Hinton and Rima Fakih did not place in Miss Universe. Did they not deserve it or were politics involved?" on 23:02:56 11/03/19 Sun

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Barbara Peterson and Kim Pressler seemed like two of the most inexplicable choices at Miss USA the night they won. So it didn't seem odd to me that they missed the cut at Miss Universe. Shauntay Hinton was Miss USA during the weird transitional period where they were trying to figure out a new identity for the pageant and I think she just wasn't a good fit for where Miss Universe was going. I think Rima Fakih was a legitimate winner the night of Miss USA (although I was not wild about anyone in that Top 5), but she never seemed as appealing as on that night; maybe it seemed that way to the judges at MU as well.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:00:43 11/04/19 Mon

Barbara Peterson and Kim Pressler seemed like two of the most inexplicable choices at Miss USA the night they won. So it didn't seem odd to me that they missed the cut at Miss Universe. Shauntay Hinton was Miss USA during the weird transitional period where they were trying to figure out a new identity for the pageant and I think she just wasn't a good fit for where Miss Universe was going. I think Rima Fakih was a legitimate winner the night of Miss USA (although I was not wild about anyone in that Top 5), but she never seemed as appealing as on that night; maybe it seemed that way to the judges at MU as well.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: After all these years, Kimberly Pressler's win is perhaps the most baffling in Miss USA history. Kimmie was 9th in Interview, 2nd in Swimsuit (just barely tying for 1st despite not having the best physique or catwalk) and 4th in Evening Gown putting her in 4th place heading into the Top 5 Q&A where she placed 2nd. She was the only Top 5 finalist who was asked all these "If you became Miss USA" questions -- almost as if this was a signal made to the judges that she was MUO's chosen one despite being lackluster from start to finish. Her final answer wasn't the strongest either. On Tom's Page of Miss Universe Mania, he looked into the theory that Kimmie won based on a judge's split vote but according to him, several judges must have had her as their winner in order for her to take the crown, which makes me wonder what the judge's briefing was like before the telecast.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:22:38 11/05/19 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Good point about the judge's briefing. I always think of the years from about 1998 to 2002 as a weird transition period for MUO, especially as it affected the Miss USA pageant. I seems like they weren't sure what they were looking for or how the pageant itself should be done. (Remember the 2000 pageant where everyone was "dressed down" and wearing very little make-up?) So I think we can look at Kim's win in light of the fact that things were a bit unsettled in that era. And so who knows what the judges were told to look for.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:46:26 11/05/19 Tue

Good point about the judge's briefing. I always think of the years from about 1998 to 2002 as a weird transition period for MUO, especially as it affected the Miss USA pageant. I seems like they weren't sure what they were looking for or how the pageant itself should be done. (Remember the 2000 pageant where everyone was "dressed down" and wearing very little make-up?) So I think we can look at Kim's win in light of the fact that things were a bit unsettled in that era. And so who knows what the judges were told to look for.

[> [> [> [> Subject: It’s crazy, because I actually think Kim looks better today than when she did win over 20 years ago. While still lovely, I never got Shauntay, or Rima, or Barbara (though watching back, she should’ve placed at MU76).

Author:
pixiestix101
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:57:26 11/06/19 Wed

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.