VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: My biggest shock was Kelli McCarty making the top 10 at Miss Universe 1991. I would have given her spot to Chile or Ireland.

Author:
PF-Indy
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:50:24 11/06/19 Wed
In reply to: SeminoleNation 's message, "This topic is so interesting, even decades later (e.g., Barbara; Kim). For me, it's also a matter of why did so many undeserving Miss USA's place at Miss Universe. I get these four not making the cut, but there are several others who did ONLY because they were Miss USA. In a act of respect, I will not name them. But....." on 18:44:28 11/06/19 Wed

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: And then she advanced to the Top 6 LOL!

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:01:41 11/06/19 Wed

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: I've always wondered if maybe the reason that Barbara Peterson did not place was politics. Didn't Israel win Universe that year? There had been so much crap going on in the Middle East during that time period, that having both Israel and the USA both in the finals may have ignited something. Remember, there had been a bombing at Miss USA just a few years before that had killed over 20 people and Lebanon's Georgina Rizk was not even able to return to crown her successor for fear of something getting started. It's just a theory, but there may be some validity to it. Or otherwise, she may have just sucked in the preliminaries.

Author:
No Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:34:25 11/06/19 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Wasn't it rumored that Barbara Peterson won Miss USA because she was from a well-connected Minnesota political family? The MU 1976 judges may not have liked her but MUO obviously did, because Barbara Peterson returned to Miss USA as a judge three times and as a guest during the anniversary celebration years.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:58:19 11/07/19 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: Going as far back as 1980, Mai Shanley, Kelli McCarty, Shannon Marketic and Lynnette Cole did not impress me with their Universe performance and I think their Top 10 position could/should/would have gone to another candidate who would have been more competitive. Unless she aced her interview, Sarah Summers was not worthy of her top 20. All of the titleholders mentioned above just seemed to lack style and spark on the Universe stage and it was evident by their lackluster performance. We all know that at Universe, you have to up your game. The formula/look/style that brought one success at USA may not always translate to the Universe competition.

Author:
MLB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:37:40 11/08/19 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: None of these 4 should have never won USA to begin with.

Author:
ghrtt3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:56:39 11/09/19 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Exactly, especially Rima---look who was on the panel that year--that crackpot Johnny Weir who was proud of the fact that a non blonde won and that Rima didn't look like a Pageant girl--- ie not good looking.

Author:
It's not the contestant, it's who's on the panel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:01:47 11/09/19 Sat

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.