VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: It just dawned on me I am still mad that for like the last 5 years, I have preferred the 1st runner up to Miss USA more than the actual Miss USA. While they all end up being lovely, I just canít help but think the USA could have taken the universe by storm those years, especially Ď16 & Ď19s. Oh well, I guess itís the name of the game!!

Author:
pixiestix101
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 23:46:00 11/06/19 Wed

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: I still have no idea what IMG is looking for in a titleholder. We already know that intelligence, occupation and likability are priorities, while beauty seems to be the least important quality.

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:05:21 11/07/19 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: It's interesting how Miss USA has become so unpredictable these past few years. Starting in 2016, each year's winner has been a pretty big surprise to most people, while Miss Universe seems to be going in the other direction (I have picked the last 4 winners in a row).

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:04:03 11/07/19 Thu

It's interesting how Miss USA has become so unpredictable these past few years. Starting in 2016, each year's winner has been a pretty big surprise to most people, while Miss Universe seems to be going in the other direction (I have picked the last 4 winners in a row).

[> [> Subject: 2016 (Military Captain), 2017 (Scientist), 2018 (Nurse) and 2019 (Lawyer). If anyone thinks a contestant's occupation going into Miss USA has nothing to do with the scores/judging/winning, they're drunk. The irony is the salary MUO offers up is less than what these professions pay. Rumor has it MUO doles out $40,000 a year for Miss USA and Miss Universe and $30,000 for Miss Teen USA.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:08:30 11/15/19 Fri

[> Subject: While I much prefer former titleholders judging over a very random, purely star-studded panel that can go all over the place, I can't decide if the past four years were the judges cross-cutting each other to accidentally crown the second runner-up, or just a case of impactful stories making the producers have stars in their eyes over the Miss USA brand becoming more lifestyle/motivational speaker, while with Universe they recognize pageant fans would MUTINY. Here's hoping the IMG folks remember their pageant base for next year's Miss USA - they'll need to after these past four years.

Author:
Vivien
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:01:31 11/14/19 Thu

[> Subject: They are going to pick a real girl with genuine beauty over blank beauty . Period . The past four winners have been that . You just have to get used to the fact that US beauty standards are changing . People donít want perfect titleholders that do nothing . They want real women who do something.

Author:
NT
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:28:47 11/14/19 Thu

[> [> Subject: I hear what you're saying and I get it. And you're right about what MUO is looking for now. The thing for me though is that I already understand and believe that women can be scientists and lawyers and army captains. I don't need to be convinced of that. I just want my pageants to be fun. No one expects the winner of, say, American Idol to also be a scientist, or cares if the winner of the National Crossword Competition is also a lawyer. Winning those things is achievement enough. That's how I feel about pageants. But I realize that MUO is trying to keep pageants "relevant" and trying to appeal to a wider audience than us die-hards.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:13:23 11/14/19 Thu

I hear what you're saying and I get it. And you're right about what MUO is looking for now. The thing for me though is that I already understand and believe that women can be scientists and lawyers and army captains. I don't need to be convinced of that. I just want my pageants to be fun. No one expects the winner of, say, American Idol to also be a scientist, or cares if the winner of the National Crossword Competition is also a lawyer. Winning those things is achievement enough. That's how I feel about pageants. But I realize that MUO is trying to keep pageants "relevant" and trying to appeal to a wider audience than us die-hards.

[> Subject: Also the only girls with real jobs or something to talk about at this point are RI , WI , ID, MI , TN AND MS so if you like a girl tell her to start doing something more than just being pretty. A headshot canít win anymore

Author:
NT
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:36:03 11/14/19 Thu

[> Subject: Also IL AND PA

Author:
NT
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:37:47 11/14/19 Thu

[> Subject: 2019 def should have gone to NM. She would sail to MUtop5, even 3 but I was not shocked at all that NC won. It almost felt it would be wrong to crown the most beautiful non-lawyer/scientist/army-navy person. I have to say though, I dont rmmbr anyoneís runner-up in the last five yrs exc Hawaii. They werenít that much more impactful to me.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:48:06 11/14/19 Thu

Last edited by author: Thu November 14, 2019 16:17:17   Edited 1 time.

[> [> Subject: How quickly we forget that there WERE many more physically beautiful girls than Cheslie who ALSO had college degrees and good jobs.

Author:
Catherine Sloper
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:13:31 11/14/19 Thu

[> [> Subject: Agree about 1st runners-up. Only Hawaii really stood out to me and when she lost to DC it marked a very clear turning point in Miss USA. And I do think NM would have been a better choice overall than NC this year.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:06:15 11/14/19 Thu

Agree about 1st runners-up. Only Hawaii really stood out to me and when she lost to DC it marked a very clear turning point in Miss USA. And I do think NM would have been a better choice overall than NC this year.

[> Subject: Your problem is that you want a Miss USA to your standard. I didn't care for Tara, Kandace, and what's her face in 2011. But I knew that appeal to other fans.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:14:01 11/14/19 Thu

[> Subject: PREACH!!!!^^^^ amen.so on point .

Author:
NT
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:28:27 11/15/19 Fri

[> Subject: 2016 (Military Captain), 2017 (Scientist), 2018 (Nurse) and 2019 (Lawyer). If anyone thinks a contestant's occupation going into Miss USA has nothing to do with the scores/judging/winning, they're drunk. The irony is the salary MUO offers up is less than what these professions pay. Rumor has it MUO doles out $40,000 a year for Miss USA and Miss Universe and $30,000 for Miss Teen USA...

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:09:37 11/15/19 Fri

[> [> Subject: Wrong - itís is 75000 for miss USA, 40000 for miss teen USA and not sure for miss universe- I signed the contract in 2019.

Author:
FORMER
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:17:20 11/15/19 Fri

[> [> Subject: But you are right . Whoever listed those states above is spot on . At this point those are the women who you should be looking at as ď front runners ď as the boards say

Author:
FORMER
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:19:55 11/15/19 Fri

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.